NRL's 17th Team - The (Redcliffe) dolphins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It’s gunna be hard to make a dolphin mascot scary.
Broncos, not scared of horses, Knights, not scared of the blokes riding horses, Titans, not scared of myths, Storm, stay in doors common sense, Cowboys, remember Brokeback Mountain, Eels, feed them to the cat, Rabbits and Roosters, Slow cooking is the secret.

lol lol true. Yes wont go into the issues but some really significant workplace coverups and questionable operational stuff. My background of being a local junior and Qld schoolboy only to see them buying players every year shutting the door essentially on good juniors didn't ever leave a good taste either. They were very very Manly back in the day. Forcing most juniors to play elsewhere. But yes that is a very minor part of my disdain compared my knowledge of the scandals that went on elsewhere in that club in the 90's/2000's. Many of those same people who helped with the covering up are still involved today. A very very incestuous club where the same power clique has been in charge for 40 years. If ever there was an old boys club... this is the ultimate old boys club. Everyone in a senior position is a mate and all generally ex players or related to ex players.

Sound like a right group of lads ... they will need to change their ways, because they will get no leeway with an NRL spotlight on them ... and every Bronco fan with a phone camera ...

lol lol true. Yes wont go into the issues but some really significant workplace coverups and questionable operational stuff. My background of being a local junior and Qld schoolboy only to see them buying players every year shutting the door essentially on good juniors didn't ever leave a good taste either. They were very very Manly back in the day. Forcing most juniors to play elsewhere. But yes that is a very minor part of my disdain compared my knowledge of the scandals that went on elsewhere in that club in the 90's/2000's. Many of those same people who helped with the covering up are still involved today. A very very incestuous club where the same power clique has been in charge for 40 years. If ever there was an old boys club... this is the ultimate old boys club. Everyone in a senior position is a mate and all generally ex players or related to ex players.
My boy played for Norths mate, the questionable operational stuff and sh1tting on Juniors was rife too.
They were all buttered with the same knife.

One of our players many, many years ago told me on the cups what he thought of the internal politics at Manly (and it wasn't pretty). Unfortunately, it's everywhere, and through every time - even the most successful of clubs (remember one club getting players to sign two different contracts?).

So the thing to look at is who is off contract in 2022 for us.

And that currently is

Manase Fainu, Kieran Foran, Moses Suli (pending official announcemen tof being gone sooner), Martin Taupau, Cade Cust, Andrew Davey, Tolutau Koula, Karl Lawton, Ben Trbojevic

I'd say we are sitting pretty well in relation to not being cherry picked by the new club.

Some players we'd want to keep but no game changers

Why does the Cowboys have bull horns as their logo?
The new Brisbane team should be called the Brisbane Bulls, and stealing the Cowboys logo in the process and forcing the Cowboys to change the logo to a dude wearing a cowboy hat with a lasso in the air riding a BRONCO. That'll start a 3 way rivalry.

NRL expansion: Dolphins to be new Brisbane team for 2023 season​

The NRL has a 17th team after the Dolphins beat bids from the Firehawks and Jets to become Brisbane’s second franchise.

The Dolphins will be Brisbane’s second team, with the Redcliffe-backed $70 million powerhouse staving off bids from the Firehawks and Jets to clinch the NRL’s 17th licence.

News Corp can reveal the Dolphins are the preferred candidate with the Australian Rugby League Commission to formally unveil the northern-corridor consortium as the winning bid this week as part of the NRL’s expanded 17-team league for 2023.

It is understood Wayne Bennett will be the Dolphins’ foundation coach, although the former Broncos mentor has not agreed terms with any prospective employer at this stage.

ARLC boss Peter V’landys declined to comment on the expansion process, but the Dolphins have been chosen as the standout bid.

Their victory will be formalised in the coming days pending the organisation meeting some key conditions requested by the ARLC.

The NRL’s Expansion Assessment Committee met last Friday and the seven-person panel spent 90 minutes analysing the merits of prospective franchises the Dolphins, Jets and Firehawks.

The Dolphins have had fresh, follow-up dialogue with the EAC - a clear sign they are the preferred bid to be recommended to the ARL Commission over the next 48 hours.

Only an 11th-hour disaster will prevent the Dolphins celebrating their coronation as Brisbane’s second team to rival the Broncos in one of the most significant projects for rugby league in its 113-year history.

The Dolphins will be the NRL’s first expansion team in 14 years following the introduction of the Titans in 2007.

