omnipotent beings discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Actually, I misread Bear's post. He is referring to the books in the New Testament which are referred to as Biblical Canon. The dates he has posted are still likely 200 years off. The Gospels, Revelation and Paul's letters were all written 40-70 years after the crucifixion.

Most of those Biblical names were converted into the Greek. In fact their Aramaic names were quite different. For example Jesus was Yeshua ben Yosef, Simon Peter was Shimon Kephas, Thomas was To'am or Taoma meaning twin. The New Testament was compiled and written in the Greek so they adapted the names into Greek and we get the later Anglicised versions.

Actually the New Testament didn't exist until the 27 parts were compiled into one book if you like by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria in 367 AD. Many of the pieces about Christ were left out and many can be found from the Coptic material and compiled to form what is called the Nag Hammadi (I own a copy), including material called the Gospel Of Thomas (believed to be the earliest compilation of Christ's sayings written), The Gospel of Mary Magdalen, probably put in writing in the second century AD. Not unusual. Material on Buddha was not written down for a couple of centuries after he died and the Koran is believed to have mainly been compiled by Mohamed's followers based on his revelations. Fascinating subjects concerning how religions develop.

So, what you are in fact saying .. or at least illuminating ... is that even back then, the holy scribes where more interested in presenting a work that was marketable, presentable, pleasant and acceptable to the ears of a non aramaic audience than they were to completing a factual tome .. If you are going to change peoples names, what other fibs are you likely to tell ..

So, what you are in fact saying .. or at least illuminating ... is that even back then, the holy scribes where more interested in presenting a work that was marketable, presentable, pleasant and acceptable to the ears of a non aramaic audience than they were to completing a factual tome .. If you are going to change peoples names, what other fibs are you likely to tell ..

Yep

I was at one stage, among many other careers I attempted, training to be a Methodist Minister. I tried a lot of roles during by 20s including advertising ( I was sacked for opposing irresponsible actions of a copywriter who expected unsafe actions of a late teens woman under my responsibility), some sales (I was horrible in that area), some minor radio work, editing two magazine (not heavy duty mind you), taxi driving, a little modelling (no I wasn't successful there either), estimating clerk, house parent for street teens and a little gardening/landscaping. Even a couple of times compered children talent quests on stage before a couple of hundred old dears, one of whom mistakened me for Johnny Young (what a hoot). Then I trained for the ministry but then I saw the light. The rest you probably know. Now you know where the religious material comes from and the range of careers I attempted most of which I considered myself sh.t at. Part of that was learning ancient Greek (and no I've lost most of it). Any more questions?

I was at one stage, among many other careers I attempted, training to be a Methodist Minister. I tried a lot of roles during by 20s including advertising ( I was sacked for opposing irresponsible actions of a copywriter who expected unsafe actions of a late teens woman under my responsibility), some sales (I was horrible in that area), some minor radio work, editing two magazine (not heavy duty mind you), taxi driving, a little modelling (no I wasn't successful there either), estimating clerk, house parent for street teens and a little gardening/landscaping. Even a couple of times compered children talent quests on stage before a couple of hundred old dears, one of whom mistakened me for Johnny Young (what a hoot). Then I trained for the ministry but then I saw the light. The rest you probably know. Now you know where the religious material comes from and the range of careers I attempted most of which I considered myself sh.t at. Part of that was learning ancient Greek (and no I've lost most of it). Any more questions?
You have certainly lived a full life. Both the Aramaic and Greek translations of the Bible are more readily available than ever before. You can literally pick any verse, passage or chapter apart in a few minutes now. As one super intelligent guy by the name of Chuck Missler said - today a person can learn more about the translation of the ancient texts in one day, than a serious, devoted theologian could in five years. The Blue Letter Bible is wonderful - perhaps you should check it out. A couple of hours on that and you'll surpass what you managed to pick up while studying those old dusty books all those years ago.
Αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν, ζητειτε και ευρησετε, κρουετε και ανοιγσεται υμιν·

