Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could've fooled me, let's look at these 'facts'.
  • this is women in league round
  • its also the Gotcha for life Cup against Roosters
  • a pride round is a fine idea but they need to organise it and bring the stakeholders around
  • NRL are supposed to sign off on jersey changes, so how can we change the jersey anyway ?
  • who is running the joint ...Homer Simpson ,Turd Greenburg ? what moron thought it was a good idea to throw all the marketing opportunities into the washing machine and see what cluster f,,, can be created -on that note job well done morons !!
  • NRL, broadcasters and fans will not be happy with Manly fielding a reserve grade side ,so that cant happen
So I've bolded the facts from your 'facts', lets look at the rest.

A pride round sure is a noble suggestion but since we're semantically saying whatever to suit our agenda I'd argue that you have missed the fact that this is the "Everyone in League" jersey, specifically outlining the inclusion of people from all walks of life. Pride was not mentioned once. Its mentioned in your own post below and alot of media refer to it as a Pride jersey ,PVL in one interview referred to it as LGBTQIA jersey ,more importantly he said its actually Women in League round

"...he said the NRL supported Manly's stance, even if it meant up to seven players would miss a free-to-air television game that has massive finals implications." - Peter V'landys statement would be representative of the NRL's view on this. he also said he was surpirsed as it was Women in League round

NRL fans respond by buying all Manly Sea Eagles pride jerseys, the execution has room for critique to be sure, but from a marketing point of view when it comes to selling jerseys this may have inadvertently been the best one for an NRL club ever? Maybe, I hope they sold a million of them ,but we don't know do we?

The last one is pure speculation yet somehow, I don't think the broadcasters will be upset about this at all - they literally couldn't buy this stuff. Any reasonable fan can understand the context of any understrength sides, especially considering when the players have pulled themselves out. Yes I think TV ratings initially will be very good due to the publicity and I hope the ground attendance is as well but how many will still be watching if its 40-0 at half time which I hope it isnt. My point was really that you have to spend all of your cap and field a competitive team each year ,week etc and whats happened due to the clubs incompetence will mean we are not fielding our most competitive team.

I think you need to suck it up mate, I don't know what you're scared about as it's just a rainbow. If punching down is your thing then by all means go ahead and publicly advertise your strong views based on not much, just don't be surprised when a proverbial fist comes back around. If you want to have a real debate instead of just making **** up and calling it a fact, feel free to try again with some sources that carry a little more weight than "trust me bro." mate I will decide what I suck up and I can assure you I support the rainbow (for various reasons) and don't fear it. You seem to have a penchant for violent and emotive language, and a need to double down and try and crush the discussion which must work wonders for you in other areas of your life. I'm not punching down on anyone (whatever that means) ,nor making things up but your entitled to your view as am I although I suspect you would disagree with that .So on that note I have other things to do ,you try and have a nice day.

I'll still be supporting all 7 of those Manly players. They were thrown under the bus by this poor attempt of tokenism by the media department. It's poor form for the club.
If they were truly invested in supporting the 'rainbow' then it should have been made a big deal within the club.. ie. get the playing group together, raise the issues of inclusiveness, bring in Ian Roberts to talk about his experiences to the playing group, educate the team and break down any barriers that may exist...AND then united come out and play like a Manly champion supporting what the rainbow stands for..none of this happenned.. so that is why I am so against this tokenism / woke political meaningless symbology in our game. Unfortunately it comes across as disingenious if the club and players are all not truly invested and informed of what they will be wearing.

Earlier today, I was thinking to create a simple Yes/No poll something like 'Has Manly Mismanaged the Pride Jersey?' There is non need for this after Des's interview:

“We are here today to apologise for a significant mistake made by the Manly Sea Eagles football club,” he said.

“The jersey’s intent was to support the advocacy and human rights pertaining to gender, race, culture, ability and LGBTQ movements.

“Sadly, the execution of what was intended to be an extremely important initiative was poor. There was little consultation or collaboration between key stakeholders, both inside and outside the club.

