Penn deserves some credit.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Paw, I don't think there is that much to turn around ... nothing fundamental or institutional anyway .... we had no 5/8, an injury/Myles toll that saw us with only 20 fit players for much of the season, and a salary cap drama that fukked us up the butt royally .......

Des should have all systems go by kick off .....
Hey @Woodsie agree with everything there except your point that we had no 5/8... We had Hastings. He just wasn't utilised. Again we brought in Hodkinson and he wasn't properly utilised.. But like you said Des will have it more easier with salary cap drama behind us and a fit and fresh playing roster and all the clusterfuks moved on.

Even though there was a plethora of negativity over the clubs performances of late, we are still in a far better shape as a squad than back in 2004.

Des hit the market each season to build the 2000's side around quality players, but with the likes of DCE, Turbos x2, Taupau, Koroisau, Walker and Sironen already in place, I feel he already has a two year start on establishing the list he would like, compared to back then.

Top 8 is the minimum I'd expect from a fit squad, with a run into the second week of finals hardly a stretch to imagine.

Huey, I think that would've been a huge factor in Des's thinking.
The bones of the squad we have is exciting with the players you mentioned, also AFB is on the rise.
A little bit of tinkering here and there and a defensive mindset should see us in good stead.

Great result today but I think the Penn canonisation (you all seem to like a religious bent) is a touch extreme.
He has an investment that was tanking in the most serious way. Radical action was needed and taken.
And, of course, it would be very good PR at a time of membership renewal to say the fans were the great influence.
Follow the money.
If he wants ROI or even to sell, the club needed something big.
We're still in the woods re the Barrett mess and funding a decent number of support staff. Heading very much in the right direction but much more to do to right the previous Penn stuffups.
Sorry for the realism.
And welcome back Des.

Not much of an investment.

I believe sometimes things are only a mistake if you don’t learn from it. On this occasion they could have been closed minded and flat out said no to Des considering what transpired in 2011 and probably could have justified that decision. Thankfully they chose to work things out with Des and I believe made a good decision for the club. That shows me he is trying to do the right thing for the club. Onwards and upwards.
If toovey is back then his learned, untill then it's just pr

I have to say the Penns do deserve a little bit of credit for putting their ego's aside for the good of the club. It would have been very hard for them (considering how bloody minded they have been with other decisions) to bury the hatchet with Des. This is a sign that they are prepared to do what is right for the club and I am prepared to give them some credit and enjoy the fact that they are doing what is right for the club.
Well said @conanu and yes credit where credit's due :clap: It wouldn't have been easy to bury the hatchet but desperate times call for desperate measures and thankfully the Penns listened to the members and did what's needed to be done.

Also thank you to @The Wheel and @Mitch for passing on our views to the Members' Council and indeed at the Members' Forum, which appears to have swayed the Penns to do what's best for the club.

Thanks to everyone involved! :party:

Just hope everyone realises a rebuild / reboot takes a few years. We were 2nd last. Can't turn that into a top 4 side overnight. I'm expecting say top 8 in 2 years.
I'll disagree here.
I think this team comprises much better cattle than 2003. 5 internationals 3 of which have been absolute stars.
The great Desmond means we are top 8 next year.
NYEagle

The problem being "He listened to the members",only after he realised no one was forking out hard earned for the crap he was peddling..If he was truly MANLY,like he claims,He shouldnt need advice from members that Manly needs Manly men to coach and keep previous culture alive. He knows nothing Manly....
Luckily Des does ,Bring on 19.....
GO MANLY...

My only reservation about this Penn deal on Manly coaching is, well, um, a Penn deal on Manly coaching.

The track record is 100% disaster.
Des 2011 acrimony, then sacking Toovey for Dud Barrett, who will not die. (Seriously what real coach gives there notice as mid season?)

Des has also left his last two clubs in acrimonious circumstances.

Sure, I’m excited. But the best story I tell myself is one of redemption, for both parties.

Like everyone, I want this fractured fairytale to be true. A miracle even.

Even though there was a plethora of negativity over the clubs performances of late, we are still in a far better shape as a squad than back in 2004.

