PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Cowboys [Round 14, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Des is taking a bit of a gamble. He knows there is no point going for top 4 or 5 that would take too much effort and deflate them finals time. The strategy is pacing to get into the eight on the back of a relatively easy draw, and keeping the guns in the holster.

As much as I dislike Walker based on nearly all his dung beetle efforts as a Sea Eagle, he will get some respect from me if he holds his own and we get a win. I have already given up on the bloke, so it's Des call to prove me wrong. I would never have picked him but I'm through bitchin'

Lets see,

NYEagle

I said he's not over .500 "anymore", then specifically said last few years at Bulldogs , and three back with us.

Anyways, Origin is good, but I think it should be outside of the season proper.

There are players who step back and play within themselves the week before in my opinion (to avoid injury) - which is why I put10 bucks on the Knights last weekend , then rest after the rep game. Frustrates me.

I love that my favourite ever Manly player knocked back Origin (Jamie Lyon) to focus on the club when we were struggling. Bloke was all class. People will bring up the leaving of Parramatta, but how Smith treated him when his wife was heavily sick was disgusting (and a lot of people don't know that story).
Fair enough, Jamie is near my my favourite too (Only just pipped by Beaver and Cliffy) and turning his back on origin to focus on Manly played a large part in that.

I said he's not over .500 "anymore", then specifically said last few years at Bulldogs , and three back with us.

Anyways, Origin is good, but I think it should be outside of the season proper.

There are players who step back and play within themselves the week before in my opinion (to avoid injury) - which is why I put10 bucks on the Knights last weekend , then rest after the rep game. Frustrates me.

I love that my favourite ever Manly player knocked back Origin (Jamie Lyon) to focus on the club when we were struggling. Bloke was all class. People will bring up the leaving of Parramatta, but how Smith treated him when his wife was heavily sick was disgusting (and a lot of people don't know that story).
It’s frustrating that our best player has been out so much with injury and origin commitments are costing us the chance to get our season back on track when he’s fit.

• 100% Tom held back against Newcastle. That’s 2 points
  • He’s out this week, which could cost us another 2 points
  • He’ll be out for the bye round in round 17 and potentially round 18 because once again it’s 2 days after origin we play

That’s 8 points right there that are heavily influenced by things out of the club’s control.

Who knows if he’ll hold back in round 16 too before the origin teams are picked.

How do we end up with 2 Friday games after origin? Bollocks!!

It’s frustrating that our best player has been out so much with injury and origin commitments are costing us the chance to get our season back on track when he’s fit.

• 100% Tom held back against Newcastle. That’s 2 points
  • He’s out this week, which could cost us another 2 points
  • He’ll be out for the bye round in round 17 and potentially round 18 because once again it’s 2 days after origin we play

That’s 8 points right there that are heavily influenced by things out of the club’s control.

Who knows if he’ll hold back in round 16 too before the origin teams are picked.

How do we end up with 2 Friday games after origin? Bollocks!!

Or maybe the rest of the team could lift their game when Tom doesn't play instead of looking like they've never met each other....

When Tom took the 2nd hit up of the game at full speed, I thought go easy mate, hang out in the centres and bludge! Then he proceeded to go 1000 miles an hour for 80 mins in attack and defence.

Impressive, but I knew he wouldn’t be able to back up after that effort.
Would have been nice if Tom had come out like that against the Knights.

Agreed, but we really have no choice.
Walker is making up the numbers of fit players with FG experience and where else can you play him? No way he ousts either Harpo or Scorpio for a centre spot...or take anyone else's backline spot for that matter.
Walker at FB provides the least disruption...unfortunately.
I’ve been a big Walker critic for a long while, but his game v Warriors before he got hurt was probably his best game this year. I’m happy to go with Des on this one. I’ll also happily crucify Dylan if he stuffs up again post game. Haha

I think the thread was made quite early because of Manly's bye (and @Jethro is an efficient champion) and was stickied as the thought was the game is so far away the thread would get lost on page 2,3,4,5,or w/e.