“Our intent was to be caring and compassionate towards all diverse groups who face inclusion issues daily. However, instead of enhancing tolerance and acceptance, we may have hindered this. This was the opposite of our intent.

“This poor mismanagement has caused significant confusion, discomfort and pain for many people.

“We wish to apologise to the LGBTQ community who embrace the rainbow colour for pride and advocacy and human rights issues. We accept your cultural beliefs and hope that you can accept our apology.
“We wish to apologise to the Australian Rugby League commission, the NRL and the other 15 NRL clubs for creating negative news, shifting the spotlight from the launch of the Women in League round.

“We wish to apologise to our own playing group and staff for any confusion, discomfort and pain that the mistake we have made may have caused them.

“There are always going to be subsets of society who have cultural and religious views, and they must always be considered.
“None of the coaching staff nor the players had prior knowledge of the jersey. They are not wearing the jersey as it conflict with their cultural and religious beliefs, and I am concerned for their welfare. Their spirituality is a central part of their well being. The club has made an error from which it will learn.

“The (seven) players will not play on Thursday, and we accept their decision. These young men are strong in their beliefs and convictions, and we will give them the space and the support they require.

“Whilst we have come a long way as a society, there‘s still no doubt much work to be done, particularly in education.

“For any person struggling with identity, we acknowledge the challenges and difficulties. My heart goes out to you and your families, and if the club can personally do anything to assist, we will. We are here, we offer our complete support.

“I apologise to anyone to whom this matter has caused distress.”

I'll still be supporting all 7 of those Manly players. They were thrown under the bus by this poor attempt of tokenism by the media department. It's poor form for the club.
If they were truly invested in supporting the 'rainbow' then it should have been made a big deal within the club.. ie. get the playing group together, raise the issues of inclusiveness, bring in Ian Roberts to talk about his experiences to the playing group, educate the team and break down any barriers that may exist...AND then united come out and play like a Manly champion supporting what the rainbow stands for..none of this happenned.. so that is why I am so against this tokenism / woke political meaningless symbology in our game. Unfortunately it comes across as disingenious if the club and players are all not truly invested and informed of what they will be wearing.
good take, I tend to agree

Earlier today, I was thinking to create a simple Yes/No poll something like 'Has Manly Mismanaged the Pride Jersey?' There is non need for this after Des's interview:

“We are here today to apologise for a significant mistake made by the Manly Sea Eagles football club,” he said.

“The jersey’s intent was to support the advocacy and human rights pertaining to gender, race, culture, ability and LGBTQ movements.

“Sadly, the execution of what was intended to be an extremely important initiative was poor. There was little consultation or collaboration between key stakeholders, both inside and outside the club.

“Our intent was to be caring and compassionate towards all diverse groups who face inclusion issues daily. However, instead of enhancing tolerance and acceptance, we may have hindered this. This was the opposite of our intent.

“This poor mismanagement has caused significant confusion, discomfort and pain for many people.

“We wish to apologise to the LGBTQ community who embrace the rainbow colour for pride and advocacy and human rights issues. We accept your cultural beliefs and hope that you can accept our apology.
“We wish to apologise to the Australian Rugby League commission, the NRL and the other 15 NRL clubs for creating negative news, shifting the spotlight from the launch of the Women in League round.

“We wish to apologise to our own playing group and staff for any confusion, discomfort and pain that the mistake we have made may have caused them.

“There are always going to be subsets of society who have cultural and religious views, and they must always be considered.
“None of the coaching staff nor the players had prior knowledge of the jersey. They are not wearing the jersey as it conflict with their cultural and religious beliefs, and I am concerned for their welfare. Their spirituality is a central part of their well being. The club has made an error from which it will learn.

“The (seven) players will not play on Thursday, and we accept their decision. These young men are strong in their beliefs and convictions, and we will give them the space and the support they require.

“Whilst we have come a long way as a society, there‘s still no doubt much work to be done, particularly in education.

