Please explain?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lillchip

Reserve Grader
Given we are 300k odd in cap arrears and allegedly can't sign a ballboy for 2019, can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN how we have managed to unveil a 29 man squad today that includes no less than NINE new signings:

5 x new players: Elgey and Elliot (complete dud reserve grade Titans) plus Waddell, Garrick and Keppie (rookie nobodies)
4 x promoted juniors: Hopoate, Kioa, Olakau'atu and Cust (talented we're sure but hardly likely to crack first grade save for injury disasters a la Tom Wright).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out than none of them are on major dollars, but surely the cost of Elgey and Elliot alone would have been far better spent on finding at least one mega giant new Fijian winger since we have the very worst wingers in the NRL. If Des thinks we can make the top 4 in 2019 with an ageing Taufua and a featherweight like Parker (lovely kid but honestly he’s no Ado Carr) then he might as well resign now.

Wingers score more tries than any other position and the best teams in the NRL have two wingers who are either:
A. lightning fast or B. massively tall or C. both (i.e. Ado-Carr/Vunivalu; Ferguson/Tupou etc).

Taufua (god love his efforts say 3-4 years ago) is neither fast, or tall, nor can he catch a ball or stay on his wing in defence. Matty Wright was none of the criteria and seems to have left anyway, which leaves, let’s see, Parker or reject Elliot ;both way too small) or let’s see, nobody.

Oh but hang on Des wants to sign Foran (who makes Watmough look fit and healthy) even though we bought Elgey plus promoted Cust plus already have Croker and Hodkinson which adds up to 5 x 5/8’s none of whom would crack first grade anywhere else!

It’s going to be a very, very long season folks.

Given we are 300k odd in cap arrears and allegedly can't sign a ballboy for 2019, can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN how we have managed to unveil a 29 man squad today that includes no less than NINE new signings:

5 x new players: Elgey and Elliot (complete dud reserve grade Titans) plus Waddell, Garrick and Keppie (rookie nobodies)
4 x promoted juniors: Hopoate, Kioa, Olakau'atu and Cust (talented we're sure but hardly likely to crack first grade save for injury disasters a la Tom Wright).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out than none of them are on major dollars, but surely the cost of Elgey and Elliot alone would have been far better spent on finding at least one mega giant new Fijian winger since we have the very worst wingers in the NRL. If Des thinks we can make the top 4 in 2019 with an ageing Taufua and a featherweight like Parker (lovely kid but honestly he’s no Ado Carr) then he might as well resign now.

Wingers score more tries than any other position and the best teams in the NRL have two wingers who are either:
A. lightning fast or B. massively tall or C. both (i.e. Ado-Carr/Vunivalu; Ferguson/Tupou etc).

Taufua (god love his efforts say 3-4 years ago) is neither fast, or tall, nor can he catch a ball or stay on his wing in defence. Matty Wright was none of the criteria and seems to have left anyway, which leaves, let’s see, Parker or reject Elliot ;both way too small) or let’s see, nobody.

Oh but hang on Des wants to sign Foran (who makes Watmough look fit and healthy) even though we bought Elgey plus promoted Cust plus already have Croker and Hodkinson which adds up to 5 x 5/8’s none of whom would crack first grade anywhere else!

I'd go with Garrick / Anderson if we can. Or Hopoate at a stretch. I'm happy if Des thinks Slow-Mo-Taufua can rebound, but have pace on the other side next to Walker.

A Walker / someone combo could make or break us. Having a Ferrari like Walker inside either Suli or Parker would be akin to filling that Ferrari up with E10 unleaded that goes into lawn mowers.

Agree - I don't get it. Any of it.

I'd go with Garrick / Anderson if we can. Or Hopoate at a stretch. I'm happy if Des thinks Slow-Mo-Taufua can rebound, but have pace on the other side next to Walker.

A Walker / someone combo could make or break us. Having a Ferrari like Walker inside either Suli or Parker would be akin to filling that Ferrari up with E10 unleaded that goes into lawn mowers.
Slow mo? The **** makes 150m+ average a game ffs what more do you want? Hopefully gets shifted to centre

I suspect there is some money left in the box even with the new ones signed and a few upgrades. After losing Mr Plod, 3 Wrights, Hastings, Darcy, Poo etc, etc and we will sign maybe 2 new guys before in the next couple of weeks.
And we're not paying Myles anymore
Albert Hopoate looks quick in the highlights video on the other thread, actually better than older brother Will at the same age and Will played in the 2011 Grand Final as a debutant. From memory, Wolfman was a debutant who played in the 2008 grand final. Paying big bucks for wingers is a waste of cap space IMO. But then again, I am no first grade coach!

Wow!
Give Des and Crusher a chance to get their feet behind their desks FFS
If they have any desks that is!

Slow mo? The **** makes 150m+ average a game ffs what more do you want? Hopefully gets shifted to centre

So does Marty Taupau, but they are a long way from Usain Bolt.

His primary metres are dummy half runs coming out of our own end.

We need more than that. Much more than that.