Last edited:
You have certainly lived a full life. Both the Aramaic and Greek translations of the Bible are now more readily available than ever before. You can literally pick any verse, passage or chapter apart in a few minutes now. As one super intelligent guy by the name of Chuck Missler said - today a person can learn more about the translation of the ancient texts in one day, than a serious, devoted theologian could in five years. The Blue Letter Bible is wonderful - perhaps you should check it out. A couple of hours on that and you'll surpass what you managed to pick up while studying those old dusty books all those years ago.
Αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν, ζητειτε και ευρησετε, κρουετε και ανοιγσεται υμιν·

Dont expect me to translate that passage without help from a translator old mate. That was over forty years ago. Mind you I was deeply in love with a Greek lass (Greek is somewhat different these days) and I used to call her n elenika thea (cant work out how to use the Greek lettering on computer - computers, like mechanics, leave me feeling inadequate) but it basically means The Greek Goddess. Unfortunately I was not born Greek, so I missed out on tying the knot with that one. Still friends though. Greek tragedy I'm afraid.

As for your Greek comment I'm not sure it translates properly unless its a variation of Christ's version where yours comes out 'You ask and a hymn is given, you ask and you find, you knock and a hymn opens' which I assume is 'Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find it, knock and it shall be opened to you' (Luke 11:9). Luke was an interesting character. Generally thought to be a follower of Paul, perhaps a physician and also wrote the Acts of the Apostles. Probably borrowed much of Mark's material as did the Matthew author who was probably tied to the Jerusalem church run by James, apparently Jesus's brother. Possibly Mark had access to the material the Thomas author had (maybe what's called the Q material), and created a chronology to give the material sense

The Sea Eagles have most of the biblical names covered, we've got Simon Booth, Paul Shaw, John Jones, Matthew Wright, Luke Williamson, Phillip Blake, James Hasson, Peter Peters, Andrew Davey, Thomas Turbo, Bartholomews @bones , Mark Carroll, and Brian Kelly (life of)

The Sea Eagles have most of the biblical names covered, we've got Simon Booth, Paul Shaw, John Jones, Matthew Wright, Luke Williamson, Phillip Blake, James Hasson, Peter Peters, Andrew Davey, Thomas Turbo, Bartholomews @bones , Mark Carroll, and Brian Kelly (life of)

Does it cover 'Bearfax'. I'm feeling the spirit at the moment. Mind you I think I prefer the Indigenous Australian's animist faith and the Dream Land concept. I've often been told I dream too much. Maybe I'm caught between two existences.

Everybody knows St John lived in the desert, ate locusts and wild honey but not many know of his music

I read that St John .. aka Ibraham Bin Habakkuk actually played either the oud or the qanun and his style was yodeling vibrato .. but those pesky Greek translaters changed it to steel guitar with a touch of redneck hillbilly to appeal to the Christians ..

Oh my... I have never looked at the content in this tread until today.... that was 5 minutes of my life I wont get back. You people need to get a life instead of debating/discussing this stuff lol. I know I wont be looking again. Wow so much said about nothing.

Fellow feathered friends let us stop what we are doing for a few precious moments
and together say a little prayer

Glory to our legendary club the Manly Sea eagles

Glory to The Godfather Ken Arthurson

Glory to The Son The one and only Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton

Glory to The Holy Spirit (All the Passionate and for ever Loyal Manly club members)

For ever and ever

Amen

God bless
NRL681AE_1800x1800.jpg

Oh my... I have never looked at the content in this tread until today.... that was 5 minutes of my life I wont get back. You people need to get a life instead of debating/discussing this stuff lol. I know I wont be looking again. Wow so much said about nothing.
As I said above 79 pages of sweet **** all!!

I read that St John .. aka Ibraham Bin Habakkuk actually played either the oud or the qanun and his style was yodeling vibrato .. but those pesky Greek translaters changed it to steel guitar with a touch of redneck hillbilly to appeal to the Christians ..

He was also the Baptist, and you know you cant trust the Baptists.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8