Other Games [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No team conceded more tries than us this weekend (except for Souths)
Yeah, I do worry that we seem to have neglected the defensive side of the game. I wonder if this is deliberate, part of playing to our strengths (ie, we're not very good at defending but we can be pretty good in attack) and the new "Manly style of play" Chez and Seibold seem so keen to talk about.

Have to say I enjoyed watching our game against Souths far more than any of the other games I've watched this weekend. The attacking footy from us and Souths certainly wasn't dull.

As long as we score more points than our opposition it doesn’t really matter. Wests Tigers 2005 we’re not great defensively.
True but the Tigers were the exception to the rule.Premiership winners are always in the top 2-3 defensive teams for the year and this Manly side has always struggled against the top echelon of strong defensive teams

Missed most of the two games last night as I was out at a show ( Killer Queen Tribute band, pretty good too ) but two take aways.

Bulldogs have spent a **** load of money for seemingly not much improvement???

My pick for the team running last ( Dragqueens) seems somewhat premature.

Hasler isn’t the coach he used to be.

Didn’t understand the decision on Des not playing Brimson at fullback when Campbell was ruled out, good player but was wasted at centre.

Last edited:
Even with some of the recent season's rule changes to try and speed the game up , still only going to win comps with pretty consistent and effective defence or systems .
Not too many defensive deficiencies collectively with the present Manly outfit , just that ability to maintain it for a full 80 and signs were good against the Bunnies that the endurance requirement has improved .
Guess that the Storm showed a 2024 type of blueprint against the Panthers and Roosters record is right up there as well over the past few seasons
Manly have the current personal individually to provide something similar , just have to regularly provide it on the playing field .

Lots of commentators have been singing his praises but he's done nothing in the last 10 years other than to get sacked from a few clubs. His coaching style kills a teams attack. Why would you put one of your best spine players in Brimson in the centres, when that same player is probably there best fullback, he could of played him in the halves as well. Overrated coach IMO.

Lots of commentators have been singing his praises but he's done nothing in the last 10 years other than to get sacked from a few clubs. His coaching style kills a teams attack. Why would you put one of your best spine players in Brimson in the centres, when that same player is probably there best fullback, he could of played him in the halves as well. Overrated coach IMO.
You make a good point here. Des is probably only coaching at the Titans given what he did from 2004-2014.

If you judged him on the last decade, then it's unlikely he would get a gig.

You make a good point here. Des is probably only coaching at the Titans given what he did from 2004-2014.

If you judged him on the last decade, then it's unlikely he would get a gig.
I partly agree. Although he did a good job in 2019 to take us to the finals without Turbo. We should’ve beaten Souths in the finals too.

Then there is 2021 where we played a prelim. Granted that was probably more Turbo than Des.

Missed most of the two games last night as I was out at a show ( Killer Queen Tribute band, pretty good too ) but two take aways.

Bulldogs have spent a **** load of money for seemingly not much improvement???

My pick for the team running last ( Dragqueens) seems somewhat premature.

The Dogs have spent big, but outside of Kikau they have no forwards to write home about while their halves are almost non-existent ... Burton is a kicker, not a play maker. They'd be better off playing him at lock or back in the centres so he could run.

The Dogs have bought a half decent backline, but have no pack and no halves.

Have you noticed that the Dogs under Gus are doing what the Dogs under Greenturd tried to do a decade or so ago?? Back then they basically tried to buy Manly's winning culture. They got Des, Crusher, T-Rex and eventually Foran. And we know they were also after Snake. And now they are trying to buy Penrith's winning culture. Since 2022 from the Panthers they have bought Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr. (2022), Viliame Kikau (2023) and now Stephen Crichton and Jaeman Salmon. Yet Gus will tell anyone who listens that its all about their juniors.....

Last edited:
I think Des is past it. It’s only round 1 and I’m sure they’ll get better and jag a few good wins here and there but his systems aren’t elite and haven’t been for over 10 years now.

19’ and 21’ under Des were enjoyable seasons but I never really believed were a serious chance. 20’ and 22’ were absolute debacles, as were his last couple of years at Canterbury.

Usually the Titans look better in round 1 than they did last night. They’ve usually got thrilling attack even when their defence falters. Now they don’t even have that.
That's a tough assessment on 2021 LC, 2021 was a standout year for us I thought, one win away from a GF match up. No one in the game has ever had a season quiet like Tommy did. Schuster had an outstanding season also.

The Dogs have spent big, but outside of Kikau they have no forwards to write home about while their halves are almost non-existent ... Burton is a kicker, not a play maker. They'd be better off playing him at lock or back in the centres.

Have you noticed that the Dogs under Gus are doing what the Dogs under Greenturd tried to do a decade or so again?? Back then they basically tried to buy Manly's winning culture. They got Des, Crusher, T-Rex and eventually Foran. And we know they were also after Snake. And now they are trying to buy Penrith's winning culture. Since 2022 from the Panthers they have bought Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr. (2022), Viliame Kikau (2023) and now Stephen Crichton and Jaeman Salmon.
They’ve also let some good players go. DWZ and JMK have been amazing since they left the dogs. Jack Averillo was also very good last year and he has gone.

They’ve also let some good players go. DWZ and JMK have been amazing since they left the dogs. Jack Averillo was also very good last year and he has gone.

Brent Naden only lasted one season before he was off to the "greener pastures" that is the Wests Tigers. Plus Pangai Jr. has now gone to boxing.

With the number of ex-Panthers there I'm actually surprised they didn't get Luai. I guess the salary cap sometimes does work.

As the great Allan Moffat used to say about touring car racing ... you only have to win by a bumper bar.

In rugby league its simple. Score more points than your opponent and you win. In the end it doesn't matter what they score, so long as you score more.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8