omnipotent beings discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I understand the Kangaroos were big bounders in those days and actually jumped from Australia to New Guinea and then the sequence of Indonesian Islands. Big mothers in those days. Not sure about the Koalas. Drift wood probably. And the wombats never got on the arc. They just went underground and waited for the waters to subside. Tough getting to the ark from Australia. I understand the unicorns arrived just too late I'm afraid.

Ah the 'free will' argument always raises some uncomfortable issues I'm afraid.

Do we really have free will?

There are five elements that make us what we are today. Genetically Homo sapiens with all the behavioural characteristics in the package. Individual genetic characteristics that lead us into certain behaviours and skills. Social conditioning from birth so we can fit in the familial and social environments in which we have to live. Individual experiences that lead to each travelling different journeys. And finally associations, who we mix and relate with.

Each determine how we act and think and lead us to decide based on a combination of those factors. So where is true free will.

Scientific research suggests we already know what we will decide subliminally based on those factors before we are actually conscious of making those decisions. So are we in a sense predestined by those five factors to make our decisions in a certain way and our belief that we are somehow able to make decisions independent of those factors, just an illusion. Good question...but then I could already sense that I was gong to write that subliminally

242023010_10160033069507033_4021039750143679075_n.jpg

More the problem were the termites. How else do we explain the total disappearance of all the gopherwood that was the makeup of the Ark so we cant see it anymore. I mean did Noah not get special instructions from God that it was a mistake letting them on board. And then there were the cane toads.

Ah the 'free will' argument always raises some uncomfortable issues I'm afraid.

Do we really have free will?

There are five elements that make us what we are today. Genetically Homo sapiens with all the behavioural characteristics in the package. Individual genetic characteristics that lead us into certain behaviours and skills. Social conditioning from birth so we can fit in the familial and social environments in which we have to live. Individual experiences that lead to each travelling different journeys. And finally associations, who we mix and relate with.

Each determine how we act and think and lead us to decide based on a combination of those factors. So where is true free will.

Scientific research suggests we already know what we will decide subliminally based on those factors before we are actually conscious of making those decisions. So are we in a sense predestined by those five factors to make our decisions in a certain way and our belief that we are somehow able to make decisions independent of those factors, just an illusion. Good question...but then I could already sense that I was gong to write that subliminally
The free will conundrum is interesting. Either God created free will and set the parameters for it - and hence it isn't really free - or there is at least one thing in the universe beyond the control and understanding of God. The same problem raises its head when we consider sin and evil.

The free will conundrum is interesting. Either God created free will and set the parameters for it - and hence it isn't really free - or there is at least one thing in the universe beyond the control and understanding of God. The same problem raises its head when we consider sin and evil.

Next sermon. Sin and evil are in the eye of the beholder. One man's sin is another man's blessing. Has nothing to do with gods, its to do with the balance between one's personal wants and needs and their social wants and needs. There in lies the origins of laws and the issues of sins and evil.

Next sermon. Sin and evil are in the eye of the beholder. One man's sin is another man's blessing. Has nothing to do with gods, its to do with the balance between one's personal wants and needs and their social wants and needs. There in lies the origins of laws and the issues of sins and evil.
If it's such a convoluted issue how does God decide who he will send to Hell? Especially considering the paucity of lawyers and judges in Heavon. I thought our court system was constipated. People must be stranded in purgatory for eons waiting for a judgement.

If it's such a convoluted issue how does God decide who he will send to Hell? Especially considering the paucity of lawyers and judges in Heavon. I thought our court system was constipated. People must be stranded in purgatory for eons waiting for a judgement.
It's a commandment to observe the Sabbath which was Saturday. Then they changed it to Sunday.
So there could be two people in hell who only two days apart observed the Sabbath on the wrong day.
Which by a difference of one day was the good Sabbath...

Depends upon whether you believe in purgatory, I would suggest its a concept that was never suggested in early Christian philosophy. It was an invention of the 12th century. So maybe God just created it recently for lawyers and judges in our time. Mind you they say lawyers are the second oldest profession we have, so they existed well before purgatory was conceived. Maybe they went to a hell where they lost every case.

