PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Penrith [Round 12, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Noice!

It's 1 v 8 in a game I'm surprised V'landys doesn't want this match renamed "SBW is back in Australia! Does everyone know about? it ".

Manly are riding high(er) after two good wins and the Panthers got home after the Titans gave them a good scare until the refs woke up.

How good would these two points be? (Ans...very)

edit: Gawd I hate walking up, re-reading my post, and seeing I left words like 'this match' out of my original musings!

Don't type sleepy folks! sheesh.

fmd - I just saw I spelt 'sleepy' incorrectly.

Go Manly!

Last edited:

Team news
Sea Eagles: Second-rower Joel Thompson played just 11 minutes against the Cowboys after spraining his ankle but reports were that Manly was prepared to use him if needed. An eight-day turnaround could help his cause to play. Prop Morgan Boyle is approaching a return from a groin injury. Five-eighth Dylan Walker may only be sidelined for another week.

Panthers: Coach Ivan Cleary was hopeful on Sunday that second-rower Viliame Kikau would be right to return from a minor calf injury this week. Prop Zane Tetevano was also scheduled to return this round. Api Koroisau, Dean Whare and Dylan Edwards are still another week away at least.

Key match-up
Cade Cust v Jarome Luai.
No-one doubts that the clash between opposing halfbacks Daly Cherry-Evans and Nathan Cleary will be enthralling, but it's the battle between rival five-eighths Cust and Luai that could prove decisive.
Cust is settling into his role since being promoted to the starting line-up a few weeks ago, scoring an important try in last week's defeat of the Cowboys.
Luai has cemented his position as Cleary's right-hand man and is proving he has the maturity and poise to be a top-flight No.6.

We need to gang up on Fisher-Harris, he's their main man and has been leading the go forward all year. It helps us that Api is missing.
Panthers are on a winning streak and are favourites, which is perfect for us! Should be a pretty good match, and there's no reason we can't win this one.

Panthers are going much better since Cleary asked Gould to step down. Can't help but like the club.

Penrith have been (outscoring) their opponents and offer great attack.
But on the flipside they really struggle against strong dirct attack through the middle and containing those quick play balls, the exact area Manly excel.
With Cust playing nice and direct after some big AFB and Kapow charges, will find enough points to win this game....just a matter of culling the points they score, which is a tough ask, but very possible....hoping Thommo is back as defence will be the key, Sirro will have an even bigger task on that right edge, with Kikau and an in form Creighton targeting that edge all day.

Penrith have been (outscoring) their opponents and offer great attack.
But on the flipside they really struggle against strong dirct attack through the middle and containing those quick play balls, the exact area Manly excel.
With Cust playing nice and direct after some big AFB and Kapow charges, will find enough points to win this game....just a matter of culling the points they score, which is a tough ask, but very possible....hoping Thommo is back as defence will be the key, Sirro will have an even bigger task on that right edge, with Kikau and an in form Creighton targeting that edge all day.
Kikau may not play , could be rested to let his injury recover better.

That will help!!

I don't think I've seen Suli get quality early ball since our two finals games last year. I hope that changes this week!
We must send plenty their way out wide. I saw enough last week vs the Titans that their centers can be suspect in defense and we can get at them out wide.

Gosiewski out, Keppie in. Walker on extended bench.

Kikau in for Panthers with Koroisau on the extended bench.

I feel like since Dylan has been named in the reserves he’ll either be playing centre or fullback if he plays. I reckon Des will not want the panthers to expect him to play 5/8 if he plays and Des might be trying to pull a fast one over them. Cust deserves the 6 from here on out I think

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2