“For any person struggling with identity, we acknowledge the challenges and difficulties. My heart goes out to you and your families, and if the club can personally do anything to assist, we will. We are here, we offer our complete support.

“I apologise to anyone to whom this matter has caused distress.”

I don't know who wrote that - whether it was Des, or a professional on the topic - but it is classy. It is eloquent, and it is what was needed.

I haven't seen the media coverage int he last few hours.... but am I correct in assuming:
1. All 7 players are NOT playing?
2. We are still wearing the jersey?

LOL, a pride jersey causes significant division and fractures a club so the answer is to create a pride round and force all clubs and players to participate, ignoring their beliefs. Are we in the ****ing twilight zone???

I haven't seen the media coverage int he last few hours.... but am I correct in assuming:
1. All 7 players are NOT playing?
2. We are still wearing the jersey?
That is the transcript from Des's interview. It seems the answer is affirmative to both your questions. Hopefully, when the team is announced later we will see less than 7 withdrawals. Also, I wonder if Aloiai & maybe Olakau'atu are even fit to play on Thursday?

So I thought a silver lining may be some youngsters making their debut on Thursday night, like Fifita etc. Doesn't look like this is the case, with the DT reporting that several young players have declined to debut because of this...Deadset..

I just think it's a ridiculous situation.

I don't agree with how management approached this. Sounds a bit underhanded if it was sprung on them.

I do find it hypocritical that they are fine with running on a field named after alcohol on a Sunday while wearing a jersey with sponsorship on it from gambling.

I can understand their point of religious freedom, but whether or not the jersey has rainbows on it, the club has gone out and said they support inclusiveness. So whether it has rainbows or not, they are wearing a jersey that promotes inclusiveness. Rainbows don't change this.

Again, I don't understand the rationale of how 1 jersey is fine but another isn't in this circumstance.
One jersey is a "looking at the bigger picture agenda based marketing that is a subtle FU to religion" the other is just pure corporate greed sponsorship.

One is politics one is business.

Now many and the higher ups are trying to refer to the rainbow colours as "inclusity for all" it has never been about that, it is about "acceptance,appreciation,recognition and inclusion of a certain segment of society" which is all well and good and i support that in a general sense, not a political like agenda stand shoved down my throat.

The promotion has arrogance behind it "this is the only right way to move forward for society, except it, tow the line or F/Off."

I'm respectful to all types, who i associate with and my beliefs i don't shove down other peoples throats.(unless it is in the form of constructive debate where people know what they are getting into)

I don't support tokenism and symbolism in general also.

Sport is about escaping the complexities,struggles,beliefs,contrasts and politics that we deal with daily,all types and sexualities should have this escapism to bring us all closer together forming bonds and being able to relate, but don't shove this agenda at my face in the manner it has been done.

LOL, a pride jersey causes significant division and fractures a club so the answer is to create a pride round and force all clubs and players to participate, ignoring their beliefs. Are we in the ****ing twilight zone???
They can hold their beliefs AND choose whether they want to work for an employer that has inclusively as one of its pre-eminent values... no one is forcing them to believe or do anything they don't want to...
But they cannot pick and choose WHEN they will work for their employer...
Much like Qantas employees - do you think none of them are Christian?

Manly pride jersey: Des Hasler apology fails to woo debutants to wear rainbow colours​

Manly coach Des Hasler, who made an apology to the players who refuse to represent the team if forced to wear a ‘Pride jersey’ - is now scrambling to fill a team as potential debutants also refuse.

A handful of potential debutants have rejected the opportunity to play their first NRL game joining their teammates boycotting Thursday’s match as Des Hasler apologises for the jersey fiasco.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt the Sea Eagles are scrambling to field a team before the 4pm deadline after a handful of would-be first timers knocked back a chance to play the game.

It is understood they did so on similar grounds to that of the seven Manly players who have also stood-down.

Hasler fronted media on Tuesday and confirmed seven players would stand down from the Thursday night’s game against Sydney Roosters at Brookvale.

“We are here today to apologise for a significant mistake made by the football club,” Hasler said.

