Norths want a relegation system

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Welcome to the grumpy old bastards club ...... :rofl:

20 teams = 10 games per week x 18 weeks is 180 games per season
16 teams = 8 games per week x 25 weeks is 200 games per season ..

The difference in 20 games and the revenue would easily be off-set and even increased by a more national TV audience and the preseason and 9's comps and we saw the success of the Tongan game .... If done properly these add ons would add spark and interest to a whole range of different viewers .... Fainu will become a household name from Port Moresby to Suva ......
And on what days do you propose to play these two extra games on?, Thursday night is already a disaster as is the 6pm Friday game, Monday night is out of the question as it's too close to Thursday, the only possibility really is another game on a Sunday at 7pm, and the way TV is now , the fans demand that all games are live now, so therefore no two games at the same time like they did in years gone by.

Interesting ..... my thoughts are a good 2 conference split of teams could work without too much drama ... sometimes we do over complicate the simple ....

My reptilean memory seems to recall that @globaleagle worked for (or did) the company that worked out the scheduling for the finals for the top 6/8 when they were introduced .... he may have an idea about the 2 conference thing ....

You....lost me at 'work'!

Nope, wasn't me. I did rave on how the nhl can schedule 30 teams playing 82 games each a year plus finals without too many problems; maybe that was it?

And on what days do you propose to play these two extra games on?, Thursday night is already a disaster as is the 6pm Friday game, Monday night is out of the question as it's too close to Thursday, the only possibility really is another game on a Sunday at 7pm, and the way TV is now , the fans demand that all games are live now, so therefore no two games at the same time like they did in years gone by.

Weekend afternoon games.

Perfectly feasible if there is a west coast team/game with a -3 hour time difference, as well as a +2 hour difference to NZ. That's a time difference span of 5 hours.

So for an East coast audience you could potentially have 5 Saturday games back-to-back from 1pm (ie. NZ afternoon) until between 11pm-midnight (this is when Perth BBL games finish).

The other option is to play several games at the same time. Playing only 1 team per timeslot is only a fairly recent occurence.

Just my $0.02

If relegation was part of the league, we would have seen norths demoted in 1948, and they would still be in second division.

Be careful what you wish for.

Weekend afternoon games.

Perfectly feasible if there is a west coast team/game with a -3 hour time difference, as well as a +2 hour difference to NZ. That's a time difference span of 5 hours.

So for an East coast audience you could potentially have 5 Saturday games back-to-back from 1pm (ie. NZ afternoon) until between 11pm-midnight (this is when Perth BBL games finish).

The other option is to play several games at the same time. Playing only 1 team per timeslot is only a fairly recent occurence.

Just my $0.02
TV wants all games live now , so playing two at the same time won't work,
A second NZ team may work, but with two extra games you will probably over saturate the market.

You....lost me at 'work'!

Nope, wasn't me. I did rave on how the nhl can schedule 30 teams playing 82 games each a year plus finals without too many problems; maybe that was it?
@Woodsie i made a joke a couple of times about @globaleagle working there.

The reasoning was he is in Canada and the company the nrl used one time was in Canada too. Therefore global must work there!

(His real job as we all know is as theatre critic for the Globe and Mail, hence his name @globaleagle )

Welcome to the grumpy old bastards club ...... :rofl:

20 teams = 10 games per week x 18 weeks is 180 games per season
16 teams = 8 games per week x 25 weeks is 200 games per season ..

The difference in 20 games and the revenue would easily be off-set and even increased by a more national TV audience and the preseason and 9's comps and we saw the success of the Tongan game .... If done properly these add ons would add spark and interest to a whole range of different viewers .... Fainu will become a household name from Port Moresby to Suva ......
The appetite for rugby league is changing.
Whether some traditionalists, and in most things I'm one of them, like it or not, the rugby league fan is a changing.
Ratings for the game are down, although turd puts up rubbery figures to say otherwise. Same as crowds.
The expanding Polynesian population is going to demand more game time for their countries. Tonga, Samoa PNG all are wanting more and more and won't want to wait till the world Cup.
It's also a golden opportunity for two things.
One. To wrest those countries from rugby union.
Not PNG obviously.
And to give Aussie kids increased opportunity to do something afl cannot give them.
To wear the green and gold.
The conference model you suggest, to me, would inject interest in the game.
Like origin.
10 years ago if someone told me people would lose interest I'd think they were mad.
But even this year ratings were down.
It needs a change.
So the conference model, with less comp games and more weekends for rep rounds freshens and varies what has gone dramatically stale.
Believe it or not Rothf*ck wrote a great column a few years ago about it.
People still love their sport.
But they demand evolution much quicker now.

Last edited:
Just an update with the Brown St Bombers...our three confirmed signings have all agreed to ratchet clauses in their contracts....each gets 40% of the total cap once promoted to the top tier...this consortium shyte is too easy...the local servo also promised us 20 bazzilion dollars once we get there in, in shorts sponsorship.

TV wants all games live now , so playing two at the same time won't work,
A second NZ team may work, but with two extra games you will probably over saturate the market.

