Poll .. Should Aust. build Nuclear power stations?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Aust. build a nuclear power industry?

• Yes

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Interestingly I saw a Facebook poll , I think done by Chan 7 news , on this issue and the numbers were very similar.

I expect this has changed with those wanting cleaner energy but realising that solar / hydro isn’t going to cut the mustard on this country with our peak demands in summer.

Interestingly I saw a Facebook poll , I think done by Chan 7 news , on this issue and the numbers were very similar.

I expect this has changed with those wanting cleaner energy but realising that solar / hydro isn’t going to cut the mustard on this country with our peak demands in summer.

It may also have as much to do with the cost of energy ... greenie causes are all fun until they hit you in the hip pocket ..

So honestly , for you lefties / greenies amongst us , if we don’t go nuclear and ditch all our coal fired power stations tell me how we are going to manage peak power loads and on top of this power a gazillion new electric cars ???

It’s a genuine question not just a shot across the bow.

Mark, reading the tea leaves .. Nuke is a done deal ...

Have no industry knowledge but I find it hard to accept that it would take 20 years to develop .. surely a deal with an American or Japanese or any one of the following countries to joint build could start turning soil next week.

I mean, USA has 99 nuclear power stations, France 58 ... sweet Jesu ..even that backwoods grotto Canada has 19 of the bloody things ... can't be rocket surgery ..

List countries with nuclear power stations ..

RankCountryNumber of Nuclear Plants
1United States99
2France58
3Japan48
4China35
5Russia34
6North Korea30
7South Korea25
8India21
9Canada19
10United Kingdom16
11Ukraine15
12Sweden10
13Germany9
14Belgium7
15Spain7
16Czech Republic6
17Taiwan6
18Switzerland5
19Finland4
20Hungary4
21Pakistan4

Mark, reading the tea leaves .. Nuke is a done deal ...

Have no industry knowledge but I find it hard to accept that it would take 20 years to develop .. surely a deal with an American or Japanese or any one of the following countries to joint build could start turning soil next week.

I mean, USA has 99 nuclear power stations, France 58 ... sweet Jesu ..even that backwoods grotto Canada has 19 of the bloody things ... can't be rocket surgery ..

List countries with nuclear power stations ..

RankCountryNumber of Nuclear Plants
1United States99
2France58
3Japan48
4China35
5Russia34
6North Korea30
7South Korea25
8India21
9Canada19
10United Kingdom16
11Ukraine15
12Sweden10
13Germany9
14Belgium7
15Spain7
16Czech Republic6
17Taiwan6
18Switzerland5
19Finland4
20Hungary4
21Pakistan4
In my opinion there’s no real guaranteed alternative.

Don’t start talking alternatives that are in the pipeline if you are going to blanket close all the coal fired power stations you need an instant replacement.

Unless of course we go back to the dark ages of power during the day due to solar and using candles at night with the only entertainment being lots of sex.

Don’t start talking alternatives that are in the pipeline if you are going to blanket close all the coal fired power stations you need an instant replacement.

Unless of course we go back to the dark ages of power during the day due to solar and using candles at night with the only entertainment being lots of sex.

mate you've said this a few times now but you realise...that solar power stores energy into batteries so you actually have electricity at night.

You don't think solar just gives power in the daytime do you? You do...know about batteries?

I'm not saying solar is 'the' answer but a few times now you've indicated that solar just = power during the day.

can't be rocket surgery
Its not mate, there are hundreds of proven designs, that have not shown any Chernobyl characteristics, and we would not build one on Bondi Beach ( Japanese DUHHHH!)
That claim it would take 20 years to build one was probably made by the BLF/AWU.
A little bit of GOYA and ten years is achievable.

mate you've said this a few times now but you realise...that solar power stores energy into batteries so you actually have electricity at night.

You don't think solar just gives power in the daytime do you? You do...know about batteries?

I'm not saying solar is 'the' answer but a few times now you've indicated that solar just = power during the day.
Yes I’m aware of the batteries but do you know how expensive they are ??

I’m looking at about 20k to add them to my solar , and they need to be replaced in less than 10 years.

So imagine the cost of batteries to store enough power for Queenslanders to survive during peak power needs !!

Oh and let’s not forget the disaster that is Lithium mining to create those.

Cost, longevity, and ecological creation effects wasn't what I was asking aboooot.

You replied that you know that solar energy can be stored in batteries, and that was what I was wondering about...so thanks.

Oh and let’s not forget the disaster that is Lithium mining to create those.

Recently I read in the newspaper .. yes newspaper you millennial phone screen staring clickbait zombies . .. that a recent tesla car fire which incinerated it's occupants couldn't be extinquished by the responding emergency fire squads .. they were relaying calls to tesla to ask them how to put out the battery fires without any success .. FMD, if professional emergency firemen don't know, and can't put them out we are doomed ..