“As you are aware the club, yesterday, launched a jersey for a round, we applied rainbow colours to the jersey to replace all of the white spaces. In the white lines.

“There was little consultation or collaboration with key stakeholders. Both inside and outside the club. Sadly, this poor management and project management has caused significant confusion, discomfort and pain for many people.

“In particular, those groups whose human rights we were, in fact, attempting to support. We have even adversely affected our player group, a wonderful group of people comprising of many different racial and cultural backgrounds.”

FIRST REPLACEMENT FOR MANLY SEVEN LOCKED IN

James Segeyaro’s rugby league exile is officially over with the PNG international breaking his silence ahead of his long awaited NRL return.

Segeyaro will play his first game since being suspended in 2019 after he spent 20 months sidelined after testing positive to a banned substance after using a housemate’s blender.

He was handed a train and trial contract by the Sea Eagles in May to help the club deal with their growing injury list.

Now he gets a chance to make his NRL return in a must-win game against the Roosters on Thursday night.

“Obviously I’ve been given this opportunity due to circumstances, however, that doesn’t change the fact that I have been working to achieve this chance for several seasons,” Segeyaro said. “It’s been testing, but I never gave up.

“I’m grateful for Des (Hasler’s) faith in me and while I’m obviously looking forward to it, I have a job to focus on and I’m confident of playing that role for the team.”

He would have made his return last week but was battling an injury after hooker Lachlan Croker was sidelined because of Covid-19.

Segeyaro is on a $1000-a-week deal for the rest of the season after the PNG international impressed for Manly’s feeder-club Blacktown Workers where he has switched between halfback and hooker.

The 31-year-old has played 154 games after stints with North Queensland, Penrith, Cronulla and Brisbane.

One jersey is a "looking at the bigger picture agenda based marketing that is a subtle FU to religion" the other is just pure corporate greed sponsorship.

One is politics one is business.

Now many and the higher ups are trying to refer to the rainbow colours as "inclusity for all" it has never been about that, it is about "acceptance,appreciation,recognition and inclusion of a certain segment of society" which is all well and good and i support that in a general sense, not a political like agenda stand shoved down my throat.

The promotion has arrogance behind it "this is the only right way to move forward for society, except it, tow the line or F/Off."

I'm respectful to all types, who i associate with and my beliefs i don't shove down other peoples throats.(unless it is in the form of constructive debate where people know what they are getting into)

I don't support tokenism and symbolism in general also.

Sport is about escaping the complexities,struggles,beliefs,contrasts and politics that we deal with daily,all types and sexualities should have this escapism to bring us all closer together forming bonds and being able to relate, but don't shove this agenda at my face in the manner it has been done.
Yuh ever heard of the Olympics, champ?

I think you should keep your offensive opinions to yourself. If another person wants to be proud of something what does it matter to you?
Forums are a place to share opinions whether you like it or not. I never said i cared about someone being proud about their sexuality, i stated how i see things.

I would have the same opinion over obese people proclaiming "they are proud of their weight", mind you in that instance they did contribute substantially to the outcome so they might have a point.

Forums are a place to share opinions whether you like it or not. I never said i cared about someone being proud about their sexuality, i stated how i see things.

I would have the same opinion over obese people proclaiming "they are proud of their weight", mind you in that instance they did contribute substantially to the outcome so they might have a point.
Wow!

You actually went there 😂😂😂

So I thought a silver lining may be some youngsters making their debut on Thursday night, like Fifita etc. Doesn't look like this is the case, with the DT reporting that several young players have declined to debut because of this...Deadset..
And there we have Western Sydney writ large. Same arrogance as the Panthers without the success.

Now young guys refuse to play for the jersey? Not gonna lie, these attitudes are making me embarrassed to be a manly fan at the moment.

Having to go to work and explain that despite 7 of our starting 7 as well as youngsters in our system having this view, it does not mean manly does.

Mate ... the same bruhaha would have happened at all the other 15 clubs ... none would be different to Manly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8