Dolphins bid chief Terry Reader told News Corp last week the powerful bid is armed with a strategic plan that will see them hit the ground running if they are formally given the green light by the ARLC.

“The Dolphins persist in taking nothing for granted,” Reader said.

“We will continue to work in the background to be ready to enter the NRL competition as early as 2023 if our bid is successful.

“The Dolphins believe we are in a strong position to be awarded the new NRL licence. The Dolphins have the strongest financial backing of any bid. We also have the government support, infrastructure, elite-pathways plan, new fan base and an integrated strategy to grow the game in not only south-east Queensland but into central Queensland.

“The Dolphins have a detailed 100-day plan ready to initiate as soon as we are awarded an NRL licence to ensure we can be highly competitive from what could be our very first season in 2023.

“The Dolphins are NRL ready and can start tomorrow.”

It is a wonderful triumph for the Dolphins, who were founded in 1947 - the same year as Sydney-based clubs Parramatta and Manly - and boast infrastructure that will make the second Brisbane outfit one of the richest operations in the NRL.

The Dolphins boast assets of $70 millions and have more than $20m in cash reserves across their business empire which includes Redcliffe Leagues Club, a shopping centre and a gymnasium-and-aquatic facility.

The decision will come as a crushing blow for the Firehawks and Jets, both of whom had submitted strong proposals that included servicing rugby league in Brisbane’s booming western-corridor region.

Instead, the ARLC has opted for a northern option to promote the code in the Redcliffe, Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast regions.

The Redcliffe-based Dolphins are also 40km from Brisbane’s CBD, satisfying the ARLC the Broncos and Gold Coast Titans will not be cannibalised by a 17th team as part of the code’s beefed-up $100 million broadcasting deal with Pay TV partners Foxtel.

They are exploring a number of names including Sunshine State Dolphins and North Brisbane Dolphins and will seek public input before finalising an official brand.

“Redcliffe is not intended to be in the Dolphins NRL team’s name,” Reader said.

“Redcliffe will be the Dolphins’ NRL team base and present what the Red Hill base is to the Broncos.

“The Dolphins aim to consult with the community, fans and the NRL on a final name that may include a geographical reference suitable for Brisbane’s second NRL team.

“Analysis also demonstrates that The Dolphins will also have the least material impact on the current fanbase and operations of the Brisbane Broncos and the Gold Coast Titans.

“We are confident that our pitch provides the necessary peace of mind, stability and confidence for the NRL to expand the game with the Dolphins.”

I would have thought the smarter option would be to shore up support around Ipswich and western Brisbane in general. There are apparently more league juniors out that way, whilst at the same time meeting the AFL threat. The latter are building a new training centre in the vicinity of Ipswich.

Roy Masters wrote about this the other day.

I would have thought the smarter option would be to shore up support around Ipswich and western Brisbane in general. There are apparently more league juniors out that way, whilst at the same time meeting the AFL threat. The latter are building a new training centre in the vicinity of Ipswich.

Roy Masters wrote about this the other day.
I wonder if we’ll in fact get another Brisbane side within a few years.

In reality it’s a massive market up here previously dominated by one side.

I think the Ippy Jets would go well , it’s a league nursery out that way.

I wonder if we’ll in fact get another Brisbane side within a few years.

In reality it’s a massive market up here previously dominated by one side.

I think the Ippy Jets would go well , it’s a league nursery out that way.
I think Brisbane could handle a third team, once they get over the shock of a second team. Ipswich is a great league nursery that the NRL ignore at their peril.

Having Redcliffe might to some extent salve a desire for a Sunshine Coast presence, which I understand will lie within the Dolphins’ catchment. However they still need a team in western Brisbane, which could also appeal to people on the Darling Downs.

Last edited:
I think Brisbane could handle a third team, once they get over the shock of a second team. Ipswich is a great league nursery that the NRL ignore at their peril.

Having Redcliffe might to some extent salve a desire for a Sunshine Coast presence, which I understand will lie within the Dolphins’ catchment. However they still need a team in western Brisbane, which also appeal to people on the Darling Downs.
Problem Redcliffe face is the NRL and broadcasters needs for them to play out of Suncorp.Obviously the not so popular teams will most likely play them at Moreton Daily Stadium but majority will be at Suncorp,40km away from their home base and their major fan catchment.Whilst the public transport is very good to Suncorp,it still takes around a hour to get there from the Moreton Bay region

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8