They aren't exactly Josh Ado-Carr type of runs, splitting apart the opposition .

When was the last time you saw us score a longer range try? You asked what I want. That. The ability to be dangerous from anywhere on the field.

Robertson wasn't the quickest either, but he could find the line, and run the length of the field. I don't even know if Jorge could do that endurance wise.

Don't you find it strange that Shaun Lane was near our leading try scorer? (Maybe even equal top of memory serves). A forward, who mostly played in the middle of the field.

Again, look at the best teams. Strike wingers. Explosive. Great under the high ball. Solid defensively.

That's what I want.

Most of these signings were made a while ago. Des probably had no real say, anyways he'll make do with it and unearth one of our younger players to partner Taufua (unless Suli drops a million kilos with hard effort). Taufua will be good if he can improve his fitness and become less weights heavy, he needs to be treated like a winger, not a second-rower. His career has sunk, although it's not all the way down the drain yet.

Perhaps you should take a deep breath & check career statistics before posting Lillchip!! Garrick, Waddell & Keppie are from from rookie nobodies! Garrick is highly rated by many experts & was chased by more than just Manly > NSW Origin Under 18's in 2015, NSW Origin Under 20's 2016/17, Australian Schoolboys Representative.
Sean Keppie > Australian Schoolboys Representative 2018. Corey Waddell was considered by many as another Panthers superstar & was part of the ISP Panthers NYC GF winning team in 2015 & ISP Premiership winning team 2017! Kane Elgey Australian Schoolboys 2012 - 2014, NYC Team of the Year 2014, NYC Player of the Year 2014. Brendan Elliott > QLD Under 20s 2014, NYC 2014 center of the Year. All in all reasonable depth signings & far from nobodies!
Players like Hopoate, Cust, Olakau'atu & Kioa are young & talented kids who deserve a go & will go elsewhere if not....ala Tom Wright. Garrick, Anderson, Funa are more than capable wingers & in the mould of Ado-Carr & Vunivalu.
Players released or signed elsewhere > Tom Wright, Jono Wright, Mathhew Wright, Jackson Hastings, Lewis Brown, Shaun Lane, Ahuila Uate, Darcy Lussick, Joey Lussick, Cameron Cullen. We still have money to get a couple more signings. Api, Kelly & Suli have now had contract upgrades! I don't think it's gonna be a long season at all! As a matter of fact i think we're in for a great season!

PS we all are entitled to opinions, however it becomes tiring having to read continuous negative posts about our players & team in general.

Last edited:

They aren't exactly Josh Ado-Carr type of runs, splitting apart the opposition .

When was the last time you saw us score a longer range try? You asked what I want. That. The ability to be dangerous from anywhere on the field.

Robertson wasn't the quickest either, but he could find the line, and run the length of the field. I don't even know if Jorge could do that endurance wise.

Don't you find it strange that Shaun Lane was near our leading try scorer? (Maybe even equal top of memory serves). A forward, who mostly played in the middle of the field.

Again, look at the best teams. Strike wingers. Explosive. Great under the high ball. Solid defensively.

That's what I want.

Addo-Carr’s dummy half runs are limp. Did you see the Grand Final? He got pushed backwards every time he ran the ball.

I think Taufua with a full off season can still provide something. His dummy half runs from our own end are invaluable. He’s also a great finisher, he just didn’t get many opportunities last season because our attack was as limp as Addo-Carr’s hit-ups.

That's what I want.
You know there's a difference between drive and ability right? Suli has that pace but he's lazier than a corpse, that fat **** cut a few teams to ribbons last year unfortunately he also let in 220876 tries through lack of drive

I love Jorge because he has a crack like a lot of the manly greats before him, plus he's the only one who scares opposition players in defense

The new guys sound promising and could turn out to be match winners.

I’m surprised Amone isn’t there as what I saw of him suggested he was FG material, however he may turn up at another club yet which might be the reason.

I had hoped we might get a signing or two “ of some note” but given the disaster of the last 12 months perhaps that was optimistic.

I’d expect a better performance in 2019 might lead to a better recruiting opportunity later that year.

In the interim it’s “ in Des we trust”.

Thunder only happens when it’s raining...

That is of course a line from a song on Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Rumours’ album. Which is all the Foran story is.

Re-commence your rant.

We don’t have to play the same structures and game plan as other teams. Some teams rely on back line movements designed to get their very fast wingers away. How about getting a half with a good kicking game (like Elgey) to put up bombs for our tall second rowers and tall and athletic full back. You play to your strengths. If Anderson works out and turns out to be a speed demon than you bring more sweeping plays into the game plan.

Dude, that ramble was about as negative as it gets.
1. Elgey is not a dud.
2. Being a rookie doesn't mean you are a nobody.
3. Ado- Carr is not tall. In fact both him and Taufua are 1.84cm.
4. You don't actually know that Des wants to sign Foran.
5. We've let go several players.
6. Please stop.

When was the last time you saw us score a longer range try?
No stats to hand but from memory last year (2017) we were one of the top teams for long range tries, I think Uate featured in quite a few, and Tom T.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4