Perspective and a deep breath

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just think we're being a bit harsh on the team, the Riff had 83% possession to our 17% in the first half.

Largely by our own errors/incompletions, dumb dumb play and an early lack of defensive starch.

Saab over the touchline early, and dropping an easy bomb, Kelma watching Edwards walk past him to score, Harper watching his opposite run for 50m on the first set, and 170m odd in the first half, and Parker's attempt at catching bombs with his feet are a few that spring to mind...and let's not forget Tommy calling "touch" on Edwards to no avail.

Seems pretty obvious to me that we didn't train the house down during pre season.

We aren't giving enough credit to the boys post game.

Hopefully we are going to work hard on the simple things, to control what we can control, and not let the fans down.
Yeah Seibold didn't turn up until late and there was a reshuffle with strength and conditioning, world cup etc etc, but if you look hard enough there's always an excuse. Penrith did get beaten by Parramatta and the Broncos, so far as I know Manly have only lost two games as well.

Just think we're being a bit harsh on the team, the Riff had 83% possession to our 17% in the first half. Against the premiers no one is going to win no matter what team it is. 2nd half possession evened up for a 12 all score line 2nd half. Doubt Melb can be as dominating as the Riff, bring on Friday night, got a good feeling about this game.
Having only 17% possession is not as a result of bad luck. This is our own doing. We made 5 errors during that period, with a completion rate of around 70%. These unforced errors, and more importantly, our set management were abysmal.Some penalties conceded early also had nothing to do with doing some extra defending. At the end of the day, only a competition's wooden spooners can justify letting in 5 tries in the first 30 min of opposition possession. We actually broke some NRL records apparently

Just think we're being a bit harsh on the team, the Riff had 83% possession to our 17% in the first half. Against the premiers no one is going to win no matter what team it is. 2nd half possession evened up for a 12 all score line 2nd half. Doubt Melb can be as dominating as the Riff, bring on Friday night, got a good feeling about this game.
I’ve said a number of times , there wasn’t a team in the current competition that would have able to do much different on Saturday night.

They were perfect , and as we struggled to even try and stay in the game every single penalty , 6 again , errors went their way , they couldn’t do anything wrong , we collapsed as a result.

But so would have the other 15 teams , they were that good.

Which is why I think waaaay too much has been made of the loss, it was the perfect storm ( no pun intended ).

As is always the case , the refs try and stop a blowout , so it wasn’t so much that the Panthers took their foot off the pedal , they just weren’t allowed to push it to the metal once the second half whistle was blown.

And in that half , as things became harder for Penrith the game reverted to a more normal one , ending in 12 all for the half.

Yes the damage was done , and we still copped a flogging , but this is a crazy mixed up season with sides looking like world beaters one week , and getting flogged by a team well below then the next.

As good as the Drizzle are , I doubt they can be perfect like that on Friday night , so whilst I don’t think we’ll win ( although in an upset we might ) I think we’ll at least look a bit more competitive.

Which is why , from a perspective point of view I’m holding the “ not throwing the dummy out of the cot” line.

I’ve said a number of times , there wasn’t a team in the current competition that would have able to do much different on Saturday night.

They were perfect , and as we struggled to even try and stay in the game every single penalty , 6 again , errors went their way , they couldn’t do anything wrong , we collapsed as a result.

But so would have the other 15 teams , they were that good.

Which is why I think waaaay too much has been made of the loss, it was the perfect storm ( no pun intended ).

As is always the case , the refs try and stop a blowout , so it wasn’t so much that the Panthers took their foot off the pedal , they just weren’t allowed to push it to the metal once the second half whistle was blown.

And in that half , as things became harder for Penrith the game reverted to a more normal one , ending in 12 all for the half.

Yes the damage was done , and we still copped a flogging , but this is a crazy mixed up season with sides looking like world beaters one week , and getting flogged by a team well below then the next.

As good as the Drizzle are , I doubt they can be perfect like that on Friday night , so whilst I don’t think we’ll win ( although in an upset we might ) I think we’ll at least look a bit more competitive.

Which is why , from a perspective point of view I’m holding the “ not throwing the dummy out of the cot” line.
Penrith were good but we were awful. Paper thin defence. There was no effort to even attempt tackles on the line. We didn't have a fullback. We had an innocent bystander... Penrith took their foot of the gas in the second half.. That is all that saved us from 50+.

Penrith were good but we were awful. Paper thin defence. There was no effort to even attempt tackles on the line. We didn't have a fullback. We had an innocent bystander... Penrith took their foot of the gas in the second half.. That is all that saved us from 50+.
I disagree on the second half , the ref was blatent in trying to get us back into the game.

As soon as he started doing that the Panthers went flat , and only had to do what they had to do , but it was off what was happening to them.

And whilst we were paper thin , they were red hot , and every other side would have folded , perhaps not to the extent we did , but they all would have.

Largely by our own errors/incompletions, dumb dumb play and an early lack of defensive starch.

Saab over the touchline early, and dropping an easy bomb, Kelma watching Edwards walk past him to score, Harper watching his opposite run for 50m on the first set, and 170m odd in the first half, and Parker's attempt at catching bombs with his feet are a few that spring to mind...and let's not forget Tommy calling "touch" on Edwards to no avail.
True, but once we gave an error/penalty away the momentum tide was set in place for the 1st half, hence the blowout scoreline.

