NRL Manly Sea Eagles 2017 Preview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Good summation @KeithSheldon , and to be honest that's pretty much exactly what I think to!!

I hope I'm wrong, I hope we do better but I think pulling an almost brand new team together is going to be hard yakka for Twenty.

Early season will be really tough , but injuries aside we will improve as the year goes on.

I'm suggesting 12th, but agree could be anywhere up to about 7th if things fall into place quickly.

Hmmm. I don't think so. I'd have Hastings ahead of Cullen and I'd find a spot for Parker on the wing ahead of Uate.
I think that five players, cullen, hastings, parker, uate and kelly are interchangeable amongst eachover. However the journos are throwing in all things wtf, so I was suggesting that this was rather accurate comparing to the usuals at the moment. For me id go with cullen bench, kelly starting centre, uate starting winger with parker reserves but will get many chances throughout the year to make a statement and possibly find a spot in the side if uate, kelly or taufua don't play well enough. Hastings could be something special so 50/50 with him and cullen, don't mind which one gets the spot on the bench for rd 1.

Also would like to see Winterstein at some point during the season, some good depth

And Lussick is out and Winterstein will be in but apart from the 5 errors it is spot on.
Oh yes, Lussicks out, a bad loss indeed. However to his credit he did list it as our full strength team

A predicted Manly side that doesn't have Lewis Brown starting in the back row or at worst on the bench and actually has Myles on the bench.

I like it.

The main change I would have is Hastings in for Cullen at this stage. As for us finishing 11th, time will tell but I do think we can make the top 8.

Also glad to see a write up that doesn't say we're going to be so much worse off by no longer having Killer, Snake and Skivy.

Where we need to improve this year to be a genuine threat, is at 9 and 7.

DCE was ineffective for large parts of last season for various reasons, but he needs to lift this year if we are to be any chance. He has a fully functioning 5/8 to help share the load this season so it's time to deliver some consistent performances.

Hooker wasn't great last year - Parcell was a bit of a let down and Api just doesn't do it for me despite his enthusiasm. I am kind of hoping we'll unearth something good in Hastings, but it remains to be seen if he gets a shot.

I think if everything comes together and we have some luck with injuries we'll be fighting for a spot in the 8

Chip an chase liked ur posts for ages ,i agree Daly is crucial to our success as he is the conductor to our orchestra :)also i think for us to succeed further up the ladder we need him to take the line on more,but finally i think our recruitment is key and looks to have improved ,time will tell :)

A predicted Manly side that doesn't have Lewis Brown starting in the back row or at worst on the bench and actually has Myles on the bench.

I like it.

The main change I would have is Hastings in for Cullen at this stage. As for us finishing 11th, time will tell but I do think we can make the top 8.

Also glad to see a write up that doesn't say we're going to be so much worse off by no longer having Killer, Snake and Skivy.
I even saw one that had Lewis Brown starting in the centres! I mean I could commentate the bloody golf and still do a better job than that

Hey if our season goes to **** worst case scenario, get a liquor sponsor like BUNDABERG RUM on board to go with LOTTOLAND,everymans dream an i bet we will all drown our sorrows lol@:D

Last edited:
Where we need to improve this year to be a genuine threat, is at 9 and 7.

DCE was ineffective for large parts of last season for various reasons, but he needs to lift this year if we are to be any chance. He has a fully functioning 5/8 to help share the load this season so it's time to deliver some consistent performances.

Hooker wasn't great last year - Parcell was a bit of a let down and Api just doesn't do it for me despite his enthusiasm. I am kind of hoping we'll unearth something good in Hastings, but it remains to be seen if he gets a shot.

I think if everything comes together and we have some luck with injuries we'll be fighting for a spot in the 8
Key to a premiership is with your spine being 100% last year we were at 0% and we can't go at 50% this year either, it's not good enough. Need all Pistons firing.

Im not convinced with our choices at 9,young lussick will be good in year or so,api is good but not great,hastings untried but bonus is his ability to read a game being an ex halve, robbie farrah would have been a master stroke .Couldn't have turned us from 8th placed ? to 5th or 6th

But also i understand with the uncertainty of the matai an stewart salary cap uncertainty we couldn't make a play for him.:(

That is a pretty well written preview, @KeithSheldon......well done.

I agree with about 90% of it, however think you may be a little bit more optimistic than me having us finishing about 11th. I am hard pressed to see us finishing higher than 14th but time will tell. (I truly hope I am very wrong though and we actually smash it and make the finals, but just cant see it happening.)

Those 'risky buys' are just too risky for my liking and not having Killer around is going to be a massive loss....!

Hard to predict a top 17.
I think Barrett is a " horses for courses" type of coach which gives versatiity on the bench.....hopefully!
Taupau, Lussick - prop, 2nd row, lock
BJ - prop, 2nd row
Jake & Nate - prop, lock
It lets these guys play bigger minutes if needed with guys like Hastings, Brown, Cullen etc covering a few spots from the bench
AFB & Perrett are straight out bench props
Enables us to have two props, back rower and utility on the bench.
Sirro, Lane & Kennedy are all different styles of 2nd row/ lock depending on what game plan is v who we're playing.

Let's hope they're all up to it.

Good summation @KeithSheldon , and to be honest that's pretty much exactly what I think to!!

I hope I'm wrong, I hope we do better but I think pulling an almost brand new team together is going to be hard yakka for Twenty.

Early season will be really tough , but injuries aside we will improve as the year goes on.

I'm suggesting 12th, but agree could be anywhere up to about 7th if things fall into place quickly.
The big thing that seems to be missed in all of this is the Salary Cap situation. We are either potentially over the cap by $1 million-ish or under the cap by the same amount. If Snake & Skivvy aren't exempt from the 2017 cap then we will be playing the entire season with $1 million less talent than everyone else. If they are currently excluded from our cap and don't get the exemption we may be suddenly shedding $1 million in players and ultimately still playing the season with $1 million less in talent. Given the NRL appear certain to reject their exemption and will count them in the cap, we will most certainly be playing with around $1 million less than everyone else.

The bottom line is we simply won't compete in that circumstance.

Last edited:
The big thing that seems to be missed in all of this is the Salary Cap situation. We are either potentially over the cap by $1 million-ish or under the cap by the same amount. If Snake & Skivvy aren't exempt from the 2017 cap then we will be playing the entire season with $1 million less talent than everyone else. If they are currently excluded from our cap and don't get the exemption we may be suddenly shedding $1 million in players and ultimately still playing the season with $1 million less in talent. Given the NRL appear certain to reject their exemption and will count them in the cap, we will most certainly be playing with around $1 million less than everyone else.

The bottom line is we simply won't compete in that circumstance.

Fair point, my summation is that we are at the cap.

Jamie's dollars would have gone to Green's purchase, the rest from the shuffling of the deck chairs.

It's probably the reason we missed out on several players we were supposedly interested in during Oct/Nov.

Makes it very very unfair if the rest of the comp is operating on 1.4 million more than we have to spend on players who can actually pull on a boot!!

Hi guys what annoys me is that we should all be playing this great game on a level playing field. We all know that since this game was born its never been the case.Now what pisses me off for example is we could be paying for players that due to injury will never play again ,but as mentioned our cap is effected.But other teams will cheat an lie within cap restrictions an get a slap on the asse ,a grope or a dry root an by seasons start nothing said lol had my rant.And qouted the 12th man :rofl:

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8