Paying to post

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Somewhere that would probably get people excited would be a chat session.

Have an aplet on the site and for 30mins every week the members can log in and fire questions to Des Hasler or Geoff Toovey Noel Cleal even.

That would make my money see worth while and it would make no additional costs to the club (appart from donating time).

Players could even, it would be one appearance a year for some of them and would mean more to a persons wallet than access to a dime a dozen forum.

Dan should charge everybody $20- to post on this site !!! That's a bargain !!!

Exactly, there is a lot I could do and make money from, from this site and many would pay for the services. The difference is I have found ways to do it for free for everyone with minimal effort on the behalf of the people.

The difference is we have done what the club should have done, and that is build a community. We did not exclude any, some chose toe exclude themselves but at the end of the day we built a community, doing so allows a free and valuable site. There are ways to make money and I still earn a little from the site but overall most of what I do I do for free.

Basically though an old boys club has limited ideas! The club has been that for far too long.

But to make money to survive the football club has to attract new supporters - either from kids who are growing up in the area, people who have never been interested or people sick of their club.

If every service from the club becomes paid member only then what is there to attract new people. Someone isn't going to think - i might support Manly therefore I will become a member - the more features available to future supporters and members free the better - the better incentive for people to join the club - come to games, buy merchandise etc.

This, especially considering how many internet forums are free, just in my view makes the club look like a tight money grabbing entity.

Totally Agree...this is basically the point i'm trying to make.

If it follows the Souths format anyone can read the content, even me. I simply could not post. Non Members will still be able to the read the content and keep up to date & therefore interested in the club. If they are even remotely interested in forum use (and given that they are perusing it you would assume that they are) then a majority will pay the money the money to become part of the club.

I am simply stunned that $40.00 to participate in something that people love is such an issue.

$40 is fine for you and I pete.

But not for any younger fans. What about the family?
If you have 3 kids who want to participate well yeah starts to look a bit much dont you think\, just to post on their forum and to support the team

Dan, I agree that the family scenario is an issue, but it is one that I would imagine can be easily resolved.

I am getting so scared as yet again I am agreeing with Ryan. The club is battling for cash, the leagues club grant has been halved and will again be under pressure next year. Whether we like it or not the club have to generate new income streams which even includes playing matches at Gosford. Am I happy about that, no I am not, but it does mean we will have a club to support, for without the cash we will be back to where we were a few years ago were finishing even 5th was just a dream.

I think you actually missed Ryan's point!

What he meant was you could cut the margin/save more money by simply getting rid of the forums and Aaron, that would be about $30,000+ in the coffers right there, as oppossed to the maybe $10,000 that will be made from the supporters group.

The club should be making more money than ever with there success over the last 2 years.

If they can’t generate another major sponsor after coming second we should start asking some serious questions to the persons responsible.

To me the club doesn't think its good enough for a family to pay big dollars for a day out to the footy for tickets, drinks to be part of a screaming eagle supporter group and post on a website forum.

Quite frankly I think they are a little pathetic if they can't turn the ship around without stooping to such a level.

Having said that I probably would pay to be involved, I just don't think it's a fair idea for the non-diehard supporter.

Ryan, Aaron wouldn’t spend all his time updating the forum. By looking at the forum it would be fair to say the least of his time would be spent on that.

He would be spending more time on the parts that make money, like the merchandise and news sections etc.

Further more, why should you have to pay to support the club and why should you pay to keep it alive.

As much as I love it, that responsibility should not lay in the hands of the fans.

If the club had smarter, shrewder and more savvy business heads at the helm and well everywhere throughout then we wouldn't need to be having this conversation.

The fact is it is still an old boys club, and as much as they think they are doing the right thing they are slowly destroying the club and ultimately leading it down the wrong path.

If there were business heads involved at every level and the company worked like a company then well money would be flowing through other means.

Dan

I have missed Ryan's point, thank god I couldn't bear the pain of agreeing with him yet again.

From my understanding Aarron Markie's role with the club involves significantly more than just the website. And btw Byso what exactly is wrong with the current MSE website?

Too true byso I think the problem with getting another sponsor is that Delmege is on the jersey and major sponsor, Where is the room for that other sponsor?

I have missed Ryan's point, thank god I couldn't bear the pain of agreeing with him yet again.

From my understanding Aarron Markie's role with the club involves significantly more than just the website. And btw Byso what exactly is wrong with the current MSE website?

I didn't say anything was weong with it. He's done a good job with it. I'm just sugesting that people are over estimating that most of his time goes to the forum

Too true byso I think the problem with getting another sponsor is that Delmege is on the jersey and major sponsor, Where is the room for that other sponsor?

I think you are missing the point Dan. Of course you can have only so many sponsorships on a jersey and shorts. The additional sponsors are the Gold, Silver, Bronze type that inject money into the club for their return. These pages featured an extensive discussion last week on one such company.

[quote author=Dan]

I think you are missing the point Dan. Of course you can have only so many sponsorships on a jersey and shorts. The additional sponsors are the Gold, Silver, Bronze type that inject money into the club for their return. These pages featured an extensive discussion last week on one such company.

[/quote]

How so Byso said a second MAJOR sponsor. This is the sponsor that goes along with Delmege. Problem is Delmege owns the club but has some very strong rights over advertising etc.

Actually - I meant it EXACTLY the way you read it. I wouldn't want Aaron's position jepardised in any way whatsoever, and wouldn't be as presumptious as to suggest so.

So yup.....you agreed with me. 8)

Not only that, Delmege said he'd still put in the same money and relinquish the Jersey sponsor if another major sponsor is found. Remember he does own the club. It should be in his best interest to do so...............If he's genuine.

ryan when is that BBQ?

Anytime mate...you know that.
How was the atmosphere at the footy ???
Gutted I couldn't go....but went to Dragons....also watching Manly in The Grand Final...had to do the right thing last Saturday. I need a thumbprint emoticon !!!

Jokes aside Ryan, it was very hard for short people to see the game on the hill. We had kids behind us who couldn't see as there was standing room only and they just weren't tall enough till we found them a spot with 'shorties around.

I am simply stunned that $40.00 to participate in something that people love is such an issue.

I felt the same way when you were complaining about driving 80k's up the road to watch manly's moved home game.

The fact is, there are certain circumstances that effect different people but in the grand scheme of things no internet forum is going to be a defining factor in whether someone becomes a club member. Not when you can get what I consider to be better for absolutly no charge at all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6