Des hit the market each season to build the 2000's side around quality players, but with the likes of DCE, Turbos x2, Taupau, Koroisau, Walker and Sironen already in place, I feel he already has a two year start on establishing the list he would like, compared to back then.

Top 8 is the minimum I'd expect from a fit squad, with a run into the second week of finals hardly a stretch to imagine.

Scott Bailey is reading my crap... :-D

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...3/news-story/399b46d04a60356ffc9ca6c2580d1fbb

Hey guys.I have lived on the Sunshine Coast all my life .I have supported the manly sea eagles for close to 40 years.I love the club.I know its not going to happen over night,but I just feel that Des will insert that sense of pride back in our Jersey once again.Swap tooves for Cartwright and I would feel so happy.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...4c7c31493ecd2?memtype=registered#command-form

HE is the unassuming IT administrator whose passionate plea at a Manly fan forum helped change Sea Eagles history.

Brookvale resident Alf Czharn attended a members gathering earlier this month, rose to his feet and stated his case to owner and chairman Scott Penn as to why the Sea Eagles needed to sign a coach with Manly DNA.

The 50-year-old then referred to the history of Manly’s success under coaches who have also played at Brookvale, dating back to 1951.

The minute-long speech had a long-lasting impact on Penn, who reached out to Des Hasler the very next day.

“We had a couple of members who were incredibly vocal at the forum,” Penn said. “One in particular (Czharn) got up and literally detailed every coach and every premiership. It was impressive and convinced me the time was right (for Hasler’s return).

Czharn got his wish on Monday when Manly formally signed Hasler to a three-year deal to return to the peninsula.

A Sea Eagles fan for 36 years, Czharn hadn’t even planned on talking at the forum.

But Manly is in his blood. He met his met wife Debbie at a match at Brookvale and now have a 10-year-old daughter, Erin.

“If it wasn’t for Manly, we wouldn’t be a family,” Debbie said.

It was that burst of Manly pride and a desire for his club to return to the top forced Czharn from his seat.

“One of the fans mentioned that they should hire someone from within and I brought up the stats,” Czharn said.

“Every single coach that has taken us to a grand final — and there’s been 19 grand finals — has been an ex-Manly player with grand final experience. That was the key.

“It’s not by chance or coincidence over 10 or 20 years — it’s a 70-year stat. I think it resonated with Scott. I’m glad it did because I think that’s the formula we need.”

Hasler, Bob Fulton, Ron Willey and Frank Stanton all won premierships at Manly as coach after representing the club as players. Other former Sea Eagles players also led Manly to grand finals.

“It’s one of those things that has worked for us,” Czharn said. “We’ve had a lot of problems this year and we’re kind of desperate.

“I wasn’t planning to speak but I thought if I threw in some stats it might help. I put my hand up.

“I didn’t really want to speak — I want to be low key — but I put my hand up because I thought it could help kick it along. I did notice Scott was receptive. It was good he gave fans a chance to have their say I wanted to be low key but I am pleased I did speak.”

Penn listened and former Manly halfback Hasler, part of the Sea Eagles’ 1987 grand final-winning side, is back as head coach for the next three years.

“Des is a guy with experience and the fans will welcome him back,” Czharn said. “I think it’s cleansed his soul that he is coming back to the club in a good way.”

Penn clearly remembered Czharn speaking at the member’s forum, held at Manly Leagues Club.

“It made us take stock,” Penn said. You take those comments back and ask ‘who else can we have in the mix and who can we look at?’

“It was worth a reach out (to Hasler). It was literally the next day we did. We had dialogue with Des but it was at that point we knew to press the button to a point of deeper discussion.”

Definitely agree that we should be aiming for top 8 next year especially if injuries are kept to a minimum

If we can improve our defence structure so that we don’t turn it cold when we build up a lead we should be very competitive next year with a big improvement in 2020 when all the salary cap crap is gone and we can buy some new players

Well done to all in getting this first step happening
Can you imagine the doors that will be slammed off their hinges if the 2nd half surrenders of this year continue? One things for sure Des won't be going off to cry and make excuses like Baz.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6