NSW selection

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

king2213

Reserve Grader
i think NSW got it wrong with Jake , Cameron Murray , and Angus Crichton, all in the same team considering we also had jack Wighton on the bench

Considering we lost Jack de Belin

If you are going to carry 2 props on the bench

I thought Tariq Sims is more suited to Origin over Angus Crichton for that position

The problem with carrying only 2 props on the bench

What happens if you lose one to Concussion or injury ?

I think we were a bit small and lacked mongrel

Last edited:
Yep, couldn't agree more. Especially considering we finished game 1 with Haas, Klemmer and Vaughan ALL on the bench at the same time. One more big bopper please...

Personally I think Jake is an 80mins player and doesn’t need to come off, so I’d be pushing him up to the front row to get Murray on, the role of lock and prop is very similar these days

The other problem is lack of troops, Saifiti is getting a push now because he got stuck into the Burgess boys, besides him it’s Lodge and it would make me sick to see him picked. Could go back to RCG I guess

i think NSW got it wrong with Jake , Cameron Murray , and Angus Crichton, all in the same team considering we also had jack Wighton on the bench

Considering we lost Jack de Belin

If you are going to carry 2 props on the bench

I thought Tariq Sims is more suited to Origin over Angus Crichton for that position

The problem with carrying only 2 props on the bench

What happens if you lose one to Concussion or injury ?

I think we were a bit small and lacked mongrel
Agreed, I don’t think Chricton’s form warranted selection regardless. We went away from picking form players which seemed to be last year’s policy.

Agreed, I don’t think Chricton’s form warranted selection regardless. We went away from picking form players which seemed to be last year’s policy.

Crichton is way out of his depth in representative football. I have no idea what he adds.

I have also never seen Boyd Cordner dominate at SOO level either. Maybe I just don't know my rugby league...

Hate to be negative ..... but for mine Tom looked well under done last weekend .... SOO is a cauldron ... unless there is a big improvement in his form and physical appearence ... I would be happy for him to miss game #2 .... look towards game #3 .....

I don’t see the need for Cam Murray as long as Jurbo is fit.
I do rate him BUT he reminds me of Josh Jackson- he doesn’t look bad or out of place there. He actually looks tough enough to handle the battle but so small and easy to rag doll. He doesn’t hurt players in the tackle and doesn’t bend the line.
As long as Jurbo is fit and playing, NSW don’t need Alan Tongue or Josh Jackson players to tidy things up.
At club level it’s usually necessary, not so much at this level.
Tyrone Peachey or Jack Wighton can play the roving forward/subbie role if anything happens to Jurbo.

As for a Klemmer replacement-
Matt Lodge, RCG and Jordan Maclean are the front runners.
I’d go with RCG

Turbo gets his spot back from Cotric

Maloney for Cleary or Walker.
I prefer Maloney as the 7 like last year, Cleary played 6 despite what his jersey said

Tariq Sims in for Angus Crichton

Payne Haas better get some agro and stop the love-festive with his Broncos mates playing for QLD.

Hoping to see something more like;

1. Tedesco
2. Turbo
3. Mitchell
4. Moz
5. JAC
6. Walker
7. Maloney
8. RCG
9. Cook
10. Vaughn
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. Jurbo

14. Wighton
15. Sims
16. Maclean/Lodge
17. Haas

Plan B:
I think J Moz deserves to keep his spot but if Freddy wants to give Cotric another run he could chuck Turbo in the centres with Mitchell.
However, Cotric will get another chance next year or in game 3 if injuries strike the backline

I don’t see the need for Cam Murray as long as Jurbo is fit

I agree with most of your selections, except I would reinstate the Cleary-Maloney combination; replace Wighton with Wade Graham (who could cover five eighth if necessary); toss up between Murray (excellent work rate + attacking weapon) & Sims (worker + tough). Regardless, I think Murray will be retained. Maclean is injured, so the most likely props are Vaughn, Lodge, Haas & RCG. Jurbo & Fritzell can both cover front row when necessary.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: R3
I would ideally have Manly up by 30 with 5 to go and take off DCE, Turbo and Jake with mystery injuries this week.
Solves SOO for me.