Fox wants the 6pm Fri because people then watch the prime game at 8pm on foxtel, so its going nowhere. Same reason Nein wants Thurs (its theirs). So **** timeslots are inevitable if you want 10 live games.

As mentioned Perth works for obvious reasons, as would harnessing a mid arvo NZ game (or Fiji if they were to enter the comp and play games there).

I guess then the available time slots on the east coast would be:

Thurs 7.30
Fri 6pm, 8pm (possible 10pm using Perth)
Sat 1.30PM (3.30pm NZ/Fiji), 3.30pm, 5.30 pm, 7.30 pm & 9.30 (Perth only)
Sun 1pm (3pm Nz/Fiji) or 2pm, 3pm or 4pm, 6pm (and 8pm using Perth)
Mon 6pm. Awful time, causes 5 day turn around issues, but if the NRL needed it could potentially be managed.

Not using NZ/Fiji or Perth or Monday - that is 9 slots (the ones in bold).

Using Perth gives an extra live spot on Fri or Sat (Sat is the best, or could help with live on Sunday night). Another NZ team frees up an early Sat or Sunday. Between them, gives them your 10 games.

Or.... Have a rolling bye for 2 teams and have 9 games.

Or.... everyone sucks it up and loses a live game.

Last edited:
Fox wants the 6pm Fri because people then watch the prime game at 8pm on foxtel, so its going nowhere. Same reason Nein wants Thurs (its theirs). So **** timeslots are inevitable if you want 10 live games.

As mentioned Perth works for obvious reasons, as would harnessing a mid arvo NZ game (or Fiji if they were to enter the comp and play games there).

I guess then the available time slots on the east coast would be:

Thurs 7.30
Fri 6pm, 8pm (possible 10pm using Perth)
Sat 1.30PM (3.30pm NZ/Fiji), 3.30pm, 5.30 pm, 7.30 pm & 9.30 (Perth only)
Sun 1pm (3pm Nz/Fiji) or 2pm, 3pm or 4pm, 6pm (and 8pm using Perth)
Mon 6pm. Awful time, causes 5 day turn around issues, but if the NRL needed it could potentially be managed.

Not using NZ/Fiji or Perth or Monday - that is 9 slots (the ones in bold).

Using Perth gives an extra live spot on Fri or Sat (Sat is the best, or could help with live on Sunday night). Another NZ team fees up an early Sat or Sunday. Between then gives them your 10 games.

Or.... Have a rolling bye for 2 teams and have 9 games.

Or.... everyone sucks it up and loses a live game.
If the content and quality are there Fox and the networks, whoever they may be, will accommodate.
It may be time to, if this were to ever happen, sell the game in packages to the bidders.
Sydney, Brisbane and the rest to the networks separately.
And if someone wants the lot then they pay for it.
Whatever, the league is going to have to be mighty creative with whatever they put on offer come the next TV deal.

I want the below for christmas, but just like Norths wishes "It Aint Happening".

giphy.gif
Probably for the best, implants that big will almost certainly give you back problems ;)

The North's fans have only one aim. To deathride Manly and slip in on our demise. Yeah we were doing a lot of that ourselves this year but with Des back our place looks a lot rosier.

North's now have as much chance as a stand alone first grade Newtown of returning. Maybe too late. Balmain? The Steelers? Glebe? Let's bring em all back.

Look like most Manly supporters I would rather see us play North Sydney at Bear Park on a Friday night, even sharing a few ales with those feral Manly hating Fig Tree dwellers at Percy's, than seeing a soulless game v Anyone at the empty Carven at Homebush .But Toddy wouldnt want that..

If the content and quality are there Fox and the networks, whoever they may be, will accommodate.
It may be time to, if this were to ever happen, sell the game in packages to the bidders.
Sydney, Brisbane and the rest to the networks separately.
And if someone wants the lot then they pay for it.
Whatever, the league is going to have to be mighty creative with whatever they put on offer come the next TV deal.

Yeah, fair point. If we ever end up with a conference system, then overlaps will be inevitable (esp with 24 teams the bears are proposing).

As you mentioned, each region would show games most relevant to their region.

Also with the likes of on demand services (youtube, netflix, etc..) and foxtels multiple channels, as long as consumers can choose which game they watch, they would be happy.

If you can pick which live games you watch, there are very few people that would care about all live games. How many people actually watch all 8 games live at the moment.

Ummmmmm......of course they want a relegation system. It's what they represent.
Relegation > the action of assigning to an inferior rank or position! Who can lay claim to being more inferior than the Bears.
Inferior > lower in ability & status.....the Bears
Ability > Talent, skill & proficiency.......none of which the Bears possess!
I wish they would go into permanent hibernation! They nearly took us out with them when we took pity on them & accepted them into the fold! Go away!

With the 2x10 conference system the season would be 7 weeks shorter so you would have the ability to run preseason or 9's comps over multiple weekends with stand alone SOO combined with Islander nations Internationals .... or some such ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4