Paul Kent apologises

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As they usually hide apologies in small print next to nowhere and only after being forced to; I thought it prudent to post kent's apology here so no-one misses it.

APOLOGY TO RUSSELL CROWE

In my column on April 24 I inferred that Russell Crowe betrayed George Piggins for his own financial benefit and that Mr Crowe engaged in a campaign of lies, slander and misinformation against Mr Piggins during the events leading up to his purchase of the Rabbitohs in 2006. I now accept that these statements were false and defamatory and should never have been published. The Daily Telegraph and I wish to apologise to Mr Crowe for the harm, hurt and distress caused by this column.

Ironically it appears after he's having a go at the panthers for bad behaviour (prob deserved). You know, like publishing false and defamatory comments, for example.

Yep...

The Gladiators: Lawyers Win for Russell Crowe​

by Natalie Martin
Sydney newspaper Daily Telegraph has issued a formal apology for publishing “false and defamatory” claims about Oscar winner and South Sydney Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe in a column written by senior writer Paul Kent earlier this year.

In the apology, which was issued today, Kent stated:

“In my column on April 24 I inferred that Russell Crowe betrayed George Piggins for his own financial benefit and that Mr Crowe engaged in a campaign of lies, slander and misinformation against Mr Piggins during the events leading up to his purchase of the Rabbitohs in 2006.

I now accept that these statements were false and defamatory and should never have been published.

The Daily Telegraph and I wish to apologise to Mr Crowe for the harm, hurt and distress caused by this column.”

The apology to Crowe was made after lawyers for the actor and businessman, barrister Sue Chrysanthou, SC and Sydney solicitor Bill Kalantzis, issued a concerns notice. The newspaper offered to make amends, heading off a costly defamation trial.

Yep...

The Gladiators: Lawyers Win for Russell Crowe​

by Natalie Martin
Sydney newspaper Daily Telegraph has issued a formal apology for publishing “false and defamatory” claims about Oscar winner and South Sydney Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe in a column written by senior writer Paul Kent earlier this year.

In the apology, which was issued today, Kent stated:

“In my column on April 24 I inferred that Russell Crowe betrayed George Piggins for his own financial benefit and that Mr Crowe engaged in a campaign of lies, slander and misinformation against Mr Piggins during the events leading up to his purchase of the Rabbitohs in 2006.

I now accept that these statements were false and defamatory and should never have been published.

The Daily Telegraph and I wish to apologise to Mr Crowe for the harm, hurt and distress caused by this column.”

The apology to Crowe was made after lawyers for the actor and businessman, barrister Sue Chrysanthou, SC and Sydney solicitor Bill Kalantzis, issued a concerns notice. The newspaper offered to make amends, heading off a costly defamation trial.
That’s one bloke you don’t want to piss off. You’d think Kunty would’ve known that. Good to see Rusty put him back in his box.

you 'd think that Kenty would have had at least something that could be substantiated when making those sort of claims but seems to regularly overstep the mark with some of his self righteous type opinions .Sure that he is not the worst journalist going around but pushes the limit sometimes .

He got it wrong .. he accepted and owned it ... and he apologised and corrected it in full view in his column ... not in a note hidden away on page 27 like other jerks ... All hail Kenty

My recollection is that the Souths powerbrokers did exclude piggins, and in response George refused to attend games for about a decade.

Possibly the bit Kent got wrong was “for their own financial gain” which is very sloppy because rusty, pappas, Holmes a court etc were already wealthy.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4