NRL's 17th Team - The (Redcliffe) dolphins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nicholls now officially confirmed.

1.Jamayne Isaako
5.Valynce Te Whare
6.Micheal Roberts (Dev)
8.Jesse Bromwich
9.Harrison Graham (Dev)
10.Mark Nicholls
12.Feluse Kaufusi
13.Ray Stone

Last time Bennet had more to do with building a squad than just bringing a few cherries to put on top of a well made cake was Newcastle. That didn't end well. I think he is a fantastic man manager but his squad building skills are yet to be proven. Souths and Dragons were already good and when he coached the dominant Broncos side they had their pick of all of QLD.

Last time Bennet had more to do with building a squad than just bringing a few cherries to put on top of a well made cake was Newcastle. That didn't end well. I think he is a fantastic man manager but his squad building skills are yet to be proven. Souths and Dragons were already good and when he coached the dominant Broncos side they had their pick of all of QLD.

Just been lucky you reckon

Just been lucky you reckon
No he is very good (maybe the best) at getting the most from good players. The only time he has had to assemble a squad under adversity he didn't go so well. I agree with your 3 year assessment, if the Dolphins play the long game and build from within. However clubs can be fickle and if Wayne gets pressure to succeed instantly he will probably walk as he has nothing left to prove.

I expect come Nov1 they will snap up a big name or two for 2024 then agitate for releases

No he is very good (maybe the best) at getting the most from good players. The only time he has had to assemble a squad under adversity he didn't go so well. I agree with your 3 year assessment, if the Dolphins play the long game and build from within. However clubs can be fickle and if Wayne gets pressure to succeed instantly he will probably walk as he has nothing left to prove.
Blokes like Bennett don't walk .. they would rather die with their boots on.. and I wouldn't read too much into his Newcastle stint... 10 of the best coaches ever did the dance of the dying duck at cronulla..

Blokes like Bennett don't walk .. they would rather die with their boots on.. and I wouldn't read too much into his Newcastle stint... 10 of the best coaches ever did the dance of the dying duck at cronulla..
He signed Mason, Cuthbertson, Gower, Tahu, Buderus(all well past their best), Jeremy Smith, Clint Newton and Beau Scott. It didn't look like a guy who was making patient balanced signings.

He signed Mason, Cuthbertson, Gower, Tahu, Buderus(all well past their best), Jeremy Smith, Clint Newton and Beau Scott. It didn't look like a guy who was making patient balanced signings.
Bennett's first year with Knights didn't get far. But in his 2nd year, with some of those older tough nuts he signed like Smith and Scott, they got within one win of the grand final, which was way further than they'd been in years. The next year Alex McKinnon got hurt in Round 3 and the club was understandably rocked, and didn't recover. I doubt Bellamy or Robinson (or Jack Gibson, Alex Ferguson, Vince Lombardi, whoever) could have done much better that particular year.

Thankfully the management at the Dolphins is completely hopeless and they will manage to stuff everything up. Bennett is a great coach but not sure on his recruitment skills - but then again he has Peter O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan is great at identifying young talent so the Dolphins might be 5 to 8 years away from something very decent. But it will come down to their management and lack of it at the top.

Also remember that every team has at least 2/3 players on million dollar contracts .. Bennett still has his marquee players to sign up his sleeve... he may still get someone like DCE with us or another club paying a part of the price

Also remember that every team has at least 2/3 players on million dollar contracts .. Bennett still has his marquee players to sign up his sleeve... he may still get someone like DCE with us or another club paying a part of the price
That sucks as a fan, a club subsidising a departed player at another club. Take Matt Lodge for example, who joined the Warriors from the Broncs, think Broncs had to cough up 200k !! as their part of the deal.

That sucks as a fan, a club subsidising a departed player at another club. Take Matt Lodge for example, who joined the Warriors from the Broncs, think Broncs had to cough up 200k !! as their part of the deal.
Comes down to the club involved being responsible... the Drongos obviously wanted to sign Lodge initially and so they sign him for x seasons at $y and then when he is no longer wanted... for whatever reason and before the contract period is up... then they are required to pay lodge his entire contract fee unless he was terminated for bringing the game into disrepute or something sinister. So given they are on the hook for the whole rest of the fee... the easy way out is to offload to a club willing to have him and cop some sort of reduction while still paying Lodge going forward. Given the Warriors knew that the Broncs wanted him out they could afford to offer to pat part of the contract fee and have the Drongos pay the rest. Very rarely these days will a player change clubs prior to contract expiring without a similar situation UNLESS club B wants Club A's player bad then they are more than likely to pay full fee. It is damn galling for the Broncos fans to be paying a part of Lodge's contract when he is not at the club. This is where it is essential to get your roster/recruitment spot on and you get the right type of people/players long term. It is really like ducking for apples in water - everything is all about chance and even the best most promising players with the right attitude can turn out to be nufties. Identifying talent and the right fit for your club is 75% science/research/stats/background checking and 25% pure luck I guess.

Comes down to the club involved being responsible... the Drongos obviously wanted to sign Lodge initially and so they sign him for x seasons at $y and then when he is no longer wanted... for whatever reason and before the contract period is up... then they are required to pay lodge his entire contract fee unless he was terminated for bringing the game into disrepute or something sinister. So given they are on the hook for the whole rest of the fee... the easy way out is to offload to a club willing to have him and cop some sort of reduction while still paying Lodge going forward. Given the Warriors knew that the Broncs wanted him out they could afford to offer to pat part of the contract fee and have the Drongos pay the rest. Very rarely these days will a player change clubs prior to contract expiring without a similar situation UNLESS club B wants Club A's player bad then they are more than likely to pay full fee. It is damn galling for the Broncos fans to be paying a part of Lodge's contract when he is not at the club. This is where it is essential to get your roster/recruitment spot on and you get the right type of people/players long term. It is really like ducking for apples in water - everything is all about chance and even the best most promising players with the right attitude can turn out to be nufties. Identifying talent and the right fit for your club is 75% science/research/stats/background checking and 25% pure luck I guess.
Glad this didn't happen with Marty, even though a lot of our fans wanted to offload him, imagine the thought of paying another club for Marty to play against us while we chip in the rest. no thanks !!.

Glad this didn't happen with Marty, even though a lot of our fans wanted to offload him, imagine the thought of paying another club for Marty to play against us while we chip in the rest. no thanks !!.
yes agreed and despite many saying he doesn't carry his weight - I totally disagree - think he was great last year and if you ask the players - they love playing with him - that is obvious.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4