Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Matt Orford is willing to take a pay cut to stay at the sea eagles. Currently on $400,000 a saeaon, Matt is prepared to sign on for $900,000 or even less over 3 seaons if it means him and most of the team staying together.

The club alos hope to offically announce the re-signing of David Williams and Micheal Robertson early next week.

Well if he is so concerned about keeping the team together why doesn't he sign for less than $200K. It seems they have already cut Cuthbo loose and JWH is gone, so his altruism hasn't extended too far.

My take is that he knows he won't get a gig anywhere else in the NRL for that sort of money and he obviously isn't too keen on England, so he is trying to hang onto the only NRL lifeline he has.

Im happy to keep him for 300k per year, i believe thats his worth.

Apparantly on the footy show they said robertson and d.williams have re-signed with d.willliams re-signing for 3 years. Also stated Cuthbo was on the outer even although he had another year on his contract. I wouldn't be too unhappy to see him go with Rose taking his role (bar those consistent risky offloads) for cheaper money and with Cuthbo proabably being able to get mroe elsewhere eg roosters.

Also from the Footy Show - Ox's manager is in England which apparently means another 10 days until he gets back. This is stretching out longer than a Farnham concert career. If Ox accepts around 300k then that would be a fantastic compromise.

The guys worth 250K max.  He's old (not that I'm ageist), can't kick and is bamboozled at the line.  Give a youngster a go.

Manly Sea Eagles' Matt Orford offers to take pay cut to stay at Brooky
Dean Ritchie
June 19, 2009

As Matt Orford's club is being torn apart at board level, the Manly captain offered to take a massive pay cut to stay at Brookvale.

In an amazing personal sacrifice, Orford said he is willing to drop $300,000 so the Sea Eagles can keep some star players, including New South Wales Origin forwards Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough.

While the board continues to bicker and chief executive Grant Mayer this week became a casualty of club politics, Orford's sacrifice shows the spirit is strong among players.

Orford, 31, revealed that he wanted to stay at Manly for three more years.

His present deal is $400,000 a season, but sources said the premiership-winning halfback is more than willing to drop at least $100,000 a year.

Orford's manager George Mimis is in England to talk with Super League clubs about several of his clients.

The future of the Sea Eagles' halfback is sure to come up for discussion, but Orford indicated he isn't ready to leave the NRL.

"I will take a pay cut. The club has to look at the big picture. They have others to retain," Orford said.

"They have good players coming off contract at the end of next season, like Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough. I'll take that into consideration. I have no reason to leave. If Manly still want me, I'm happy to stay.

"I feel I have a lot of football left in me. I'm in no rush. Let's get this football team on track.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manly and I am still enjoying my time at the club."

Orford is hoping a third-party sponsorship deal may prop up his contract.

He guided Manly to a premiership last year and is again among the leaders in the Dally M awards despite Manly's early season struggles.

"I've had success at Manly and I've made it clear Manly is my priority," Orford said.

"Des (Hasler, coach) and I have a great relationship. I talk honestly to him and he to me.

"I'm sure all the figures can be worked out. I know people will be interested in what I do, but I don't want to make a big fuss about this.

"As I said, I will take a pay cut, but obviously it will depend on how much it is."

Mimis described talks with Manly as "positive".

That is pretty huge taking a $100k a year drop. I would prefer to see him to get $250k but I dont think we need his services for 3 more years to be honest

ManlyBacker link said:
His present deal is $400,000 a season, but sources said the premiership-winning halfback is more than willing to drop at least $100,000 a year.

At least 100k, if he came down to 250k and we sign him for 2 years not 3, I'd be happy. But I won't be if it means losing young blokes in foran, hodkinson and cherry-evans.

Do you really think that he is going to drop $100k a year?  He wants the difference made up by way of third party sponsorship.  

Maybe Max can sponsor him?

300k is a lot more realistic. I wouldn't be unhappy if he re-signed for something lioke that but I'd rather two years with an option in the clubs favour or something along those lines because he is getting a little long in the tooth.
I really enjoyed watching him play last week, if he can keep up that sort of form I won't be whinging about his stubby little legs.

agree 100% Cletus. We need to start looking at life after orford and that means 2 years with an option if one of our junior players isnt there by then we need to start looking to buy so may need Orford for the 3rd year

KaZa link said:
weve already lost a few due to his contract.... drop it to $250 for 2 years Orford.

How do you figure that ?

How did we lose them solely on Orford's contract when Lyon, Stewart, Kite and Watmough would all be on reasonable coin ?

OneEyedEagle link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180777.msg228244#msg228244 date=1245385631]

How do you figure that ?

How did we lose them solely on Orford's contract when Lyon, Stewart, Kite and Watmough would all be on reasonable coin ?
[/quote]

Well said KE, finally a voice of reason. Add in Williams and Robertson and the other 18 highest earning players plus the next 25. We are victims of our own success and for me as long as the success continues that’s all that counts. Any sport played today isn’t played out of loyalty as each individual is in it for as much as they can get and you can’t begrudge anyone for that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7