PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Tigers [Round 1, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I'm just hoping that having Snake back mentoring our young backs will pay divdends. I have a sneaky feeling we're going to see the best out of Suli, Parker, Garrick and Elliot. These guys are talented players and it all voils down to being confident in yourself. With Des and Snake behind them all through summer I think we'll see something different from these guys. Their moment to shine and their football careers all hinge on this season. It's make or break time for these guys. Best of luck boys let's get behind them and give them our support.
I’d love to see Snake running the water and directing the defence.

Well ... in eleven (11) pages of this thread .... I found at least 5 posts that were informative or interesting .....

FMD ..... no wonder I call you lot a bunch of numbnuts .....
And two of them were mine!

Well ... in eleven (11) pages of this thread .... I found at least 5 posts that were informative or interesting .....

FMD ..... no wonder I call you lot a bunch of numbnuts .....
And let me guess, those five posts were all yours? You need to become a moderator so that you can just delete all the ones you find of little value? Then Silvertails can go full facist Herr Woodsie. You'd probably be talking to yourself a lot though ..... and the so called PPC / numb nut brigade can set up a splinter forum where we can just write crap?

Just for a bit of interest sake, from the records I could find, here are Manly's Round 1 teams from our last 5 premiership years of 1978, 1987, 1996, 2008 and 2011.

1978 - Manly 19 def. St George 5 @ Brookvale Oval (23,168)
Graham Eadie, Tom Mooney, Ray Branighan, Russel Gartner, Stephen Knight, Alan Thompson, John Gibbs, Ian Thomson, Max Krilich, John Gray, Bruce Walker, Ray Higgs, Terry Randall (c). Bench - Simon Booth.

1987 - Manly 4 drew with St George 4 @ Belmore Sports Ground (10,650)
Dale Shearer, Stuart Davis, Chris Close, Michael O'Connor, Darrell Williams, Martin Meredith, Des Hasler, Phil Daley, Mal Cochrane, Paul Vautin (c), Ian Barkley, Ron Gibbs, Cliff Lyons. Bench - Glenn Ryan, Mitchell Cox.

1996 - Manly 44 def. Souffs 6 @ Brookvale Oval (6,532)
John Hopoate, Danny Moore, Craig Innes, Terry Hill, Jack Elsegood, Cliff Lyons, Geoff Toovey (c), Matthew Guberina, Des Hasler, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, David Gillespie, Owen Cunningham. Bench - Daniel Gartner, Solomon Haumono, Scott Fulton, Shannon Nevin.

2008 - Cronulla 16 def. Manly 10 @ Brookvale Oval (15,424)
Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steven Bell, David Vaealiki, Michael Bani, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford (c), Jason King, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart, Steve Menzies. Bench - Josh Perry, Luke Williamson, Adam Cuthbertson, Mark Bryant.

2011 - Melbourne 18 def. Manly 6 @ AAMI Park (14,651)
Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Jamie Lyon (c), Tony Williams, Will Hopoate, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jason King (c), Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Joe Galuvao, Glenn Stewart. Bench - Terence Seuseu, Jamie Buhrer, George Rose, Vic Mauro.

Just for a bit of interest sake, from the records I could find, here are Manly's Round 1 teams from our last 5 premiership years of 1978, 1987, 1996, 2008 and 2011.

Graham Eadie, Tom Mooney, Ray Branighan, Russel Gartner, Stephen Knight, Alan Thompson, John Gibbs, Ian Thomson, Max Krilich, John Gray, Bruce Walker, Ray Higgs, Terry Randall (c). Bench - Simon Booth.

Dale Shearer, Stuart Davis, Chris Close, Michael O'Connor, Darrell Williams, Martin Meredith, Des Hasler, Phil Daley, Mal Cochrane, Paul Vautin (c), Ian Barkley, Ron Gibbs, Cliff Lyons. Bench - Glenn Ryan, Mitchell Cox.

John Hopoate, Danny Moore, Craig Innes, Terry Hill, Jack Elsegood, Cliff Lyons, Geoff Toovey (c), Matthew Guberina, Des Hasler, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, David Gillespie, Owen Cunningham. Bench - Daniel Gartner, Solomon Haumono, Scott Fulton, Shannon Nevin.

Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steven Bell, David Vaealiki, Michael Bani, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford (c), Jason King, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart, Steve Menzies. Bench - Josh Perry, Luke Williamson, Adam Cuthbertson, Mark Bryant.

Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Jamie Lyon (c), Tony Williams, Will Hopoate, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jason King (c), Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Joe Galuvao, Glenn Stewart. Bench - Terence Seuseu, Jamie Buhrer, George Rose, Vic Mauro.
Oh to have a collection of those players back.
We've just got to enjoy the journey back to greatness from here...

Looks like, statistically speaking, we are due a draw.

Paul Vautin prop in 87?
And Cliffy lock??
Something I didn't expect to see...

Paul Vautin prop in 87?
And Cliffy lock??
Something I didn't expect to see...

Not surprised at Fatty playing prop, he could fill in anywhere in the pack really. Though it was his first game there since Round 25 in 1983.

In 1987, Bozo played Martin Meredith at 5/8 for our first 5 rounds of the season (we had a bye in Rd.5) before Cliffy got his hands on the #6 jumper. And in that Round 7 game we actually lost 18-28 at Brookie to Souffs.

Greatly appreciated HM by those of us who would otherwise not see it. Interesting comments by Matty.
I was really interested to hear Matty's viewpoint as he had Dez as his coach.

If he has noticed a positive change since 2011 then strap yourselves in
giphy.gif

Yep and despite what Allan Langer's been doing for years, you can bet if Snake did it the NRL would jump all over it.

You know something people? I don't think we're a bad shot at winning on Saturday night. I actually think we might well do this one.
You’ve got me. I’m on the bandwagon
Must be close to full !

Surprised no-one else seems to be going ape **** like me over this team announced?

Hahaha.

Maybe I'm wrong here.
I'll reserve judgement til after the few first rounds. Not that there's much des can really work with atm In terms of changes anyway. Other than perhaps Funa. I think we will go alright mate

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8