I agree with most of your selections, except I would reinstate the Cleary-Maloney combination; replace Wighton with Wade Graham (who could cover five eighth if necessary); toss up between Murray (excellent work rate + attacking weapon) & Sims (worker + tough). Regardless, I think Murray will be retained. Maclean is injured, so the most likely props are Vaughn, Lodge, Haas & RCG. Jurbo & Fritzell can both cover front row when necessary.

I’d still be VERY happy with your changes too. I never felt right about the team 1 selections but feel better with your game 2 changes and I’m sure the debutants will be better for the experience. Wade Graham looks fit and capable of slotting onto the bench for sure!

Edit: Was never implying that Murray won’t have a future role for the blues : )

Gee QLD luv this. It never ends NSW chopping and changing every five minutes. I honestly would have gone with Cleary and Maloney in one and generally stuck with the core of who won last year, except for injury forced changes. Fair go 5 debutants running out on Suncorp after a qld series loss. Quite possibly the dumbest approach by a SOO coach in a long time. The qld team won’t change and if they lose game 2 you can bet your bottom dollar they won’t change for game 3.

There was too many changes for game 1, and too many debutants for it too. Game 2 should resemble the winning group of last year as much as possible. With Klemmer and McLean unavailable, this numbnut would go with;

1. J. Tedesco
2. J. A-Carr
3. L. Mitchell
4. J. Roberts/J. Morris
5. T. Trbojevic
6. J. Maloney
7. N. Cleary
8. J. Trbojevic
9. D. Cook
10. P. Vaughan
11. B. Cordner
12. T. Frizell
13. W. Graham

14. T. Peachey
15. A. Crichton
16. T. Sims
17. R. C-Gillard

Last edited:
Frizell burst on to the origin scen but has been solid at best over the last 5 or 6 games. NSW are blessed with backrow options and we had little grunt or creativity out of the second row. Is frizell immune to the conversation of being replaced. he hasnt had too much gamebreaker about him for our tearaway.

He has been solid enough but is the backrow a spot they should improve on because they can

Some may not agree, however.....

Two back rowers and one front rower on the bench was never going to work. I know he fully deserved his starting spot, but with the side NSW had for Game 1, they probably would have been better off starting Murray at lock and playing Jake from the bench as a front rower. As it was they basically had to juggle back rowers playing prop and as a consequence, Qld out-muscled NSW up front, especially after first Vaughan and then Klemmer were subbed off and that they had Jake on the bench.....at the same time. Think about that, for around 25 minutes, NSW had 4 back rowers on the field plus a prop who had only played 10 games in the top grade. And it was during that time that Qld got on top.

And unless NSW have 2 front rowers on the bench for Perth, they are going to encounter the same problem.

The reality is that Angus Crichton should not have been selected, especially on form. On the bench instead should have been either McLean, Sims, Lodge or even Finucane.

For mine, if NSW are to have a chance of stopping another Qld series win, this is the team they need to name on Sunday night:

James Tedesco
Josh Addo-Carr
Latrell Mitchell
Josh Morris / James Roberts
Tom Trbojevic
James Maloney
Nathan Cleary
Reagan Campbell-Gillard
Damien Cook
Paul Vaughan
Boyd Cordner
Tyson Frizell
Jake Trbojevic

Cody Walker
Cameron Murray
Tariq Sims
Matt Lodge

• Cleary gets a reprieve because the other option is Mitchell "been there, failed that too many times" Pearce.
  • Campbell-Gillard should replace Klemmer at prop.
  • Sims should replace Crichton.
  • Lodge (in the absence of McLean) should replace Haas. I know Lodge isn't exactly Mr Popular for obvious reasons, but the way he's playing I think he would be good off the bench.

Players get 30 grand per origin game which is a tonne of cash. This is why players should be picked on form. Not just because they were there last year.

BREAKING: @knights duo Mitchell Pearce and Daniel Saifiti told tonight they will be named in the NSW Blues side for Origin ll in Perth. Full story: theherald.com.au

Daniel Saifiti..Surely some better options at prop than him.

BREAKING: @knights duo Mitchell Pearce and Daniel Saifiti told tonight they will be named in the NSW Blues side for Origin ll in Perth. Full story: theherald.com.au

Daniel Saifiti..Surely some better options at prop than him.
Tom may not be picked

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8