Penn deserves some credit.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...4c7c31493ecd2?memtype=registered#command-form

HE is the unassuming IT administrator whose passionate plea at a Manly fan forum helped change Sea Eagles history.

Brookvale resident Alf Czharn attended a members gathering earlier this month, rose to his feet and stated his case to owner and chairman Scott Penn as to why the Sea Eagles needed to sign a coach with Manly DNA.

The 50-year-old then referred to the history of Manly’s success under coaches who have also played at Brookvale, dating back to 1951.

The minute-long speech had a long-lasting impact on Penn, who reached out to Des Hasler the very next day.

“We had a couple of members who were incredibly vocal at the forum,” Penn said. “One in particular (Czharn) got up and literally detailed every coach and every premiership. It was impressive and convinced me the time was right (for Hasler’s return).

Czharn got his wish on Monday when Manly formally signed Hasler to a three-year deal to return to the peninsula.

A Sea Eagles fan for 36 years, Czharn hadn’t even planned on talking at the forum.

But Manly is in his blood. He met his met wife Debbie at a match at Brookvale and now have a 10-year-old daughter, Erin.

“If it wasn’t for Manly, we wouldn’t be a family,” Debbie said.

It was that burst of Manly pride and a desire for his club to return to the top forced Czharn from his seat.

“One of the fans mentioned that they should hire someone from within and I brought up the stats,” Czharn said.

“Every single coach that has taken us to a grand final — and there’s been 19 grand finals — has been an ex-Manly player with grand final experience. That was the key.

“It’s not by chance or coincidence over 10 or 20 years — it’s a 70-year stat. I think it resonated with Scott. I’m glad it did because I think that’s the formula we need.”

Hasler, Bob Fulton, Ron Willey and Frank Stanton all won premierships at Manly as coach after representing the club as players. Other former Sea Eagles players also led Manly to grand finals.

“It’s one of those things that has worked for us,” Czharn said. “We’ve had a lot of problems this year and we’re kind of desperate.

“I wasn’t planning to speak but I thought if I threw in some stats it might help. I put my hand up.

“I didn’t really want to speak — I want to be low key — but I put my hand up because I thought it could help kick it along. I did notice Scott was receptive. It was good he gave fans a chance to have their say I wanted to be low key but I am pleased I did speak.”

Penn listened and former Manly halfback Hasler, part of the Sea Eagles’ 1987 grand final-winning side, is back as head coach for the next three years.

“Des is a guy with experience and the fans will welcome him back,” Czharn said. “I think it’s cleansed his soul that he is coming back to the club in a good way.”

Penn clearly remembered Czharn speaking at the member’s forum, held at Manly Leagues Club.

“It made us take stock,” Penn said. You take those comments back and ask ‘who else can we have in the mix and who can we look at?’

“It was worth a reach out (to Hasler). It was literally the next day we did. We had dialogue with Des but it was at that point we knew to press the button to a point of deeper discussion.”

Well done Alf. And well done to all you silvertails and members who went off, on that particular night when Penn attended the leagues and had nil to announce.

You have to stand up for what you believe in.

I'm bloody proud of every one of you, who hasn't been back since Tooves was sacked, proud of those who this year said enough is enough this isn't Manly, Penn give us our Manly club back, proud of all of you who took the time to ring the club and cancelled their auto renew membership etc.

Even Penn above says fans spoke and only then did he contact DES. Its amazing what can happen when someone's under a bit of pressure.

I'm starting to get excited for the year ahead now.

But one last thing needs a special mention.

#2v we don't leave the little bloke stranded and left out. I don't care what job he does, but the Man need to be back at Manly or the Gangs still not complete.

Am I the only one perturbed by the fact that Penn, only after hearing a fan say that Manly players make the best coaches comment two weeks ago at member meeting ,then made his decision ?
Is he that disconnected to Manly ,that he couldnt come to that conclusion on his f#cking own ? (And maybe 5 years earlier)
Yes ,Thank you fan ,thank you Gorman ,Thank you Des,I am grateful.
But never the less ,Im still quite concerned this nobhead (with no clue about Manly) is #1 in charge and ultimately pulling all the strings.

Am I the only one perturbed by the fact that Penn, only after hearing a fan say that Manly players make the best coaches comment two weeks ago at member meeting ,then made his decision ?
Is he that disconnected to Manly ,that he couldnt come to that conclusion on his f#cking own ? (And maybe 5 years earlier)
Yes ,Thank you fan ,thank you Gorman ,Thank you Des,I am grateful.
But never the less ,Im still quite concerned this nobhead (with no clue about Manly) is #1 in charge and ultimately pulling all the strings.

Can you please re-post this so I can give you another winner ...... FMD ... 10 years of completely butt fukkening every single thing that made Manly .... well Manly ..... and we are now expected to believe he has come to Jesus .........2 weeks ago .... man is a slimey c***

Clearly the whole "We got the idea from the fan forum" is just a PR stunt and yes they are only rebooting Manly V2.0. I think the truth was that the club was about to have a catastrophic failure and a lot of old reliable sponsorship cash was about to walk unless things seriously changed. Penn had no choice but to accept this. However he did accept it and we are now looking at a much brighter future than what we have had the last few years.

Although a part of me would love to feel like Penn is the new Arko, but It is just a bridge way way too far.

HE is the unassuming IT administrator whose passionate plea at a Manly fan forum helped change Sea Eagles history.

Brookvale resident Alf Czharn attended a members gathering earlier this month, rose to his feet and stated his case to owner and chairman Scott Penn as to why the Sea Eagles needed to sign a coach with Manly DNA.

The 50-year-old then referred to the history of Manly’s success under coaches who have also played at Brookvale, dating back to 1951.

The minute-long speech had a long-lasting impact on Penn, who reached out to Des Hasler the very next day.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/1b12cb89b4a3ccd123b4c7c31493ecd2

IF he isn't a Silvertail, he should be. You all should be bringing more and more faithful into the fold, we should be making this bigger than those silly Facebook groups.

giphy.gif

Clearly the whole "We got the idea from the fan forum" is just a PR stunt and yes they are only rebooting Manly V2.0. I think the truth was that the club was about to have a catastrophic failure and a lot of old reliable sponsorship cash was about to walk unless things seriously changed. Penn had no choice but to accept this. However he did accept it and we are now looking at a much brighter future than what we have had the last few years.

Although a part of me would love to feel like Penn is the new Arko, but It is just a bridge way way too far.
Not a bad PR stunt as it kills 2 birds with 1 stone for the Owners

1) Increased Membership dollars
2) Absolves them of the blame for removing a coach who is favoured by the players

Well played Mr Gorman and Mr Penn :clap:

giphy.gif

This club and it's decision to re install Des and hopefully others to steer the team takes me back to the 80s, from which I've never gotten out of but that's another story, when Coke listened to some marketing midget and changed its taste.
Of course the whole thing turned to sh*t cause people didn't buy it and demanded they change it back.
Eventually they listened and did just that.
Like Manly.
Good move but could've been avoided.
But I'm enjoying the taste again...

This club and it's decision to re install Des and hopefully others to steer the team takes me back to the 80s, from which I've never gotten out of but that's another story, when Coke listened to some marketing midget and changed its taste.
Of course the whole thing turned to sh*t cause people didn't buy it and demanded they change it back.
Eventually they listened and did just that.
Like Manly.
Good move but could've been avoided.
But I'm enjoying the taste again...
I really enjoy the smell of coke.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4