Oldfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
the mauler said:
Im not hating on the kid, hes got a heap of talent imo. Its not just tonight,hes not getting involved and making some crucial errors. I understand that hes not getting any ball,but whats stopping him from getting into dummy half and having a run?

To get some confidence, hes got to try and involve himself in the game.

Ballin

But 2nd most dummy half runs to him cant be that bad surely

another win for pre-judgement on ST

Can you remember robo being at fault for a try? i am sure he was but none spring to mind

he didn't make any mistakes but when someone got past him it was like watching the Benny Hill chases with the music! Robbo was a top grade finisher and never made mistakes.

He's only a kid and will improve!! In the end, we are top loaded with our salary cap so we need some rookie contracts, oldfield, mauro, buhrer etc

All three games so far have been bloody tough though. I thought he involved himself as much as he could while not out positoning himself. The Tigers will find you out quickly. See how he's going when Matai returns.

For all you blokes putting **** on him two words Tony Williams

Most of you were the ones who bagged the **** out of trex. How did that end up?

Im not bagging him im simply stating a preference for Whare.

Also your comparison with T-Rex is misguided unless you are suggesting Oldfield should shift to the backrow?

Anyhow for the 10th time i think Oldfield is a good player who may we'll develop into a great winger but at this moment in time i'd go with Whare on the wing when matai returns

Disco said:
Im not bagging him im simply stating a preference for Whare.

Also your comparison with T-Rex is misguided unless you are suggesting Oldfield should shift to the backrow?

Anyhow for the 10th time i think Oldfield is a good player who may we'll develop into a great winger but at this moment in time i'd go with Whare on the wing when matai returns
Disco there's been alot harsher stuff said that what you posted mate.

Why did he batt the ball instead of simply grounding it, should he be dropped for it, probably not. Would like to see him given a chance to see how he goes, if mistakes become a regular thing then we can start looking at other options.

Cambo said:
For all you blokes putting s**t on him two words Tony Williams

Most of you were the ones who bagged the s**t out of trex. How did that end up?
Good point Cambo , this guy has speed and talent lets give him time to gain some confidence

TokyoEagle said:
Why did he batt the ball instead of simply grounding it, should he be dropped for it, probably not. Would like to see him given a chance to see how he goes, if mistakes become a regular thing then we can start looking at other options.

I'm pretty sure he was at full stretch and simply couldn't ground it or get enough on it to knock it out. Typical arsey Tigers try.
He'll learn from it, I hope. Next time he might try to give the opposing winger more of a bump.

Give him time as he's still learning and coming to terms with the intensity of 1st grade. He's more of an athlete that a "footy player" and I just think he needs to work out how he best fits into the team.

I think the comparison with T-Rex is valid. Remember when he was playing on the wing outside Jamie Lyon and Jamie would look to give him early ball in space so he had room to move? A good centre can help bring out the best in his winger.

I think his game would improve much quicker if he swapped with Wolfman and played outside Jamie as he did on occasion last year..... remember the Sharks game and the try in the final seconds?

The Wolfman is experienced enough to play outside Whare for the time being and Matai when he returns.

I seem to recall that Oldfield won us the match at Shark Park last season. He's a player that's probaboy on 150K and he's worth persisting with. I've checked the replay and he really didn't get any quality ball to run with, or have any chance of making metres on any return. It was a tight game and the Tigers aren't a bunch of mugs, especially out wide.

I think Wolfie's defensive lapses are more the worry.

His defence is a bit of a concern but I'm sure it's work in progress and I would persist with him for a while longer. He looks like he could be very handy once his confidence grows.

Oldfield's missed bat away was evidence of low confidence.
He absolutely had the ball covered, didn't trust himself and instead of running to the ball made a dive from distance. There was zero need for this. A simple put away if he stayed on his feet.

On the plus side his confidence with defence seems to be improving this year.

For the subsequent Wests try two bench players (Robinson and Buhrer) stopped chasing when Farah put the ball on the toe. They keep pace with the supporting attackers and the try simply does not get scored. They need to watch the desperation Foran plays with.

Felt the same way Rex about the benchies giving up too soon, soft option.
DSM Oldie would be on far less than 100K a year, probably jsut minimum.

By seasons end there will plenty of highlight reels featuring Oldfield - most good, some bad. Thing is he has the elements to be a quality finisher & the first 2 games have been arguably 2 of our main rivals in 2012 so definately starting at the deep end. the only critisism for mine apart from the obvious errors would be his lack of involvement. He needs to watch some footage of young Hoppa from 2011 because the more he gets involved the quicker he will develope & yes - that does include the odd mistake.
I have faith he will be our long term winger & fans will be treated to some spectacular tries from this kid. ;)

Cambo said:

Plenty more names than that you could add to the list

Steve Matai would "never be a first grader"
Glenn Stewart, "too small and only kept coz of Brett"
Jamie Lyon, "Fat, over rated piece of crap" for about the 1st 3 months at least that he was with us
Brent Kite "Waste of money"

List could go on

I'll never forget reading these forums in 2005 and 95% of fans rated Ashley Alberts over Matai. Thank f*** none of this 95% are coaches or talent scouts.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Cambo said:

Plenty more names than that you could add to the list

Steve Matai would "never be a first grader"
Glenn Stewart, "too small and only kept coz of Brett"
Jamie Lyon, "Fat, over rated piece of crap" for about the 1st 3 months at least that he was with us
Brent Kite "Waste of money"

List could go on

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8