• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I take it you've watched Schuster in action. The guy has something others lack and that's deceptiveness and vision. What I've seen reminds me of Lyons, though I realise until we see him in first grade we cant be sure. But any kid considered the No 1 prospect by those assessing the junior comps, is potentially a star in the making. Sorry Al but I think he offers far more than the players we have trying out the 5/8 position including Croker and Walker. Croker is solid and possibly a good hooker, Walker should be in the centres where his speed is an asset. As for kicking skill, I suggest you watch the segment below. He's got a great kicking game.

My gut feeling is that if he is able to translate his junior skills to first grade, I suspect he'll be at least as good as Munster and Morgan, maybe even better. In a conversation I had with one of the inside men in the club, I know both Hopoate and Schuster are very highly regarded and the impression I got was that they are high on the list for retention. But he would say no more.

They rate him extremely highly, he’s a future star, but unless we get some fearful floggings or until we are out of contention or have more injuries you will not see Josh in the 6.
We all complain about someone taking the pressure off DCE in the strategic kicking department and being a game manager.I assume you haven’t seen Shuster play a lot Bear - as he won’t be fixing that issue, at least not early in his career.
He can kick but not in the style of a bloke who is running a team around the park like Cronk , Green , Pearce etc . I think you would see a fair bit of chaos laced with moments of brilliance if those two combined right now . Not sure that’s the right recipe.

Personally I have no issue with Walker as last years run showed and one of the biggest reasons is there are no halfbacks out there who are gettable and will be better.

Last edited:
I take it you've watched Schuster in action. The guy has something others lack and that's deceptiveness and vision. What I've seen reminds me of Lyons, though I realise until we see him in first grade we cant be sure. But any kid considered the No 1 prospect by those assessing the junior comps, is potentially a star in the making. Sorry Al but I think he offers far more than the players we have trying out the 5/8 position including Croker and Walker. Croker is solid and possibly a good hooker, Walker should be in the centres where his speed is an asset. As for kicking skill, I suggest you watch the segment below. He's got a great kicking game.

My gut feeling is that if he is able to translate his junior skills to first grade, I suspect he'll be at least as good as Munster and Morgan, maybe even better. In a conversation I had with one of the inside men in the club, I know both Hopoate and Schuster are very highly regarded and the impression I got was that they are high on the list for retention. But he would say no more.

My error. Schuster is signed until end of 2022 season. But still...

With the faster game, ball in action for longer time periods Schuster will suit NRL more than he was going to.
If we somehow get Fainu (played some halfback in jnrs) back id like to see him taking a few kicks in general play to take pressure off dce and walks/cust/croaks.

DCE has played like a 6 since day dot in first grade with Foran acting as a 5/8 on the left and would drift in the middle as a link man for the right.

Walker is doing the exact same thing and progressing nicely enough given he hasn't had a long consistent run in the halves due to Barrett taking the easy option and not being patient and now injury.

The main issue is with our go forward straightness, explosiveness and a lack of short passing to straight runners in the forwards(which i expected this year to see a progression to take us to another level)

The other issue is DCE is not as smart a player as made out, even worse he has an all round skillset but devoid of ideas how to best use his skills---it's a joke for a player on 1.3 million plus CPI increases.

I mean come on how many times do you have to run to the line in the redzone and basically only offer up an outside foot grubber when it is not on(unlike the Johns brothers who had a little science behind their grubbers) or the short side hitting the lead runner straight play.

And people here were bragging that DCE was better than Cronk all those years ago----seriously.

Stop with the devoid of ideas under plays back inside to Siro unless you are going to create variations to that play that keep the inside defence honest. Teams see the play a million miles away and rush out ready to smash Siro, how about taking advantage of this "predictability" and have Siro hit a straight runner behind the rush up inside defence ready for Siro.

Now people here are going to nag on me for mentioning "Melb" again but you can see they try and limit their under plays, they see that as a sign of bad habits creeping in that will take away from "straightness" at the advantage line----forwards pushing up in straight support is drilled into each player as a "non negotiable" has to be done or i am going to rip shreds off you in the video session the following day.

As Cronk mentioned a few weeks ago the true test to that set play from Jake to Tom earlier in the year is all about creating variations to that play as teams will read it soon enough.(i got the impression he was trying to imply "what differentiates "Me/Melb/Roosters" is that they keep developing and learning while others stagnate and replicate what worked once over and over.

DCE not having an attacking aerial kicking play in the redzone is pathetic after all these years for someone so talented----could be soooo much better and one of the greats of the game but has just been content to play behind second man plays and be a half arsed 5/8.

I do love DCE's effort plays and chasing his own kicks, you can't knock his efforts that is for sure, i just get so annoyed seeing such talent not flourish as it should.

DCE would do better in an old school Brisbane team lacking structure but playing off the cuff like in the 90's and leading a team similar to that around.

On another topic the above is probably why Brisbane lack success in the more "structured professional" years of footy the last 15-20yrs. Brisbane teams of the past loved quick play the balls and playing off the cuff with skilled players taking advantage of the speed of play but when it comes to the "Science" of the game and team culture it is lacking big time compared to NSW clubs and Melb.(conversely this is why Qlders play so well in Origin with a lack of structure combined with a proud culture representing Qld)

It just looks like some players feel they have "made it" by just wearing a Broncos jersey in their lifetime, hoping the 90's glory days will rub off on them. So much money and resources at the Broncos and yet they look the least professional game wise.(so boring to watch)

Recruitment wise they see the wrong things in players for the last 20yrs, anyone with half a brain can see Milford was never going to make a success of the halves with his limited skillset and smarts---that is just one example of many.

