Other Games [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That's a tough assessment on 2021 LC, 2021 was a standout year for us I thought, one win away from a GF match up. No one in the game has ever had a season quiet like Tommy did. Schuster had an outstanding season also.
I fully appreciate and acknowledge that it was an enjoyable year and a lot of that had to do with Des. However, I remember we played Melbourne when were on a big run and blasting teams off the park and they shut us down easily. We had heaps of trouble getting out of our own end. Then we played them in the first week of the finals and were absolutely smashed. We beat an injured ravaged Chooks side and then were easily beaten by Souths the following week. We scored a couple of late consolation tries that made the score respectable. Further, the teams we'd smash that year seemed to be able find points against us easily (Tigers and Sharks games come to mind). Even in that memorable game where we smashed the Titans, it was something like 24-8 at half-time to the Gold Coast.

I could be alone here, but I remember distinctly feeling we were a fair way off the good sides that year and never believed we could contend for the premiership.

The Dogs have spent big, but outside of Kikau they have no forwards to write home about while their halves are almost non-existent ... Burton is a kicker, not a play maker. They'd be better off playing him at lock or back in the centres so he could run.

The Dogs have bought a half decent backline, but have no pack and no halves.

Have you noticed that the Dogs under Gus are doing what the Dogs under Greenturd tried to do a decade or so again?? Back then they basically tried to buy Manly's winning culture. They got Des, Crusher, T-Rex and eventually Foran. And we know they were also after Snake. And now they are trying to buy Penrith's winning culture. Since 2022 from the Panthers they have bought Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr. (2022), Viliame Kikau (2023) and now Stephen Crichton and Jaeman Salmon. Yet Gus will tell anyone who listens that its all about their juniors.....
Most of those guys they have bought are just talented mercenaries. No leaders either.

Dogs have some good individual talent but in terms of building "a team", then Gus has done a horrid job

Yeah, I do worry that we seem to have neglected the defensive side of the game. I wonder if this is deliberate, part of playing to our strengths (ie, we're not very good at defending but we can be pretty good in attack) and the new "Manly style of play" Chez and Seibold seem so keen to talk about.

Have to say I enjoyed watching our game against Souths far more than any of the other games I've watched this weekend. The attacking footy from us and Souths certainly wasn't dull.
It’s because the ref put the whistle away. The 5 tries against might have been part of that as well. Plus they scored a bs try right at the end.

Next Sunday will give us an idea of where we are at.

I fully appreciate and acknowledge that it was an enjoyable year and a lot of that had to do with Des. However, I remember we played Melbourne when were on a big run and blasting teams off the park and they shut us down easily. We had heaps of trouble getting out of our own end. Then we played them in the first week of the finals and were absolutely smashed. We beat an injured ravaged Chooks side and then were easily beaten by Souths the following week. We scored a couple of late consolation tries that made the score respectable. Further, the teams we'd smash that year seemed to be able find points against us easily (Tigers and Sharks games come to mind). Even in that memorable game where we smashed the Titans, it was something like 24-8 at half-time to the Gold Coast.

I could be alone here, but I remember distinctly feeling we were a fair way off the good sides that year and never believed we could contend for the premiership.
Sorry, didn't see it that way LC, we made 4th and absolutely smashed lots of teams on the way to the top 4. On losses, even the best stumble through the course of a season. Sometimes we can over analyze the losses, to then come out the following week with a thumping win.

The Dogs have spent big, but outside of Kikau they have no forwards to write home about while their halves are almost non-existent ... Burton is a kicker, not a play maker. They'd be better off playing him at lock or back in the centres so he could run.

The Dogs have bought a half decent backline, but have no pack and no halves.

Have you noticed that the Dogs under Gus are doing what the Dogs under Greenturd tried to do a decade or so again?? Back then they basically tried to buy Manly's winning culture. They got Des, Crusher, T-Rex and eventually Foran. And we know they were also after Snake. And now they are trying to buy Penrith's winning culture. Since 2022 from the Panthers they have bought Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr. (2022), Viliame Kikau (2023) and now Stephen Crichton and Jaeman Salmon. Yet Gus will tell anyone who listens that its all about their juniors....
Gus is another myth. Wasn't Barrett supposed to be the best coach ever, Now Ciraldo is the next big thing. Since he's been in charge at the dogs they've gone nowhere.

