NRL: Restarting May 28th. Grand Final Oct 25th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks to the financial mismanagement of the past few years, the NRL really have backed themselves into a corner. The only reason they are pushing ahead to re-start the comp by 28 May is simply because they are absolutely desperate for the television revenue. They basically have no choice, they either get the competition running again ASAP in 2020 or they go broke.

Unlike the AFL which was smart enough to acquire a major asset with their television money which they have been able to use to get a $500m loan that will go a long way to keeping them afloat even without games being played, the NRL have next to nothing to show for their latest billion dollar TV deal.

And now as its come out today, even 28 May is likely to be pushed back after the television broadcasters (i.e. Nine) weighed in on plans. And the NRL have to play along simply because they have no choice. Because no spectators can actually go to the games right now, without games on television they don't have a sustainable revenue stream.

Thanks to the financial mismanagement of the past few years, the NRL really have backed themselves into a corner. The only reason they are pushing ahead to re-start the comp by 28 May is simply because they are absolutely desperate for the television revenue. They basically have no choice, they either get the competition running again ASAP in 2020 or they go broke.

Unlike the AFL which was smart enough to acquire a major asset with their television money which they have been able to use to get a $500m loan that will go a long way to keeping them afloat even without games being played, the NRL have next to nothing to show for their latest billion dollar TV deal.

And now as its come out today, even 28 May is likely to be pushed back after the television broadcasters (i.e. Nine) weighed in on plans. And the NRL have to play along simply because they have no choice. Because no spectators can actually go to the games right now, without games on television they don't have a sustainable revenue stream.

Happy birthday for yesterday (today here) if the date is accurate! :)

Thanks mate. And unfortunately its correct lol

Enjoy it! Because you'll never bounce like you're 20 again!

Speaking of your above post, I can't find it now but a read an article something like:

Why cable broadcasters don't mind not having games.

Basically "Money keeps coming in from subscribers and much less costs not having to cover games."

Z'Landy's had secured a $230 mil line of credit a week ago ... they will survive to next year nicely ... but of course he is desperate to restart ... 1000's of people are sitting at home without an income ... and 10,000's are sitting at home bored stupid .... and he is the man charged with running Rugby League and can make a difference ...

Yesterday there were 4 new cases Austarlia wide ..... not to have planned a restart would have been gross delinquincy .....

And take anything nine say with a grain of salt .... they are negotiating with millions a week at stake .....

Just reading over some recent posts and you've got me a bit perplexed here. Not sure why you're having a go at @Ranger, who seems only to have added some fact-based discussion from the posts I saw.
Read a bit better then mate. It is clearly about his not understanding, or ignoring, the difference between the transmission danger of 3rd world labourers coming and going to/from Singapore and the proposed stringent restart of the NRL.

As for your pot...kettle, I have no agenda but facts and sense in all discussions here, period.
Done.

Last edited:
I have just run some preliminary fiqures ... please feel free to correct my Maths ...

Let's see ... the probability of someone who has tested negative for the virus, and having his temp taken 3 times a day ... in isolation and training with 29 other men who are in isolation and have tested negative and also having their temp taken 3 times a day ... then playing against 17 other men who are in isolation and have tested negative and also having their temp taken 3 times a day ..... is ... zero ..

And as far as the what if's ... I am certain given the time taken in planning .. and the number of pandemic and transmission experts involved ... they have game played what if's we have never heard of or imagined ....

I have just run some preliminary fiqures ... please feel free to correct my Maths ...

Let's see ... the probability of someone who has tested negative for the virus, and having his temp taken 3 times a day ... in isolation and training with 29 other men who are in isolation and have tested negative and also having their temp taken 3 times a day ... then playing against 17 other men who are in isolation and have tested negative and also having their temp taken 3 times a day ..... is ... zero ..

Agreed Woodsie but we need to add all the other extraneous people the players WILL come into contact with, even under the measures you mention, such as:
trainers
medical staff
food supply people
cleaning and maintenance staff
etc
etc.
If they are being subject to the same isolation and testing then the numbers seem good.

Are the NSW based players going to be in isolation or only the interstate and Worriers teams? I don't recall seeing that.
If the NSW based teams are not in "lockdown" then that brings in a plethora of other people who will not be subject to the same quarantined environment.

I believe the risk level of a restart under the proposed strategy has a very low danger of infection but it is certainly not 100% solid.. nothing could be..

Im sure its been said already but anyway..
Lets be realistic here - this country was never in a full lockdown, so its not as if the NRL is taking these players out of the safety of their homes and exposing them to a high risk environment. I can guarantee you most/all of these players still get out and about - to the supermarket, for takeaway, to the park etc (as much of the community is) and are at greater risk of anything by doing this. Just bumped into Wade Graham at my local chicken shop yesterday, waiting in line alongside me and many others..
Put the measures in place and get the damn game started..

Looks like 9 is back on board!
1587715452465.png

FMD 17 rounds, would of be smart to have 15 rounds and play each other once.
Whats the bet the Storm, Roosters, Broncos & Parra will get to play those extra games against the weaker teams.

Im sure its been said already but anyway..
Lets be realistic here - this country was never in a full lockdown, so its not as if the NRL is taking these players out of the safety of their homes and exposing them to a high risk environment. I can guarantee you most/all of these players still get out and about - to the supermarket, for takeaway, to the park etc (as much of the community is) and are at greater risk of anything by doing this. Just bumped into Wade Graham at my local chicken shop yesterday, waiting in line alongside me and many others..
Put the measures in place and get the damn game started..
Then again, something mght happen to any player like happened to me today when a homeless guy launched himself at me, shouting ""I've got the virus!" and coughed at me from six inches away. Police checked the positive database and he's not on it, but if he had been ...
I really, really want footy back, but as many say, it's a knife edge between a flattened curve and a rising one. Fingers crossed.

To be honest the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. I went to my mother in laws funeral last week (nice lady, got on well with her) and we were only allowed ten at the service. Inside the funeral home I had to stand 1.5 metres away from my own wife. Apparently police checks had been done previously. However in a month's time 17 teams of 17 men are going to be jumping on top of each other, sweating like pigs for 80 minutes. Just hard to see how you go from one extreme to the other so quick.

I think the difference will be , at the funeral were any of the attendee’s tested for Covid-19 before attending ??

Look I know the answer would be no and I wasn’t trying to be smart but I reckon they’ll be testing the players before every game so once they know they aren’t affected regardless of how much sweat is exchanged they are safe.

I think the difference will be , at the funeral were any of the attendee’s tested for Covid-19 before attending ??

Look I know the answer would be no and I wasn’t trying to be smart but I reckon they’ll be testing the players before every game so once they know they aren’t affected regardless of how much sweat is exchanged they are safe.
All good, and thanks to others for kind thoughts. No-one wants the footy back on more than me (although my kids don't miss my mood swings on weekends), its just when you look at these countries when it all flares up again, you think it has got to be a softly, softly approach. Also wonder how big squads will need to be, because won't injured players who need to go for scans etc and exit the bubble then need to be quarantined ? All too hard !

I'm ok with 17 rounds if the top 8 play eachother and bottom 8 play eachother after 15 rounds. The middle 8 after 17 rounds play eachother if there is 18 rounds.

Does anyone know of Corey Waddell will be fit? I feel we need him and/JetSki just for some mongrel off the bench to get under the opposition

I just can’t help but feel we will be playing the Roosters and the Storm again - ie play every other team once from this point on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8