• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Definately need a halfback. I vote Foran (not out of nostalgia), then in the distance but still in view Maloney, then lightyears away Green
If Foran can get through this year without anthor injury set back, Id go with Foran. He has that connection with Dez, has played with Chez, is a Manly junior, is a leader on the field and from what I have seen him playing this year would be still a great fit for Manly. Can still steer a side around would be great on the left hand side with Dylan, have Chez run the right hand side with Suli. Only 29.

The other two no way, Maloney hasn't played NRL for a season and is 35! Would be a liabilty in defence and would only play for one season. Green, nah, can't tackle and too old

If Foran can get through this year without anthor injury set back, Id go with Foran. He has that connection with Dez, has played with Chez, is a Manly junior, is a leader on the field and from what I have seen him playing this year would be still a great fit for Manly. Can still steer a side around would be great on the left hand side with Dylan, have Chez run the right hand side with Suli. Only 29.

The other two no way, Maloney hasn't played NRL for a season and is 35! Would be a liabilty in defence and would only play for one season. Green, nah, can't tackle and too old
Good point re maloney.

Even though Foz has had his run with injury he is still only 29 and looks to be back fit. I think 2 year deal for him. His leadership at the dogs is invaluable and our attack totally needs a player who straightens it like him imo. I've been surprised how well he's been able to play despite being in a really poor squad. That tells me he is still a top 3 half and quietly I get a little jelous when I see how confident Foran plays and direct compared to DCE. They really are a halves match made in heaven, perfect compliment.

For me I would not even be thinking of bringing in another player for the 5/8 position until we get to see Schuster in action. If he is as dominant a player as he has been throughout his junior career, winning best player in each comp a few years in a row I understand, then we have the answer.

Just as Foran and DCE made such an impact when they suddenly appeared ( a year apart) in first grade and quickly became THE half-5/8 combination in the comp, I suspect Schuster could be the next such impact player. But he has to be brought in to the team to see how he performs. To wait for next year, stalls his progress.

And at this point I would be looking at his and young Hoppa's contracts. Schuster is only contracted, I understand, until the end of 2021, opening the door for other sides to sneak under our guard and nab him. Young Hoppa is even in a worse situation because he is only contracted for 2020. Two of the outstanding juniors in the comp and Manly is again procrastinating.

Terrific prospect that he is , don't think that Schuster has a kicking game of any note right now. so not really sure how this would particularly improve the 6 position in the near future with any elevation of him there . Walker is staying around into next season and on any reasonable measure , the Walker - D C E combination has been fairly effective . Well the best on offer to date . Also expect Schuster "s eventual inclusion in the Manly side will be as an edge forward unless he swaps positions with Jake . Just have to see how it pans out for the rest of the season but with cap restrictions , doubt that the club will chase any additional 6 into the roster . Walker is no different from guys like Munster and Michael Morgan playing at six for their respective clubs , namely the best available and fit for that position . Probably will retain Cust and still have Croker to cover the halves . Metcalfe again has the ability but would seem to still have some way to go to be at the next level , not sure when his opportunity may come at Manly either .

We don’t need to buy a 5/8 we need to use the talent we have.
That's nice in theory, but that's been our approach since Green left

Enough engineering a half. I say buy an experienced one on a short deal and squeeze them of all their experience on the field and off of it to train the next gen. Like Cronk at the Chooks with Keary and their depth, he catalysed their development

That's nice in theory, but that's been our approach since Green left

Enough engineering a half. I say buy an experienced one on a short deal and squeeze them of all their experience on the field and off of it to train the next gen. Like Cronk at the Chooks with Keary and their depth, he catalysed their development
Good idea Harry but Cronk is a future immortal and they paid 1 million for the pleasure. We have a 1.3 mill half already long term so the budget is way less. Within that budget I look at the NRL and see no one that is either

(A) gettable
or
(B) a better option

The most improved and maybe within budget is Kurt Mann but knights have finally found a 6 and won’t be letting him go. On the cheaper scale the Penrith kid with the headgear ( name escapes me ) is handy too but my mail is they have high hopes for him.

Cupboard is bare out there feathered friends.
Over to you Cade , Josh and co ...

Last edited:
Good idea Harry but Cronk is a future immortal and they paid 1 million for the pleasure. We have a 1.3 mill half already long term so the budget is way less. Within that budget I look at the NRL and see no one that is either

(A) gettable
or
(B) a better option

The most improved and maybe within budget is Kurt Mann but knights have finally found a 6 and won’t be letting him go. On the cheaper scale the Penrith kid with the headgear ( name escapes me ) is handy too but my mail is they have high hopes for him.

Cupboard is bare out there feathered friends.
Over to you Cade , Josh and co ...
Oh yeah Matt Burton, great option.

Yeah dce's contract does limit us. Although I believe there was an article where foz said he was preparing to drop 500K on his next salary. For a 29 year old, if he lasts a year or two I think it is a great opportunity.
Outside of foz seems very slim. Nrl isn't producing many genuine halfbacks nowadays. Burton has potential, as does schuster.

What's everyone's thoughts on loaning Schuster to the Warriors for a few games. Would be good to help the Warriors out given what they've sacrificed and he gets some first grade experience. If they keep getting smashed though could have detrimental effect on his confidence etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on loaning Schuster to the Warriors for a few games. Would be good to help the Warriors out given what they've sacrificed and he gets some first grade experience. If they keep getting smashed though could have detrimental effect on his confidence etc.