Gus is another myth. Wasn't Barrett supposed to be the best coach ever, Now Ciraldo is the next big thing. Since he's been in charge at the dogs they've gone nowhere.
Yeah they both treated RFT who was the club captain in a terrible way last year and he was really good for the Dragons last night. There’s something not right with the dogs.

Sorry, didn't see it that way LC, we made 4th and absolutely smashed lots of teams on the way to the top 4. On losses, even the best stumble through the course of a season. Sometimes we can over analyze the losses, to then come out the following week with a thumping win.
All good. We all see things through our own lens. We were ranked 10th in defence that year so statistically, we were a long way off having the steel to take out the premiership.

Most of those guys they have bought are just talented mercenaries. No leaders either.

Dogs have some good individual talent but in terms of building "a team", then Gus has done a horrid job

Greenturd managed to get Des when Des was a hot coach and that helped at least get them into 2 Grand Finals so its not like they have nothing to show for it.

For all of Gould's spending, the Dogs are still most people's tip to be fighting for the spoon with the Tigers. But don't ever expect him to get Cleary, either one. We've got more chance of bringing Ivan home than Gus is of getting either of them. And there is as much chance of us ever getting Ivan back as there is of Scott Penn selling me the whole club for $1.

Good to see the comatosed uncle Wayne still on the losing run. The Phins spine doesn't fill me with confidence and look very soft defensively down main street.

What about the Hammer soft as butter defensively. That play where he kicked it into the oncoming attackers that then scored was cowardly. Any half decent fullback would have put his body on the line and dropped on the ball.

The Phins reminded me a bit of how the Knights were the other night - at home in front of a packed crowd, thought they just had to turn up and weren't willing to defend and do the hard yards. On the other hand, the Cows have a talented side and were very good, particularly in the first half. I thought they reminded me a bit of Manly.

On the other hand, the Cows have a talented side and were very good, particularly in the first half. I thought they reminded me a bit of Manly.
The Cowboys have an excellent roster, with solid to "superstar" talent in every position: excellent spine players, great wingers, very good centres, and a strong pack with experienced props and an abundance of great edge forwards. Every NRL club's dream, basically. It's a mystery to me that their last couple of seasons have been duds.

The Phins reminded me a bit of how the Knights were the other night - at home in front of a packed crowd, thought they just had to turn up and weren't willing to defend and do the hard yards. On the other hand, the Cows have a talented side and were very good, particularly in the first half. I thought they reminded me a bit of Manly.
Just looking at the Phins, there's a lot of big bodies forwards and backs. The last 15min of the first half they looked out of gas, not much mobility in the back 3 just solid battering rams when they get to the opponents try line. Uncle Wayne and his apprentice coach in waiting looked pretty much unanimated tbh. On what i saw it's going to be a long season ahead for them.

The Cowboys have an excellent roster, with solid to "superstar" talent in every position: excellent spine players, great wingers, very good centres, and a strong pack with experienced props and an abundance of great edge forwards. Every NRL club's dream, basically. It's a mystery to me that their last couple of seasons have been duds.
They made the prelim in 22 so only last season was a dud.

I agree with you though, it’s a great roster. The key to the Cowboys is their speed and athleticism, and not just in the backs, right across the 17. Very fast and hard to contain.

Lots of commentators have been singing his praises but he's done nothing in the last 10 years other than to get sacked from a few clubs. His coaching style kills a teams attack. Why would you put one of your best spine players in Brimson in the centres, when that same player is probably there best fullback, he could of played him in the halves as well. Overrated coach IMO.
I'm reluctant to pile on Des just yet coz I'll be flying up to watch us in Round 7. We got belted the last time we were up there. If we win, then I'll be happy to revisit how Des is past it. I'm not superstitious .......... until I am @:D

Just looking at the Phins, there's a lot of big bodies forwards and backs. The last 15min of the first half they looked out of gas, not much mobility in the back 3 just solid battering rams when they get to the opponents try line. Uncle Wayne and his apprentice coach in waiting looked pretty much unanimated tbh. On what i saw it's going to be a long season ahead for them.
Interesting you say that as I heard Joel Caine pointing out that most if not all of the Phins' pack are in their 30's and he thought they're going to struggle to keep up. He was right!

They started off well in '23 but I think they're going to have 2nd year syndrome...

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8