One Sydney Club Must Go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Poor News Ltd. No idea. Dumb logic.

Culling a Sydney club in the hope the others left will be stronger is misguided badly. Where are all the Norths fans & sponsors now? They aren't following another Sydney club. They are lost to the game.

The merged Wests Tigers draws crowds the same as Wests or Balmain did the 1990s. The merged team doesn't draw the combined total of Wests AND Balmain. So half of the old Wests and Balmain fans are lost to the game. Dragosn are the same story. Mergers in league work as 1 + 1 = 1, not 1 + 1 = 2 or even 3 (remember News Ltd in the late 1990s saying merged Sydney teams would rival the Broncos!).

Since the early 1990s when the NSWRL said Sydney could not support or fund the same or more league teams we have seen the funding, sponsors and crowds to support the Sydney FC, WSW, Giants and professional Waratahs. So despite what tje NSWRL and media said there was plenty of money but league let other sports get it.

The Sydney NRL clubs and the NRL just have to work harder and smarter. Manly should be mining all of northern Sydney from the Harbour Bridge to Palm Beach, Hornsby & across to Cherrybrook for sponsors & fans. That area is bigger population and business than another Brisbane team or Adelaide or Perth would get.

This whole story is a load of rubbish instigated 100% by Buzz Rothfield to take the attention off his beloved Sharks, who got bashed up on their sacred home turf by a team Buzz hates and doesnt rate.

Forget it.

Na then everyone will be going for us and there would be no one left to p....ss off when we win. The last thing i want is everyone driving the same car as me.@:D

I think one of our esteemed posters, @Duff holds the exact opposite view!

(That smell you smell is probably the xxxx.)

His logic is that crowds will grow at other games with one less team in Sydney to follow.

What an utter load of cr@p. As if I am going to watch Parra or Souffs play (or any others) if Manly were punted to Perth.

I'm sure they don't read half the sh1t they print.
Exactly. If manly disappeared I wouldn't start following another team. I'd follow another sport at most.

Good points about a promotion and relegation system and the situation with other sporting codes establishing sporting franchises in recent times but i guess that the bottom line for the existing N R L franchises is that it requires an annual income of about 18 to 20 mill to operate as a viable entity. Most N R L clubs find this enough of a challenge at present . Also the majority of N R L income is received from broadcast rights , so their main preference is obviously just for a competitive playing format and again just viable clubs .The preference is still no doubt for future expansion and another Brisbane team and Perth seem to be the most favored but for the other considerations , definitely no reduction in the current number of Sydney team "s presence .

Manly should be mining all of northern Sydney from the Harbour Bridge to Palm Beach, Hornsby & across to Cherrybrook for sponsors & fans. That area is bigger population and business than another Brisbane team or Adelaide or Perth would get.
Agreed. Problem is for much of the post-Norths era, Manly haven't been particularly energised on that front. ZtH in the marketing/promotional role, for some of that time, wasn't a productive strategy. Also not helping the cause (presumably) is/was a lack of resources and the high churn of key staff.

Last edited:
There are big lessons in the demise of the waratahs.

It used to be the rep team, the pinnacle for a club rugby player in nsw.

Now it is a full time squad of players not necessarily from nsw, playing in a quasi international comp vs fake teams from Perth and Melbourne, Japan and South America, and provincial teams from SA and NZ with silly mascots and bad jerseys.

Fans can't get to most games, and why would they bother?

The average fan is bewildered and home crowds show that they aren't interested.

The pursuit of "global" over "local" has buggered the sport in Australia.

Tigers is the most likely option they are wedged between two bigger clubs and is flagging horribly. Sad to see the final end of two clubs like wests and balmain but it's just reality

I mean, in an absolute perfect world you would have

Perth Sharks
Brisbane Tigers
Adelaide Roosters

But will never happen

I don't think they're saying other sydney clubs will go up.

Think their just saying that the transferred club will go up.

I think most People agree that 9 clubs is to many in Sydney. But it won't happen as the Nrl won't force a team out or the Souths sutuation will happen again.

Todd already has shown he has no balls with all his previous decisions.

Never had them, never will. Nothing but sanitized decisions with the wank in charge.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8