PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Eels v Manly [Round 11, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

ellakasmar

Reserve Grader
Look, all in good fun, but here's one serious question - do you think BA can coach you guys to a grand final win? Be honest now! Yes you get some nice modern footy grounds and a couple of decent players from time to time but face facts, winning premierships isn't really your thing. But that's OK, you can still be proud of being in the comp.
There’s a statistic from the Hello Sport Podcast’s show About Even that every single coach has won a grand final in their first 5 years of coaching bar 2. One of those two won it in their 6th year, and the other made the grand final in their 5th year, then won it in their 2nd. History doesn’t lie, and using that statistic Brad Arthur has gone past his expiry date

Stuey Davis’s Socks

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
There’s a statistic from the Hello Sport Podcast’s show About Even that every single coach has won a grand final in their first 5 years of coaching bar 2. One of those two won it in their 6th year, and the other made the grand final in their 5th year, then won it in their 2nd. History doesn’t lie, and using that statistic Brad Arthur has gone past his expiry date
Brian Smith agrees

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don't mind under the radar but **** this...

"Manly coach Des Hasler added: “Dare I say, Parramatta are now the Silvertails and we’re the battlers. They are now the high flyers who have a gun team."

Way to alienate a whole fan site Des
Reverse psychology .... the same myth worked for Roy Masters

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

"Manly coach Des Hasler added: “Dare I say, Parramatta are now the Silvertails and we’re the battlers. They are now the high flyers who have a gun team."

Dan will have to change the site to the fibros

fibros 'n sisters?
fibros 'n gals?
fee fi-bros fum?

~syntax error~

beep

Go Manly!

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

West is now best.

After decades of claiming financial and geographic superiority, Manly has claimed the “battlers” tag ahead of Sunday’s blockbuster against Western Sydney rivals Parramatta.

The Sea Eagles even went as far as to label Parramatta as the new “Silvertails.”

In a throwback to the 1980s, Manly and Parramatta meet at Bankwest Stadium as two of the NRL’s form sides, Parramatta having won five straight games while Manly has claimed five of its past six matches.

Once the millionaires of rugby league, Manly now look on enviously at wealthy Parramatta, who play at a $300 million stadium, train at a $40 million Centre of Excellence, have significant Government support, enjoy the benefits of a wealthy Leagues Club, boast a playing roster which includes 14 representative stars, have won eight of 10 games this season and have a record 30,700 members.

manly al

First Grader
Gee i hope that the team will be up for the challenge against the Eels , will really be able to make a statement if they can jag a win here . If the intensity is there for the full 80 , really like their chances . Des mentioned that Siro could be back but surely not in the run on side .

The Who

Journey Man

West is now best.

After decades of claiming financial and geographic superiority, Manly has claimed the “battlers” tag ahead of Sunday’s blockbuster against Western Sydney rivals Parramatta.

The Sea Eagles even went as far as to label Parramatta as the new “Silvertails.”

In a throwback to the 1980s, Manly and Parramatta meet at Bankwest Stadium as two of the NRL’s form sides, Parramatta having won five straight games while Manly has claimed five of its past six matches.

Once the millionaires of rugby league, Manly now look on enviously at wealthy Parramatta, who play at a $300 million stadium, train at a $40 million Centre of Excellence, have significant Government support, enjoy the benefits of a wealthy Leagues Club, boast a playing roster which includes 14 representative stars, have won eight of 10 games this season and have a record 30,700 members.
Unlike Parramatta, we are so poor we can't even afford a wooden spoon.

manly al

First Grader
Don "t think that the Eels were that short of a quid even through the era of Manly "s description as the so called Silvertails . Always some degree of method and madness in some of Des "s public decrees and let"s see how this one goes .

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
#levelplayingfield

Once the millionaires of rugby league, Manly now look on enviously at wealthy Parramatta, who play at a $300 million stadium, train at a $40 million Centre of Excellence, have significant Government support, enjoy the benefits of a wealthy Leagues Club, boast a playing roster which includes 14 representative stars.

Pete the Eagle

Reserve Grader
Ladder wise we have played 4 of the 6 teams above us and 4 (Dragons, Rorters, Panthers & Souths) of them touched us up on the scoreboard.
Unfortunately parra have a nasty habit of beating us , im concerned how we drop off in some games , we need to be on for the whole game to have any hope of a win.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Eels defence will be hard to crack but we should have enough weapons to score 3 or 4 tries, even without Foz.
Keeping them out will be the problem. They build pressure through their strong forward pack and Moses kicks, and they don't make too many mistakes.
They are running second and that is no fluke, as they've beaten Storm, Raiders and Chooks.
Will be a very interesting measure of how our season resurrection is going, and how far we still have to go.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
The difference is culture between us and them.

For most of their existence they have been fated as the chosen ones based on their geography and the one strong era they had, mid 70s to 80s where they won their premierships.

Since the heady days of the 80s, They have had 2 stadiums built for them by the state government. They have four times as many juniors as us, They have a city for corporate sponsorship, a thriving leagues club and 30K members to boot.

Huge advantage that over the years they have squandered due to their ineptness in relation to keeping quality juniors. A losing culture with a big chip on their shoulders to boot.

I reside in Parramatta and the sense of entitlement that they have makes you laugh. They have a good team right now and are a chance to win this year. I believe they are ahead of themselves as media pets and when the real test comes they will fall away as they tend to do.

As often happens in life, when things are handed to you on a plate, you might not work as hard. Manly were only rich in the 70s due to Brooky being the best home ground in the league and we had backers like Packer injecting money into the place.

Since 2002 its been a shoe string budget and in spite of that we have made 4 grand finals and won a couple more premierships.

We started at the same time as them and our record over time is overwhelmingly impressive compared to them.

For me they will always be the old enemy and no victory is as sweet or defeat as bitter in taste when it comes to the Whinging worms.

I look forward to the next installment on Sunday when we battle them again!

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
They are slime , always were and still are.

They might have a bit on us now but they joined the same year as we did and have been in our shadow for most of that time.

They jagged a team in the early 80’s that fielded the best at the time.

Before that **** all, after that **** all.

They are pretenders !!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18