omnipotent beings discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Although I always thought the Westboro Baptist Church had a pretty good grasp of the gospel and the conviction of the righteous ..

It comes from someone who was a street individual. He used to get meals offered by the various charities and he said the St Vinnies, Salies etc would give out their meals without extras. But the Baptists, would expect you to hang around for their obligatory sermon. Mind you when I sought help for the half way house for street teens only the Baptists responded. Understand though my brother in law was a Baptist minister and is a damned fine guy indeed. Unfortunately he's suffering from Alzheimer's and is regrettably losing his mental faculties. But the Baptist comment was a standing joke amongst those looking for a meal. No other offence intended.

It comes from someone who was a street individual. He used to get meals offered by the various charities and he said the St Vinnies, Salies etc would give out their meals without extras. But the Baptists, would expect you to hang around for their obligatory sermon. Mind you when I sought help for the half way house for street teens only the Baptists responded. Understand though my brother in law was a Baptist minister and is a damned fine guy indeed. Unfortunately he's suffering from Alzheimer's and is regrettably losing his mental faculties. But the Baptist comment was a standing joke amongst those looking for a meal. No other offence intended.

Yeah, my reply was also light hearted ... there are good people in all walks of life ..

Yeah, my reply was also light hearted ... there are good people in all walks of life ..
And mores the point you don’t have to be a religious person to be a good person.

I’ve been involved in lots of community organisations doing charity work.

I wouldn’t say as a result I’m a good person but there’s lots of good people doing great things from a non religious sense.

And mores the point you don’t have to be a religious person to be a good person.

I’ve been involved in lots of community organisations doing charity work.

I wouldn’t say as a result I’m a good person but there’s lots of good people doing great things from a non religious sense.
The problem is - what acts in life define a good person? What are the standards? Is it a ledger that needs to be balanced? Most would say, I don't rape, kill or steal, therefore I'm a pretty good person. It's easy to appraise myself as a good person by comparing my actions to those of a monster.

I don't think there are any truly good people in the world. Not even one.

The problem is - what acts in life define a good person? What are the standards? Is it a ledger that needs to be balanced? Most would say, I don't rape, kill or steal, therefore I'm a pretty good person. It's easy to appraise myself as a good person by comparing my actions to those of a monster.

I don't think there are any truly good people in the world. Not even one.

I Agree Kevin. Just finished reading an autobiography on Gandhi's early life until the 1920s and a sanctioned biography on Mandela. Both outstanding voices of the 20th century, self sacrificing, totally committed for their respective peoples. Yet both had some serious flaws, which they admitted to.

I suspect those who reached a state of being almost saints, have dark secrets in their background. We all have them. I look back at mine with some horror and shame. Its human nature I'm afraid. That battle between our wants and needs and our needs within our social life determine our morals. But morals are inventions to suit the society you live in to give it form and security.

But different societies have different values. Even our values concerning killing another are paradoxical when we look at it carefully. If I kill another for what I feel are legitimate personal reasons I am ostracised and declared a murderer. But if the state sends me to war and I kill someone on the other side who is just like me, trying to survive, I'm likely to be declared a hero.

Some societies maintain it is or was quite moral to kill the infidel or enemy and take booty. Christian popes declared not only that it was right to kill an infidel in the Crusades, but in doing so your other sins would be forgiven. Suleiman the Magnificent sent many to suicidal deaths in trying to take Vienna and Malta, declaring they would receive blessings in Paradise. His Janissaries, or elite shock troops, many stolen Christian boys conditioned to total devotion to Sultan, would die rushing into boiling oil. Vikings saw absolutely no wrong in attacking monasteries, killing the priests and taking the goodies. and dying in the attempt was honourable. Spartans sent out in training to survive in the land could steal with impunity but to be caught was dishonourable.