History is constantly being re-written thanks to, well facts.
The discovery of 20,000 y.o fossilised footprints in North America puts humans there long before what current teaching says.

I wonder what God they lived under?

History is constantly being re-written thanks to, well facts.
The discovery of 20,000 y.o fossilised footprints in North America puts humans there long before what current teaching says.

I wonder what God they lived under?
It's wonderful to think about isn't it. They lived among camels and archaic elephants and fashioned crude stone tools on a continent almost completely untouched by humans.

I'm sure the gods they worshipped were the gods appropriate to their time and place. Maybe the problem with modern religion is that we are still carrying around a God from the bronze age. Maybe we need new gods appropriate to the modern world.

It's wonderful to think about isn't it. They lived among camels and archaic elephants and fashioned crude stone tools on a continent almost completely untouched by humans.

I'm sure the gods they worshipped were the gods appropriate to their time and place. Maybe the problem with modern religion is that we are still carrying around a God from the bronze age. Maybe we need new gods appropriate to the modern world.
Our big 3 sand based, male orientated religions not appropriate for the modern world? Well I never.

Just read a question that has me stumped ..

Q) .. Born and living in the Middle East, where most blokes are called Avram, Joakim or Habakkuk, .. how did Jesus meet blokes called Paul, John, Matthew, Peter, James, Thomas Andrew etc ?

Q) .. Born and living in the Middle East, where most blokes are called Avram, Joakim or Habakkuk, .. how did Jesus meet blokes called Paul, John, Matthew, Peter, James, Thomas Andrew etc ?

Most of those Biblical names were converted into the Greek. In fact their Aramaic names were quite different. For example Jesus was Yeshua ben Yosef, Simon Peter was Shimon Kephas, Thomas was To'am or Taoma meaning twin. The New Testament was compiled and written in the Greek so they adapted the names into Greek and we get the later Anglicised versions.

Actually the New Testament didn't exist until the 27 parts were compiled into one book if you like by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria in 367 AD. Many of the pieces about Christ were left out and many can be found from the Coptic material and compiled to form what is called the Nag Hammadi (I own a copy), including material called the Gospel Of Thomas (believed to be the earliest compilation of Christ's sayings written), The Gospel of Mary Magdalen, probably put in writing in the second century AD. Not unusual. Material on Buddha was not written down for a couple of centuries after he died and the Koran is believed to have mainly been compiled by Mohamed's followers based on his revelations. Fascinating subjects concerning how religions develop.

Most of those Biblical names were converted into the Greek. In fact their Aramaic names were quite different. For example Jesus was Yeshua ben Yosef, Simon Peter was Shimon Kephas, Thomas was To'am or Taoma meaning twin. The New Testament was compiled and written in the Greek so they adapted the names into Greek and we get the later Anglicised versions.

Actually the New Testament didn't exist until the 27 parts were compiled into one book if you like by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria in 367 AD. Many of the pieces about Christ were left out and many can be found from the Coptic material and compiled to form what is called the Nag Hammadi (I own a copy), including material called the Gospel Of Thomas (believed to be the earliest compilation of Christ's sayings written), The Gospel of Mary Magdalen, probably put in writing in the second century AD. Not unusual. Material on Buddha was not written down for a couple of centuries after he died and the Koran is believed to have mainly been compiled by Mohamed's followers based on his revelations. Fascinating subjects concerning how religions develop.

Thank you ... Surely the woke people can protest this outrageous insult to the Aramaic peoples and demand that their true names are used .. even if Erin Molan and Rabs have difficulty pronouncing them ... Bloody insensitive Greek basstards ...

This bloke was a teacher - yet he displays such astounding ignorance.
Simon - Shimon. Thomas - Ta'om. John - Yohannon. Peter - Petros. James - Ya'akov. Matthew - Mattatia etc. Probably best you stick to teaching Charlie Darwin's monkey business mate.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2