If i was Brisbane i would go all out for DCE again as the speed of play with the new rules on a fast Qld track will suit DCE big time, playing more off the cuff and you know deep down DCE wants the love of a big city behind him.(I'm sure "The Secret" will make his dream come true)
if the reply is too compressed to make sense of I apologize.
What if the reply is not compressed enough? ;)

If Foran can get through this year without anthor injury set back, Id go with Foran. He has that connection with Dez, has played with Chez, is a Manly junior, is a leader on the field and from what I have seen him playing this year would be still a great fit for Manly. Can still steer a side around would be great on the left hand side with Dylan, have Chez run the right hand side with Suli. Only 29.

The other two no way, Maloney hasn't played NRL for a season and is 35! Would be a liabilty in defence and would only play for one season. Green, nah, can't tackle and too old
Green & his manager Isaac Moses did the dirty on us when he had a year to run on his contract but became a dick not turning up to training so he could get out of his contract to go to Warriors so no fu(ken way he shud come back!

Hmmmm very interesting and close to the best left field call Iv'e heard mate - well played - I like it @:cool:
I wouldn't say its left field. The kid looks a star in the making. Best young playmaker to come through in a long time. Would be a perfect fit. I said in an earlier post we should swap him for Walker. Would be a perfect fit. Burton and Saab are on my wishlist. Lose Thommo and shop Walker

They rate him extremely highly, he’s a future star, but unless we get some fearful floggings or until we are out of contention or have more injuries you will not see Josh in the 6.
We all complain about someone taking the pressure off DCE in the strategic kicking department and being a game manager.I assume you haven’t seen Shuster play a lot Bear - as he won’t be fixing that issue, at least not early in his career.
He can kick but not in the style of a bloke who is running a team around the park like Cronk , Green , Pearce etc . I think you would see a fair bit of chaos laced with moments of brilliance if those two combined right now . Not sure that’s the right recipe.

Personally I have no issue with Walker as last years run showed and one of the biggest reasons is there are no halfbacks out there who are gettable and will be better.

You're right I havent seen a lot of Schuster play. Who has here?. But I've seen his highlights and several of his junior games and the kid is like a man playing with kids. Over the years there are few players I've seen who have what I called the Ella quality. First saw it with Mark Ella. He had so much time, never flustered, seemed to always know the best play. Cliff Had that quality. Andrew Johns to some extent. What I've seen of Schuster is that same Ella quality, where he's just a move or so ahead of the rest. I remember DCE playing Qld Cup and could see something of the dominance. Some players are just born to it, and I'm no expert, but what I've seen in the past 55 years of following the game says to me this kid is made for first grade, more than most others now playing.

You're right I havent seen a lot of Schuster play. Who has here?. But I've seen his highlights and several of his junior games and the kid is like a man playing with kids. Over the years there are few players I've seen who have what I called the Ella quality. First saw it with Mark Ella. He had so much time, never flustered, seemed to always know the best play. Cliff Had that quality. Andrew Johns to some extent. What I've seen of Schuster is that same Ella quality, where he's just a move or so ahead of the rest. I remember DCE playing Qld Cup and could see something of the dominance. Some players are just born to it, and I'm no expert, but what I've seen in the past 55 years of following the game says to me this kid is made for first grade, more than most others now playing.
Oh he is everything you say he is and destined for higher honours. Just don’t think he does anything to fix our halves/ game management issue over next two years.Brilliant but not that style of player..... yet.
Love to see him in the 14 rug.

Croker is a replacement.
Same as Elliot and Garrick are replacement fullbacks and in reality Levi is a replacement hooker.
As to 5/8, I'm not worried about Walker aside from the fact he's injured. He is a real talent and yes, is still not the finished product as a 5/8 but he is going OK.
As for DCE, it seems he is always judged on his salary. Which he often does not live up to, but just as often does. Some people seem to think because he is not Immortal quality we should ditch him. Apparently some lessons still to be learned about a Sea Eagle in the hand worth 2 in the bush!

Croker is a replacement.
Same as Elliot and Garrick are replacement fullbacks and in reality Levi is a replacement hooker.
As to 5/8, I'm not worried about Walker aside from the fact he's injured. He is a real talent and yes, is still not the finished product as a 5/8 but he is going OK.
As for DCE, it seems he is always judged on his salary. Which he often does not live up to, but just as often does. Some people seem to think because he is not Immortal quality we should ditch him. Apparently some lessons still to be learned about a Sea Eagle in the hand worth 2 in the bush!
Walker is going well. Least of our issues right now if he was fit.

Croker is a replacement.

As for DCE, it seems he is always judged on his salary. Which he often does not live up to, but just as often does.

So that means he should be on half the money, right? :rofl:

I feel sorry for DCE as he is forced to play a role he can't when we don't have a game-managing 7.

I wouldn't say its left field. The kid looks a star in the making. Best young playmaker to come through in a long time. Would be a perfect fit. I said in an earlier post we should swap him for Walker. Would be a perfect fit. Burton and Saab are on my wishlist. Lose Thommo and shop Walker
Left field as in haven't heard this thrown around much...all been Foran, Green, Marshall ect....refreshing call

Shop walker.. oh dear. We can bring in the kid and move walker to center... and shop Parker

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6