Non-Manly Games [Round 4, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gus just made a very good point about the 5 day turn around.

Manly have a few of those, including tomorrow's game and then we play Souffs next Thursday.
Disagree with Gus - why would Rabbids not last the first 40 and in fact are stronger in the second half?

But 5 day turnarounds, especially the back-to-back ones that Manly got this year need to be outlawed @:cool:

Disagree with Gus - why would Rabbids not last the first 40 and in fact are stronger in the second half?

But 5 day turnarounds, especially the back-to-back ones that Manly got this year need to be outlawed @:cool:

Are they stronger or did the Dogs go into cruise mode which they seemed to have now snapped out of?

Yes they need to be outlawed, but won't be because the NRL basically gave Nein control of the draw until 2018 or 2019. And while they can get Thursday night ratings we're going to have games played 5 days a week.

Headlines. EASTER BUNNY MASSACRE.
chocolate_bunny_binge_gothic_easter_postcard-rd41c1c10d7ef4b999e3adf565fb05f88_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

You are full of future positivity today TC!!
Some lateral ball movement structures to improve our go forward sets were evident especially in the fresh stages like the resumption of play or kick offs off the back of a good go forward run were encouraging.

Parcell another positive but overall just another soft average performance that made me go to sleep.

Some lateral ball movement structures to improve our go forward sets were evident especially in the fresh stages like the resumption of play or kick offs off the back of a good go forward run were encouraging.

Parcell another positive but overall just another soft average performance that made me go to sleep.

Nathan Brown needs your phone number TC :p

1nglis diving on the ball in the in-goal with 3 minutes left showed just how disinterested he is when his team is losing. He had enough time there to pick up the ball and at least try to make it back into play. The Dogs chasers were still at least 5 metres from him.

I agree, Cronulla were soft that night and easy to contain. The lateral ball movement worked well and hope it continues.

I do still worry that Myles and starling are out 2 best starting front rowers. We are still a little soft up front and lack that mongrel and go forward. And teams with good quick sweeping back lines do worry our D out wide, especially Matai and Jorge.

But their were plenty of positives. Parcell playing 80 mins and killing it. Marty another 150m performance and bent the line. Also played for 80. Jake rock solid in defence (leads the NRL in tackling) Walker looked dangerous and promising. DCE was heavily involved and getting back to best. Having Tom on wing, that side of defence looks much better and with toms speed can cover very well, also finish off tries plus kick returned he ran for 200m. Plus the addition of Tom Symonds thought he did a mountain of defence and when Mateo came on added the X factor with the ball.

Make no mistake, plenty of improvement still needed but we played heaps better and just have to keep building on that each week.

Not so sure, with the right mix of the talent we have metres can come as a result of 2nd phase play. Problem is that the only two off loads came from BJ last week.
With the addition of hole running 2nd rowers and Mateo, might just change the dynamic. Hopeful anyway.

Nah, can't see it. Its the first 30 mins which is hurting us. Can't compete physically with the bigger sides. If it goes into the back end of the second half and it is close or we are ahead i see us finishing strong. ATM though doing too much tackling and being stream rolled up the middle. I just dont think we have the players this year to fix it. Every game i will still cheer and hope the boys improve and play their hearts out and thats all you can ask for. If we turn up with the right frame of mind we are always a chance but will be a tough year.

As I said Simon, metres can come as a result of 2nd Phase play. Defense however is still needed.

I agree, Cronulla were soft that night and easy to contain. The lateral ball movement worked well and hope it continues.

I do still worry that Myles and starling are out 2 best starting front rowers. We are still a little soft up front and lack that mongrel and go forward. And teams with good quick sweeping back lines do worry our D out wide, especially Matai and Jorge.

But their were plenty of positives. Parcell playing 80 mins and killing it. Marty another 150m performance and bent the line. Also played for 80. Jake rock solid in defence (leads the NRL in tackling) Walker looked dangerous and promising. DCE was heavily involved and getting back to best. Having Tom on wing, that side of defence looks much better and with toms speed can cover very well, also finish off tries plus kick returned he ran for 200m. Plus the addition of Tom Symonds thought he did a mountain of defence and when Mateo came on added the X factor with the ball.

Make no mistake, plenty of improvement still needed but we played heaps better and just have to keep building on that each week.
Agree, but we also played better due to the opposition.

Until we consistently punch straight in our go forward sets with some sharpness and defend 5 tackles beyond just sitting back and absorbing for the majority of the time there is no reliable foundation to build upon.

Interesting that Souths have had about 500 more 1st graders than Manly, around 1080, despite having only been in the competition for about 40 more seasons.

Indicative I suppose of their long periods of mediocre performances in recent seasons, coupled with a higher turnover of players - i.e. far fewer long serving players than Manly has had during its much shorter history.

Until we consistently punch straight in our go forward sets with some sharpness and defend 5 tackles beyond just sitting back and absorbing for the majority of the time there is no reliable foundation to build upon.

But do we have the neccesary cattle to " punch forward " in every set of 5??

We don't have a Bulldogs or Cowboys type pack , so are you saying until we do we will be also rans?

Not a lot of top metre eaters on the market for 2017, so based on this it's going to be same old same old for a while!

Last edited:

I don't with we have the players to constantly punch holes up the middle. We can though always work on defence and line speed and hopefully the better our D the other areas can be built on the back of that. If we don't have the players to continually rack up 150-200m, we can be smarter with the ball, with variations with short balls and lateral passing and offloads/second phase play when warranted and the opportunity presents itself.

Roosters will be a very good test as we our down 2 key forwards and roosters pack is still very good.

I have no idea what is available in the other grades but always thought we are still lacking in the forward department from what was the expected first grade line up. (during posts made about the line up from last years threads)

There is an improvement over last year lets take that as a positive which needs to be added to.

I would be letting go a fair few forwards back and front row as they don't fit the right physical build to sustain a constant physical presence.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4