Not sure , but its a good ask . Depends how close he is to a spot at manly. Not sure todd payten looked like he would be looking to develop for us.

Terrific prospect that he is , don't think that Schuster has a kicking game of any note right now. so not really sure how this would particularly improve the 6 position in the near future with any elevation of him there . Walker is staying around into next season and on any reasonable measure , the Walker - D C E combination has been fairly effective . Well the best on offer to date . Also expect Schuster "s eventual inclusion in the Manly side will be as an edge forward unless he swaps positions with Jake . Just have to see how it pans out for the rest of the season but with cap restrictions , doubt that the club will chase any additional 6 into the roster . Walker is no different from guys like Munster and Michael Morgan playing at six for their respective clubs , namely the best available and fit for that position . Probably will retain Cust and still have Croker to cover the halves . Metcalfe again has the ability but would seem to still have some way to go to be at the next level , not sure when his opportunity may come at Manly either .

I take it you've watched Schuster in action. The guy has something others lack and that's deceptiveness and vision. What I've seen reminds me of Lyons, though I realise until we see him in first grade we cant be sure. But any kid considered the No 1 prospect by those assessing the junior comps, is potentially a star in the making. Sorry Al but I think he offers far more than the players we have trying out the 5/8 position including Croker and Walker. Croker is solid and possibly a good hooker, Walker should be in the centres where his speed is an asset. As for kicking skill, I suggest you watch the segment below. He's got a great kicking game.

My gut feeling is that if he is able to translate his junior skills to first grade, I suspect he'll be at least as good as Munster and Morgan, maybe even better. In a conversation I had with one of the inside men in the club, I know both Hopoate and Schuster are very highly regarded and the impression I got was that they are high on the list for retention. But he would say no more.

Good to think outside the box but I'll say no. We want his debut to be something he always remembers and treasures and shares with his sea eagle teammates. Besides which I agree the chances are he and they would get smashed.
We'll bring him in against a suitable opponent, my guess would be round 11 vs Cows or round 13 vs Warriors. And as susan says, to play at Number 14.

DCE has played like a 6 since day dot in first grade with Foran acting as a 5/8 on the left and would drift in the middle as a link man for the right.

Walker is doing the exact same thing and progressing nicely enough given he hasn't had a long consistent run in the halves due to Barrett taking the easy option and not being patient and now injury.

The main issue is with our go forward straightness, explosiveness and a lack of short passing to straight runners in the forwards(which i expected this year to see a progression to take us to another level)

The other issue is DCE is not as smart a player as made out, even worse he has an all round skillset but devoid of ideas how to best use his skills---it's a joke for a player on 1.3 million plus CPI increases.

I mean come on how many times do you have to run to the line in the redzone and basically only offer up an outside foot grubber when it is not on(unlike the Johns brothers who had a little science behind their grubbers) or the short side hitting the lead runner straight play.

And people here were bragging that DCE was better than Cronk all those years ago----seriously.

Stop with the devoid of ideas under plays back inside to Siro unless you are going to create variations to that play that keep the inside defence honest. Teams see the play a million miles away and rush out ready to smash Siro, how about taking advantage of this "predictability" and have Siro hit a straight runner behind the rush up inside defence ready for Siro.

Now people here are going to nag on me for mentioning "Melb" again but you can see they try and limit their under plays, they see that as a sign of bad habits creeping in that will take away from "straightness" at the advantage line----forwards pushing up in straight support is drilled into each player as a "non negotiable" has to be done or i am going to rip shreds off you in the video session the following day.

As Cronk mentioned a few weeks ago the true test to that set play from Jake to Tom earlier in the year is all about creating variations to that play as teams will read it soon enough.(i got the impression he was trying to imply "what differentiates "Me/Melb/Roosters" is that they keep developing and learning while others stagnate and replicate what worked once over and over.

DCE not having an attacking aerial kicking play in the redzone is pathetic after all these years for someone so talented----could be soooo much better and one of the greats of the game but has just been content to play behind second man plays and be a half arsed 5/8.

I do love DCE's effort plays and chasing his own kicks, you can't knock his efforts that is for sure, i just get so annoyed seeing such talent not flourish as it should.

DCE would do better in an old school Brisbane team lacking structure but playing off the cuff like in the 90's and leading a team similar to that around.

On another topic the above is probably why Brisbane lack success in the more "structured professional" years of footy the last 15-20yrs. Brisbane teams of the past loved quick play the balls and playing off the cuff with skilled players taking advantage of the speed of play but when it comes to the "Science" of the game and team culture it is lacking big time compared to NSW clubs and Melb.(conversely this is why Qlders play so well in Origin with a lack of structure combined with a proud culture representing Qld)

It just looks like some players feel they have "made it" by just wearing a Broncos jersey in their lifetime, hoping the 90's glory days will rub off on them. So much money and resources at the Broncos and yet they look the least professional game wise.(so boring to watch)

Recruitment wise they see the wrong things in players for the last 20yrs, anyone with half a brain can see Milford was never going to make a success of the halves with his limited skillset and smarts---that is just one example of many.

If i was Brisbane i would go all out for DCE again as the speed of play with the new rules on a fast Qld track will suit DCE big time, playing more off the cuff and you know deep down DCE wants the love of a big city behind him.(I'm sure "The Secret" will make his dream come true)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4