Then... as all mods were partying on Dan's super yacht rolling around in all the ST gold and booze and food and good looking people of our choosing - all of us forgot to "un-sticky" it.
@Will on the hill.
Yep, the thread was made and posted straight after the Round 12 game against the Knights (May 30, 2021 at 7:45 PM) and it was made a 'Sticky' thread for the very reason that @globaleagle mentioned in his post that I have quoted above (well, except for the bit about Dan's super yacht). I had every intention of releasing the thread back out into the open once I had created and posted the Game Day and Post Game Discussion threads and once they were made and posted, the Pre-Game Discussion thread was released.
I love the way you felt the need to spell out that the part about the super yacht wan't true. @:D

Sorry to everyone who actually thought that bit was real...!

It was @SeaEagleRock8 's yacht.
Where did I say that Dan didn't have a super yacht?

All that I was saying was that that part wasn't the reason that the thread wasn't released earlier.

67833c7520292cf719f257d224df7d8b709df90c.gifv

Garrick to FB, Koula to wing, I just don't trust Walker's defensive abilities, I've got serious reservations about our chances with Walker at the back, I can only hope he proves me wrong
Walker was one of the better players for Manly in those 4 games at the start I agree he did have some moments but he was having a dig and playing better than Garrick ,Parker and Suli and now with Garrick and Parker playing a lot better Walker may play better without all the one-way traffic that was coming at him previously

Well, 6 wins, 6 losses equates to .500 by my maths? Maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said, we won 4-5 games in succession after winning 1 from 16. We are now losing again.

Is that death riding, or reality ? Maybe I should make the results up to sound better like you have ?
Losing??? One loss mate where the ref caned us. Fair go that’ll do me. It’s never good enough for sone around here. Haha

Walker was one of the better players for Manly in those 4 games at the start I agree he did have some moments but he was having a dig and playing better than Garrick ,Parker and Suli and now with Garrick and Parker playing a lot better Walker may play better without all the one-way traffic that was coming at him previously
Walker needs to play at center... He's one of the best in the NRL.. Throw him into fullback & he's the worst (fullbacks playing) in the NRL. Stupid is as stupid does. Been there done that & failed. same old same old... Hasler must have Alzheimer's.

Des is taking a bit of a gamble. He knows there is no point going for top 4 or 5 that would take too much effort and deflate them finals time.
Bwahahahaha, too much effort to succeed.........GOOD ONE........bwahahahahaha @:D

The way I see it, mathematically we still have a chance to be MINOR PREMIERS and we should therefore go for it!

Last edited:
Walker needs to play at center... He's one of the best in the NRL.. Throw him into fullback & he's the worst (fullbacks playing) in the NRL. Stupid is as stupid does. Been there done that & failed. same old same old... Hasler must have Alzheimer's.
Yes definitely a way better centre
But can't criticize his effort when he played there , I wouldn't play him there again but I'm not the coach

Yes definitely a way better centre
But can't criticize his effort when he played there , I wouldn't play him there again but I'm not the coach
Unfortunately anyone we put there will be out of position… we don’t have another fullback.

That’s why I don’t get all the hate for Walker. He tried harder than most in the first four weeks.

Garrick has been heavily criticised in the past at fullback, and yet people want him back there.

Walker provides the least disruption to the backline. Everyone should suck it up and support him and the team. Not death ride them

Unfortunately anyone we put there will be out of position… we don’t have another fullback.

That’s why I don’t get all the hate for Walker. He tried harder than most in the first four weeks.

Garrick has been heavily criticised in the past at fullback, and yet people want him back there.

Walker provides the least disruption to the backline. Everyone should suck it up and support him and the team. Not death ride them
There are better options... FFS....

The positive about Walker at fullback is that he was playing okay in the Warriors game before being injured - at least we won.

So many forwards unavailable for this game! First tier - Schuster, Keppie, Aloiai, Saddler, Sironen, Davey. Second tier - Gosiewski, Boyle. Any of them would be welcome at this point.

There are better options... FFS....
Really?

Walker has to play because we don't have enough fit FGers...that's why Burbo and Kurt are in the squad.
So what position do you play Walker?
You can't break up the 2 very successful centre/ wing/ backrower combinations as defence will be paramount with our 2 biggest points providers out.

The only other reasonable option to Walker at FB is him at wing and Garrick at FB.

I don't want Walker anywhere near our 17 but unfortunately he is needed.

I was going to have a rant about Turbo's exclusion from tomorrow's game... instead, I'm just going to say it would have been nice to see him play the way he did yesterday last week against the Knights.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8