PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Penrith [Round 4, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
ONE OF THE GREATEST PLEASURES IN LIFE IS

DOING WHAT PEOPLE SAY WE CANNOT DO

TONIGHT WE FLY WHERE ONLY EAGLES DARE AND PROVE ALL THE BASTARDS WRONG !

Personally, I will be annoyed if Sipley gets cut from the 19. Showed more in his 15 mins last week than any of our other props have to date, including Paseka and Taupau. Why drop him when he bent the line and showed us some real go-forward each carry?
Ummm coz Des is our coach!

I think it will be Panthers by plenty .. and it's terrible...
Look at the Panthers.. first choice hooker has a broken wrist..
First choice fullback has a broken hand
They will play an untested kid halfback in the centres..
They are in no better shape then we are... Difference is, they will put 40 on us, while we will again make the excuse
"We dont have our first choice hooker, or fullback, and our centre is crap"

Just imagine if Manly won!

yeah nah .... that ain’t going to happen!

just sayin’
I COULD imagine Manly winning or I could imagine that I'm sitting at a table outside a small cafe in Monte Carlo. A young Audrey Hepburn is smiling at me from the other chair. She's wearing a pleated skirt and a cream silk blouse. I'm wearing a linen suit and bespoke leather shoes. My fedora rests on the table. I'm sipping cognac while I contemplate how Audrey and I might spend the several millions of pounds I won at the tables the previous night. On the cobble street the hot Mediterranean sun is shinning blindingly on the immaculate red paint of my Ferrari 250 GTO.

The waiter brings me a copy of L'Equipe. I turn to the Australian Rugby League page and find that the Sea Eagles beat the Panthers 24 to 8. My happiness is complete.

I COULD imagine Manly winning or I could imagine that I'm sitting at a table outside a small cafe in Monte Carlo. A young Audrey Hepburn is smiling at me from the other chair. She's wearing a pleated skirt and a cream silk blouse. I'm wearing a linen suit and bespoke leather shoes. My fedora rests on the table. I'm sipping cognac while I contemplate how Audrey and I might spend the several millions of pounds I won at the tables the previous night. On the cobble street the hot Mediterranean sun is shinning blindingly on the immaculate red paint of my Ferrari 250 GTO.

The waiter brings me a copy of L'Equipe. I turn to the Australian Rugby League page and find that the Sea Eagles beat the Panthers 24 to 8. My happiness is complete.
Do not awake from your dream and spoil it.

WAKE UP... The game is about to start!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 40 minutes to go and the boys get a wonderful all expences paid long weekend and an 8 day turn around.
Des will have then back in time for a massage and chat next Tuesday

I'll sit and watch the replay to make sure I'm not missing something. But I've been saying for the past few years that our problem is in the backline, and outside DCE. DCE in my mind is not the problem. This backline is reserve grade standard and has been for the past few years. The Parker-Suli combination achieves nothing. No imagination, no pace and too slow to cover defensively, even though in tight Parker is quite good defensively.

I'll upset quite a few here, but I've felt this problem coming for a few years, partly the result of injury, but also relating to the selection policy of Barrett and now Hasler.

No 1. Fiddling around with your best centre in Walker, by moving him to positions not suited for his style, weakens that position and weakens the centres. He's a centre full stop. Leave him there

No 2 Parker is not a first grade centre. Possibly a backrower, but not centre. His partner Suli has shown nothing in recent times to justify his spot either, though he may have potential.

No 3 Full Back needs a good positional player, reasonably good defender, good catcher of the ball and most importantly someone with speed who becomes the extra attacking man in the backline. And it needs someone experienced in the position, who's been there during their playing career. Turbo, when fit is top draw. But no one else comes close though Harper and Funa do adequately. Maybe young Koula, who starred in that position in the juniors. Take a risk. Eadie was 18 when he got his chance and if Turbo's injuries continue we'll need a top replacement, so lets see what he's got. Thing is you need someone there who has played there a lot and knows positionally what to do. Garrett and Walker looked lost because they haven't played in that position enough to know what to do.

N0 4. I know there's a lot of Foranophiles on this site. Today, I'm not one of them. 10 years ago I admired the bloke, but today like every 5/8 we've had since we lost Green, he stifles the attack. He's very clever and does some good things, but his day has gone. Hasler brought him into this side as a temporary replacement for Fainu, and I could see the sense in that. With Cust, they would make a reasonable effort until hopefully Fainu returns, and we desperately need someone creative i that position. Foran would be a good choice in that regard

No 5 Schuster is totally wasted in the second row. The kid played second row in juniors, but he didn't star until he was 5/8 and that is where his skill needs to be. He's raw, overplays some movements, but he sets the game alive and ensures the backs get excellent service. That's why he was so highly regarded in the juniors and won best player awards in the entire junior comps in his last few years. He's a natural ball player, and having him in the second row just stifles his talent, wasting it on heavy defence (of which he handles well). He's left out of the play and that's where he needs to be. in my mind not having him at 5/8 is crazy.

No 6 Des seems to stick with the same forwards who underachieve while his better younger squad get ignored.

Cleary has shown that when you give the young bucks a chance, the enthusiasm in the side goes up several notches. Barrett and now Des are not learning that lesson. At the moment I would have Cleary coaching this side in an instant. He uses what he's got effectively and isn't scared of risk taking with the young. Des to me is becoming a sedentary old man, increasingly conservative. And to think he was probably the fittest, enthusiastic player in the game at one stage. He's forgotten the chance he got as a kid, when Fulton saw a star in the making from nothing and got him straight into firsts. That's what Des should be doing now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8