Norths want a relegation system

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The idea or a relegation system isn't that bad and would increase the number of players in the game I suspect. But because the Bears operation suggested it, I'm totally against it. I was sympathetic to the Bears plight for a long time and supported their efforts to get back. But their constant lambasting, blaming and demeaning of the Sea Eagles turned me right off them. I couldn't give a farthing of interest in anything the Bears group suggest now, or until they get off their vitriolic bandwagon. They burnt their bridges in my opinion, and that was around The Spit.

Relegation would kill some clubs (maybe that's the whole point.....).

Especially the Sydney based clubs, if some, including Manly, struggle to get decent crowds and members now, what do they think would happen if their teams were only playing in the 2nd tier competition?

This is exactly the reason why this season is the last that the ESL will use relegation, because they have finally realised that a lot of clubs simply can't survive financially if they aren't playing in the top flight competition.

Good trick, but don't they realize opening this door for them could also let the AFL in.

giphy.gif

The ESL is scrapping the Super 8s, not promo relegation. They're moving back to a straight up and down system.

Closed league systems reward mediocrity and remove a lot of excitement from the bottom of the ladder. The A-league will have to bring in promo/rele in coming years not least due to pressure from FIFA and the AFC. This will prove that it can work.

A Sydney conference and a blow ins conference yes I like that idea.
But this is absurd.
Where will the players come from that are quality first graders?
It'd be like Ryde Eastwood in the amco cup.

They don’t give up do they. They’re like that one annoying fly in the room.

Plus a relegation system wouldn’t work in Australia. There’s not enough corporate dollars to go around.

You wonder if that would dilute the talent pool as well, at least in the short term. NRL competes with Rugby and AFL (to a degree) for talent.

Between 16 teams, each team carries career 2nd graders (injury, salary cap, etc..), 8 more teams equals 240 more players that need to be found.

A Sydney conference and a blow ins conference yes I like that idea.
But this is absurd.
Where will the players come from that are quality first graders?
It'd be like Ryde Eastwood in the amco cup.

Yeap. A 20+ team comp wont work unless you play everyone once (and even then its unfair who you play when in the season or away/home). Then you have heaps of teams missing finals.

There is a good chance if the NRL wants to expand, it will need to look at a conference system (I imagine like the NFL).

You have a NSW RL and QLD RL run conference.

Something like (if 24 teams).
  1. NSWRL - Manly, Chooks, Souffs, Riff, Eels, Tigpies, Dragoons, Gummies, Knights, Raiders, Dogs, Norths
  2. QLDRL - Donkeys, Titans, Cows, Storm, Warriors, Fiji, PNG, Ipswich, 2nd Brisbane, Perth, CCM, Adelaide (just picking team examples).
I do have concerns putting all the fly ins in the QLD RL comp as it might boost the QRL talent pool (cause you know, everywhere is in QLD), or give teams like Brisbane a big advantage.

The alternative is have 3 conferences of 8 teams, that alternate every year, and the top 4 play in a play offs comp.

So a conference that has:
  1. 2 QLD RL teams
  2. 4 NSWRL teams
  3. 2 Others
An example year could look like:

Conf 1: Manly, Chooks, Souffs, Riff, Brisbane, Ipswich, Fiji, Warriors
Conf 2: Eels, Tigpies, Dragoons, Gummies, 2nd Brisbane, Cows, PNG, Perth
Conf 3: Knights, Raiders, Dogs, Norths, Titans, South QLD, Adelaide, Storm

Anyway just thoughts.

In theory a promotion/relegation system sounds brilliant. And in say the English Premier League, it is. Teams from say Division 2 (strangely the 4th division of English Soccer), can over a number of years be promoted to the EPL.........just isn't going to work in Australia with Rugby League.

We don't have enough quality players, you would also need the teams to have quality grounds.

What happens (and this would be excellent) if the Storm, Broncs get relegated? We lose more ground in those areas?

Norths......not going to happen no matter how much jumping up and down you do!

Yeap. A 20+ team comp wont work unless you play everyone once (and even then its unfair who you play when in the season or away/home). Then you have heaps of teams missing finals.

There is a good chance if the NRL wants to expand, it will need to look at a conference system (I imagine like the NFL).

You have a NSW RL and QLD RL run conference.

Something like (if 24 teams).
  1. NSWRL - Manly, Chooks, Souffs, Riff, Eels, Tigpies, Dragoons, Gummies, Knights, Raiders, Dogs, Norths
  2. QLDRL - Donkeys, Titans, Cows, Storm, Warriors, Fiji, PNG, Ipswich, 2nd Brisbane, Perth, CCM, Adelaide (just picking team examples).
I do have concerns putting all the fly ins in the QLD RL comp as it might boost the QRL talent pool (cause you know, everywhere is in QLD), or give teams like Brisbane a big advantage.

The alternative is have 3 conferences of 8 teams, that alternate every year, and the top 4 play in a play offs comp.

So a conference that has:
  1. 2 QLD RL teams
  2. 4 NSWRL teams
  3. 2 Others
An example year could look like:

Conf 1: Manly, Chooks, Souffs, Riff, Brisbane, Ipswich, Fiji, Warriors
Conf 2: Eels, Tigpies, Dragoons, Gummies, 2nd Brisbane, Cows, PNG, Perth
Conf 3: Knights, Raiders, Dogs, Norths, Titans, South QLD, Adelaide, Storm

Anyway just thoughts.
I'm not sure either model would work for the NRL. In terms of dilution of both the talent and funding pools a conference based structure would be worse than P&R system, remember; the US has more than 10x the population to produce players and invest money.
I can't see the NRL doing too much in the next few years, but I am very concerned that mergers and relocations are still the most likely option for expansion.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4