Poll .. Should Aust. build Nuclear power stations?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should Aust. build a nuclear power industry?

• Yes

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
They are basically compulsory in Norway now, the price of fuel and the tolls have basically forced people into the electric cars, my wife has an electric car for about the last year no major issues driving in the city as yet, battery life 4-5 hours of driving.

I have a dual electric/ petrol, the batteries are good for around 2 hours.

I am not an advocate of the electric vehicles due to the price, Musk has made a fortune out of these Tesla’s.
i can see it now, first day of school holidays and the freeways are jammed.....
with people lining up for their turn to recharge their car.

I don't know why this subject is on a football forum?

However in relation to this particular answer, have we asked the owners of the land?

Maybe not, so how about your backyard or the COE?
Backyard would never be big enough for that. Middle of Australia is somewhere that plenty of people wouldn't go.

Welcome to third world power production Australia style.

We have so much unused uninhabited space that its a crime that we don't have Nuclear. We could locate strategic plants hundreds of miles from the nearest populations.

We could have vast solar plants such as those popping up in China.

We could have geothermal.

We should have vast water storages but unfortunately some tree hugger has seen a 6 toed frog up a tree so can't do that.

We could have anything but like so many other 'developed' countries people have too much say.... that is until we have energy shortages and water wars then they will be screaming for help.

We should also do what America and China do and just keep spending money regardless that they will never pay it back. Why are we so worried about financial fair play and balancing the books when the 'superpowers' just spend their way to the top?.

Definitely a worthwhile consideration if there was not already a quite clear trend and up take in large scale renewables occurring here and world wide .The number of renewable projects , solar , wind and hydro just in north and central Queensland and the N T already in operation or planned is really something . Costs of building nuclear plants , extended time frames in completion , approval processes, maintenance issues , just can not see it being a viable option not only now but indefinitely . Battery storage is continually being improved and enhanced and just an additional reason to dim nuclear prospects . Then there is the waste disposal issue . Recall that Hawkie even at the height of his popularity tried to set up a potentially very lucrative [ overseas ] nuclear waste disposal project in remote parts of Australia and had no luck . Even less prospect these days or any time soon. . Had an extensive solar panel system for about five years and can not praise it enough , no battery setup yet but will become viable eventually . Long transition period to mainly renewables for energy needs world wide and have not noticed or doesn 't appear to be any nuclear considerations . Have and still do serve a purpose [ original nuclear operations ] and that is about it it seems

Why are we talking about this on a football forum..... seriously moderators

Because we can ... Why did you click on it when the title is so obviously non football ? But please, I digress ... perhaps you can go back to one of the 15 Schuster threads and dream up a recommendation for him playing a position that no one else has said 187 times ..

Results are clear cut as well

Yeah, and whilst a poll of only 50 people on a boofhead footy forum can hardly be deemed representative of the feelings of Australians at large .. it does indicate that the tide of public opinion has moved a fair way over the past 50 years ...

Yeah, and whilst a poll of only 50 people on a boofhead footy forum can hardly be deemed representative of the feelings of Australians at large .. it does indicate that the tide of public opinion has moved a fair way over the past 50 years ...
Agree , the size of the sample is irrelevant although if it was done as a referendum across the nation it would be much closer

Think that you are right with the public perception or more acceptance towards nuclear from past eras . Probably would have to be heavily subsidized by government , does not seem to be to much appetite from private industry . , Times and tide still very likely a deterrent but interesting topic to mull over a bit '

Welcome to third world power production Australia style.

We have so much unused uninhabited space that its a crime that we don't have Nuclear. We could locate strategic plants hundreds of miles from the nearest populations.

We could have vast solar plants such as those popping up in China.

We could have geothermal.

We should have vast water storages but unfortunately some tree hugger has seen a 6 toed frog up a tree so can't do that.

We could have anything but like so many other 'developed' countries people have too much say.... that is until we have energy shortages and water wars then they will be screaming for help.

We should also do what America and China do and just keep spending money regardless that they will never pay it back. Why are we so worried about financial fair play and balancing the books when the 'superpowers' just spend their way to the top?.

Yes , but not all EV’s are like this , but a cheap MG and see how much is needed.
What nobody in Aus is talking about is using your EV as a home battery. Ford say their new F150 can power a home for three days.
As the battery tech gets better and solar panels improve, get smaller and cheaper this would help the grid by absorbing PV during the day and using it in the evening.

Thank you to the 49 people who took the time to vote .. and to those who have given some information.

Apart from the result of the poll .. what what also interesting was the lack of apocalypse forecasting, but instead the narrative that with other technological advancements was Nuclear still necessary ...

Of course I don't have any answers, but I am interested in how that narrative has changed ..

I started reading this thread but was unable to continue due to my brain melting. This is hands down one of the most boring topics to ever grace the Silvertails forum. It's a celebration of verbosity.

Charlie Darwin suggested we are evolving. This thread decisively disproves such nonsense. Entropy is in full swing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10