Cost, longevity, and ecological creation effects wasn't what I was asking aboooot.

You replied that you know that solar energy can be stored in batteries, and that was what I was wondering about...so thanks.

Smug bugger with your 19 nuclear plants aren't you ... home of the 3 eyed moose ..

Its not mate, there are hundreds of proven designs, that have not shown any Chernobyl characteristics, and we would not build one on Bondi Beach ( Japanese DUHHHH!)
That claim it would take 20 years to build one was probably made by the BLF/AWU.
A little bit of GOYA and ten years is achievable.

Agree .. report was by some scientist ... but it's as you say, we don't have to reinvent the wheel, just buy and use existing technology and know how ..

I am all for it

Nuclear TURBO Power

is the only way to go

2019_Trbojevic_Wings_Sea_Eagles_Turbo_Framed_1024x1024.jpg

Who has said there would be blanket closure of power stations?
All of the things i have read suggest a staged transition away from coal due to it costing more than renewable now.

So honestly , for you lefties / greenies amongst us , if we don’t go nuclear and ditch all our coal fired power stations tell me how we are going to manage peak power loads and on top of this power a gazillion new electric cars ???

It’s a genuine question not just a shot across the bow.
Can you not see the battery revolution?
Soooo much money going into battery tech now things like (byt?) air cooled blade batteries for cars, while revolutionary, may not be their final form but it's another step forward as they store more power, don't catch fire, safer, take up less space and could replace part of the cars chassis (due to strength) and don't use lithium. ( Been in cars for over a year and better range than best teslar)
As mentioned previously EV can double as extra home battery storage when not in use.
ALL car manufacturers are going electric. FACT.
Flow batteries developed in OZ 30 years ago are now being used on Aussie farms (vanadium one example) to work with solar panels.
Vertical axis wind turbines solve the noise, direction and high speed issues of horizontal axis turbines but ATM are down 10-20% efficiency ( will get better with development) but still cause cancer lol :)

Tech always happens much faster than we think it will. 10 years is a massive time in this regard.
Coal fired power will be phased out 100%. Not all at once as Murdoch will have you believe.
Storage will improve and improve in cost.
Green renewable power is already cheaper than fossil fuels and the tech is better and cheaper every year.

4.6% of Aussies voted for the Nats who (MP's) nearly all have large share portfolios in fossil fuel and receive tonnes of money from those companies and they can ignore the 75-85% of the population that want net zero.

Can you not see the battery revolution?
Soooo much money going into battery tech now things like (byt?) air cooled blade batteries for cars, while revolutionary, may not be their final form but it's another step forward as they store more power, don't catch fire, safer, take up less space and could replace part of the cars chassis (due to strength) and don't use lithium. ( Been in cars for over a year and better range than best teslar)
As mentioned previously EV can double as extra home battery storage when not in use.
ALL car manufacturers are going electric. FACT.
Flow batteries developed in OZ 30 years ago are now being used on Aussie farms (vanadium one example) to work with solar panels.
Vertical axis wind turbines solve the noise, direction and high speed issues of horizontal axis turbines but ATM are down 10-20% efficiency ( will get better with development) but still cause cancer lol :)

Tech always happens much faster than we think it will. 10 years is a massive time in this regard.
Coal fired power will be phased out 100%. Not all at once as Murdoch will have you believe.
Storage will improve and improve in cost.
Green renewable power is already cheaper than fossil fuels and the tech is better and cheaper every year.

4.6% of Aussies voted for the Nats who (MP's) nearly all have large share portfolios in fossil fuel and receive tonnes of money from those companies and they can ignore the 75-85% of the population that want net zero.
Transition is the key , but most Greenies want it all closed NOW!’

@Mark from Brisbane
Maybe your farming clan could do this:

That's already happening now or planned to in many Australian farming regions . More a case of commercial and profit considerations then saving the planet intentions in most instances but if it can be a win - win outcome , who cares . in my local farming area here , property owners with suitably positioned farms are being approached by solar companies and the assured return is one about 1 . 2 k per hectare for the property owner [ indexed ] , 20 year duration and contract for both parties . Cost of building a standard type 7 . 5 meg solar farm about 10 mil and return to the company after about 5 or so years of operation .This is for non crop land but notice in the clip , horticulture is indicated in conjunction . . good arrangement for sheep and other smaller livestock farmers that can co exist so to speak . very little maintenance required unless some giant hail stone event . I am a bit close on suitable solar farm sections on one side to quite a few rural residential blocks[ some probably not keen having a heap of solar panels nearby but don "t know for sure ] and the remainder of the property is either still forested or on a creek - small river flood prone areas or too far from a power sub station . Can "t be too far from a major electricity sub station which i am not in the suitable area and have been approached , interested but quite a few barriers as well Anyway plenty of land - farming solar farm operations again already occurring in Australia and no doubt overseas and interesting to notice your example there

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6