Poll .. Should Aust. build Nuclear power stations?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Aust. build a nuclear power industry?

• Yes

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Not rugby league related ... but our Silvertails are our best researchers ... in light of the recent nuclear sub deal .. should we also embrace a couple of nuclear power stations ... say one in Parramatta and another one at Redfern.

Being a teenager in the 60's and 70's I am well versed in the horror, horror I tells ya .. that just the mention of nuclear power causes the masses.

I am interested in how the narrative has progressed in the past 50 years ...

PSS .. Thank you in advance to the mods for allowing this post in the RL section ... it's pretty slow around here ..

I have no problem with the concept, the worst case scenario in planning for a hazardous facility would be where the control mechanism come in.

Natural disaster type planning with earthquakes being the one the facility would need to be looked at in detail, location etc.

Australia itself does has a lot of uranium South Australia and the Territory, the one the government really need to be proactive at is the huge oil and gas reserves in the Australian bight, the seismic evaluation has comparisons to the Gulf of Mexico, depth has been an issue, though like uranium and nuclear power if managed and the controls are there it can be done.

The devil is in the detail @Woodsie.

A few papers now showing nuclear power is not as cheap as some " green" forms of power.
But yeah the 80's argument of as long as it's not in my backyard.

The demon core is a fascinating story.

Absolutely, park them out west somewhere ( Broken Hill), cheap , very clean energy used in many places around the world.

Don’t think Chernobyl , that was the lackadaisical Ukrainian’s.

Don’t think Fukoshima , there’s no Tsunamis at Broken Hill.

And if you dicks wanting to drive electric vehicles everywhere think all your power is going to come from solar panels I reckon you’ve got rocks in your head!

Absolutely, park them out west somewhere ( Broken Hill), cheap , very clean energy used in many places around the world.

Don’t think Chernobyl , that was the lackadaisical Ukrainian’s.

Don’t think Fukoshima , there’s no Tsunamis at Broken Hill.

And if you dicks wanting to drive electric vehicles everywhere think all your power is going to come from solar panels I reckon you’ve got rocks in your head!
Where are you going to store the waste?

The new power stations are a lot smaller and safer .
They call them SMR (small ,modular reactors)
They are quite interesting ,I tried looking into investing in them.
Apparently they are the only way we can attain green power sustainability.
Old mate Gates has a monopoly on all the newest tech (TerraPower),so you know it's coming.

Last edited:
I won’t be around to see it but at some stage of most of your lives there will be a complete ban on coal power, I’d expect this to happen in the next 25 years.

We’ve seen recently ( South Australia) what happens when you kill your coal fired power and something goes wrong.

Add to this many car manufacturers are saying they aren’t producing anything but electric cars within 5 years.

And our population continue to grow rapidly as we bring in many from overseas ( yes currently not as many but stick with me ).

The demand for electricity is huge and getting bigger every week , more gadgets , more air conditioning etc etc.

So, cut out coal and where does the power come from ??

Solar panels , really , what happens at night??

Hydro , in the driest climate just about anywhere, really ??

Wind , more of those big windmills that really don’t do a great job from everything I read , really ??

Hydrogen power, and you’re worried about the relatively safe nuclear option , really ??

If probably won’t happen but nuclear to me seems the best option, but you can bet the Greenie nutters won’t let it happen.

Yes, about 20 years ago.

Possibly not as viable anymore though, given the time frame to build, and the expected leaps in battery storage for green options.

I cant believe there is a person on the earth that has fallen for this myth.

I saw GMH launch a version of electric car in USA. They took out to some small town and built this slick looking power supply for the vehicle. First question from a journalist to head of GMH was "how does this town source its electricity" the answer never was never given because it was coal. That was the end of the press conference and the launch.

The nuclear question is a fair one. Take away the $10 billion in subsidiaries given to coal /fossil energy and it becomes a lot more expensive to the consumer and green / nuclear a lot ( some studies infact say actually cheaper) more competitive.

I saw GMH launch a version of electric car in USA. They took out to some small town and built this slick looking power supply for the vehicle. First question from a journalist to head of GMH was "how does this town source its electricity" the answer never was never given because it was coal. That was the end of the press conference and the launch.
They are basically compulsory in Norway now, the price of fuel and the tolls have basically forced people into the electric cars, my wife has an electric car for about the last year no major issues driving in the city as yet, battery life 4-5 hours of driving.

I have a dual electric/ petrol, the batteries are good for around 2 hours.

I am not an advocate of the electric vehicles due to the price, Musk has made a fortune out of these Tesla’s.

If everyone had one we’d need 20 x the coal fired power stations we have to accommodate the need.

A lot of people are making an awful lot of money with these but there’s been little thought given to how the **** we are going to power the bastards.

I’ve got a good mate who’s a retired electrician , actually a lot better than that he had a very large business doing really big jobs.

The average house pulls ( his words ) about 20 amps with a maximum of 25. To put a proper charger for one of these in it needs to be 75 amps. Based on the current grid strength he reckons you could have maybe 2-3 of these per normal street , any more and there just wouldn’t be power for anyone else to do anything.

There’s been zero thoughts on how this is really going to work.

Was that in the Michael Moore film?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4