Such is the moral complexity of we humans

Of course if morals are real and we are judged by them then the following by a student in chemistry seems valid

HELL EXPLAINED BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:
First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.
< /P>

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct.....leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

I Agree Kevin. Just finished reading an autobiography on Gandhi's early life until the 1920s and a sanctioned biography on Mandela. Both outstanding voices of the 20th century, self sacrificing, totally committed for their respective peoples. Yet both had some serious flaws, which they admitted to.

I suspect those who reached a state of being almost saints, have dark secrets in their background. We all have them. I look back at mine with some horror and shame. Its human nature I'm afraid. That battle between our wants and needs and our needs within our social life determine our morals. But morals are inventions to suit the society you live in to give it form and security.

But different societies have different values. Even our values concerning killing another are paradoxical when we look at it carefully. If I kill another for what I feel are legitimate personal reasons I am ostracised and declared a murderer. But if the state sends me to war and I kill someone on the other side who is just like me, trying to survive, I'm likely to be declared a hero.

Some societies maintain it is or was quite moral to kill the infidel or enemy and take booty. Christian popes declared not only that it was right to kill an infidel in the Crusades, but in doing so your other sins would be forgiven. Suleiman the Magnificent sent many to suicidal deaths in trying to take Vienna and Malta, declaring they would receive blessings in Paradise. His Janissaries, or elite shock troops, many stolen Christian boys conditioned to total devotion to Sultan, would die rushing into boiling oil. Vikings saw absolutely no wrong in attacking monasteries, killing the priests and taking the goodies. and dying in the attempt was honourable. Spartans sent out in training to survive in the land could steal with impunity but to be caught was dishonourable.

Such is the moral complexity of we humans
Nice post, but I doubt any pope in history was in fact a Christian.

I'm counting on William Shatner to find some omnipotent beings on his latest voyage into outer space....he deserves some joy after his failed venture into womens underwear , Shatner Pants proved unpopular.

We should all dress like this for when he lands back ..

roddy-mcdowall-planet-of-the-apes-1968-RYJ9Y8.jpg

To the Non believers

God exists

and here is proof of his most greatest and magnificent creation of all the Galaxies
erotisches-eva-kostuem--bibel-kostuem--adam-und-eva-kostuem---dschungelcamp-kostuem--tarzan-ja...jpg

The universe doesn't give a **** what we believe.

Quite a reasonable statement. Doesn't say though that there isn't some ultimate design. One of the strangest elements of the Universe is the existence of life. Its the most paradoxical thing that something can, out of inanimate matter, form something that eventually becomes self aware and observe existence. Not saying it proves intent, but its a damn spooky thing when you step outside of yourself and think of it logically and impartially. The Universe despite being an ordered chaos, does show increasing complexity leading to life. Almost like it was meant to happen that way.

Quite a reasonable statement. Doesn't say though that there isn't some ultimate design. One of the strangest elements of the Universe is the existence of life. Its the most paradoxical thing that something can, out of inanimate matter, form something that eventually becomes self aware and observe existence. Not saying it proves intent, but its a damn spooky thing when you step outside of yourself and think of it logically and impartially. The Universe despite being an ordered chaos, does show increasing complexity leading to life. Almost like it was meant to happen that way.
I've got to admit I've always been sceptical of the random chaos scenario that Stephen Hawking seemed to favour. He probably knows the answer now.........or maybe he doesn't.

Is this the thread that will never die ??
Yes. Unlike all of us.
It seems the level of discussion has regressed a bit, now we are down to 'almost like it was meant to happen', now just waiting for someone to point out that the beauty of a sunset surely proves there is a God.
Personally I preferred the post in the Dolphins thread about how cetaceans evolved 50 million years ago from 4 legged animals, I find that quite inspiring :)

Yes. Unlike all of us.
It seems the level of discussion has regressed a bit, now we are down to 'almost like it was meant to happen', now just waiting for someone to point out that the beauty of a sunset surely proves there is a God.
Personally I preferred the post in the Dolphins thread about how cetaceans evolved 50 million years ago from 4 legged animals, I find that quite inspiring :)
Me too. Fortune telling is pissing in the wind.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4