I disagree on the second half , the ref was blatent in trying to get us back into the game.

As soon as he started doing that the Panthers went flat , and only had to do what they had to do , but it was off what was happening to them.

And whilst we were paper thin , they were red hot , and every other side would have folded , perhaps not to the extent we did , but they all would have.
I disagree with that. As all teams do when they are flogging another side in the first half they see no need to bust a gut & rarely go on with it. They just sit back knowing they can flick the switch at any point which is what happened.

Having only 17% possession is not as a result of bad luck. This is our own doing. We made 5 errors during that period, with a completion rate of around 70%. These unforced errors, and more importantly, our set management were abysmal.Some penalties conceded early also had nothing to do with doing some extra defending. At the end of the day, only a competition's wooden spooners can justify letting in 5 tries in the first 30 min of opposition possession. We actually broke some NRL records apparently
We copped a lot of those tries early in the game where they still had plenty of energy left in the tank

True, but once we gave an error/penalty away the momentum tide was set in place for the 1st half, hence the blowout scoreline.

We had opportunities to play percentage footy in the first 15 minutes, and chose to go for the glory play. No repeat sets, no building pressure, no grind.

If you can't defend, stop giving cheap possession away.

Penrith were great, and we let them be greater by playing dumb.

Once fatigue/momentum set in, we were on a hiding to nothing.

We had opportunities to play percentage footy in the first 15 minutes, and chose to go for the glory play. No repeat sets, no building pressure, no grind.

If you can't defend, stop giving cheap possession away.

Penrith were great, and we let them be greater by playing dumb.

Once fatigue/momentum set in, we were on a hiding to nothing.
"We had opportunities to play percentage footy in the first 15 minutes, and chose to go for the glory play. No repeat sets, no building pressure, no grind.

If you can't defend, stop giving cheap possession away"

^^^ THIS..

I disagree with that. As all teams do when they are flogging another side in the first half they see no need to bust a gut & rarely go on with it. They just sit back knowing they can flick the switch at any point which is what happened.
Ok we’ll agree to disagree , that’s fine , I saw it differently , as did you !!

Such is life

Exactly. Momentum is no excuse. A team of professional athletes gassed within moments. BS
I saw Turbo before the game in the warmups looking rather lame, and I reckon thats when the rest of the team decided to pack it all in and think "stuff it we are done, its all about getting through the 80 minutes without getting injured or bashed up".
It should never ever get that point.

Funnily enough I just saw Brad Parker say in the press conference after the game say "From the start we didn't show up".

BINGO!!!

Last edited:
I saw Turbo before the game in the warmups looking rather lame, and I reckon thats when the rest of the team decided to pack it all in and think "stuff it we are done, its all about getting through the 80 minutes without getting injured or bashed up".

Funnily enough I just saw Brad Parker say in the press conference after the game "From the start we didn't show up".

BINGO!!!
They talk a lot of smack throughout the week about bringing their A game against the premiers blah blah blah. They specifically said after the Knights game that it is unacceptable to give up 32 points in a game... so what did they do? They give up 32 points in half a game

Seems pretty obvious to me that we didn't train the house down during pre season.

We aren't giving enough credit to the boys post game.

Hopefully we are going to work hard on the simple things, to control what we can control, and not let the fans down.
But only if they put their best foot forward.

They talk a lot of smack throughout the week about bringing their A game against the premiers blah blah blah. They specifically said after the Knights game that it is unacceptable to give up 32 points in a game... so what did they do? They give up 32 points in half a game
The funny thing is, is that it's never Tommy who's doing the talking. He let's his game do the talking...but apart from Jakey, Haumole Bully, Koula, and to a lesser extent Schuster, the rest are just talkers.

Funnily enough I just saw Brad Parker say in the press conference after the game say "From the start we didn't show up".

BINGO!!!
I try very hard not to hate things but I hate hate hate when I hear footy players (particularly OUR footy players) say "we didn't turn/show up". What the hell is that??!! Ok, I only played park level footy but I NEVER "didn't turn up". I might have got my arse kicked more than a few times coz the other team was just too good .......... but not didn't turn up??? Reality check boys, you get paid a lot of money (relative to a lot of folks) to at least make sure you're on the bus, at the ground and trying your best. You know - turned up!! STOP SAYING YOU DIDN'T SHOW UP!! Man, it drives me nuts!! And now I'll just go to the other room and take my medication.

I try very hard not to hate things but I hate hate hate when I hear footy players (particularly OUR footy players) say "we didn't turn/show up". What the hell is that??!! Ok, I only played park level footy but I NEVER "didn't turn up". I might have got my arse kicked more than a few times coz the other team was just too good .......... but not didn't turn up??? Reality check boys, you get paid a lot of money (relative to a lot of folks) to at least make sure you're on the bus, at the ground and trying your best. You know - turned up!! STOP SAYING YOU DIDN'T SHOW UP!! Man, it drives me nuts!! And now I'll just go to the other room and take my medication.
If most people said that in their current 9-5 or casual, part time regular job, you would get the sack.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7