Nick and the Sombrero

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A points system is too subjective, it would never stand up in court if a player challenged it. It would restrict their earning potential if a club is willing to pay more than the points allow. A player might be worth X to a team that lacks depth in a particular position or lacks experience, and worth Y to another team that wants them, but for a different role. So how do you determine their value? Their value is different to different teams.

There is no perfect solution. I think the best step is publishing contract values. At least then if someone’s contract looks very low and other clubs know they offered more to that same player - questions would be asked. It would be an improvement.

A points system is too subjective, it would never stand up in court if a player challenged it. It would restrict their earning potential if a club is willing to pay more than the points allow. A player might be worth X to a team that lacks depth in a particular position or lacks experience, and worth Y to another team that wants them, but for a different role. So how do you determine their value? Their value is different to different teams.

There is no perfect solution. I think the best step is publishing contract values. At least then if someone’s contract looks very low and other clubs know they offered more to that same player - questions would be asked. It would be an improvement.
The whole story is bull$hit mate! When Glen Stewart was offered a contract of 350,000 or whatever It was to stay, the NRL said he was worth 600,000 & therefore they did not register his contract & had to be let go......so it’s ok for players worth more to play for the Roosters for less Lolol.....like I said fucI<en bull$hit!!! The Roosters are cheating the cap but no one has the balls to come out & accuse them of it. That gutless drunk Rothfield is too scared for fear he might end up stuffed in a keg & thrown into the surf at Cronulla. Useless prick......just sayin

Last edited:
Players taking 'unders' - what an utter load of sh#t.
Didn't Manly get fined one year for not paying T.Rex what the NRL believed he was worth? And that was when he wasn't even a top-line player.
As if James Tedesco isn't somehow getting the 1.2 mil in total. And for the NRL to approve his move from the Tigers just encourages all the power to go to certain clubs.
Just who do they think they're kidding?
This farce of a competition makes me so angry.:swear:
The amount of articles out at the moment points to the fact that everyone knows what's going on but the media and NRL feel the need to defend it.

Unders my (_|_)

so i guess that rule started and ended with Gifty!!! Typical ‘lets shoe horn’ a rule in to screw Manly and conveniently forget about it ever again - until we want to sign Jake one day for unders

And this is exactly why the system is screwed.

What the hell happened to not being able to sign players for way below market value ?

I'll say it again.....the AFL may be a crappy game.....but it is administered with Swiss precision compared to the clusterf*ck that is the NRL.

Last edited:
Quite a few impending off contract Roosters players are currently expressing the similar " love to be here ' rhetoric " and apparently prepared to stay for unders . .More like under Nick"s Sombrero or very flexible golf handicap settings .

Has someone asked the nrl about the gift situation (is there an article around?) vs what’s happening at the roosters? Throw in Lockyer and his 200k whatever contract as well.

There is no balance in the way this game works. It’s all about favourites within head office, the media, player managers... rules made up then forgotten about.

I have no idea what the independent commission is doing if all they do is go in favour of the bald knob.

The whole story is bull$hit mate! When Glen Stewart was offered a contract of 350,000 or whatever It was to stay, the NRL said he was worth 600,000 & therefore they did not register his contract & had to be let go......so it’s ok for players worth more to play for the Roosters for less Lolol.....like I said fucI<en bull$hit!!! The Roosters are cheating the cap but no one has the balls to come out & accuse them of it. That gutless drunk Rothfield is too scared for fear he might end up stuffed in a keg & thrown into the surf at Cronulla. Useless prick......just sayin
I’m not arguing that at all.

23 juniors, poached from other clubs at treble what they could earn if they stayed.

JWH is a great example poached from us for massive $$$ straight out of the 20’s.

All the hard work was done, he didn’t go there for the coach or the culture he went there for one reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
yes as implied by my inverted commas .. lol

T-Red was probably their most notable and he still played his best footy with us....

So 17 players are worth $9.5 million and the remaining 13 players to make up the 30 are on $150,000 each.
Mitchell is on $650,000 but worth $1,000,000 LOL, yes a player will take unders to stay at a club for various reasons BUT $350,000 a season is not unders. If I was a player and someone said here is an extra $1,000,000 over three years I would be putting pen to paper that day.

It must cost a fortune to run that club, the number of people on the take to say everything is above board just keeps growing.

So 17 players are worth $9.5 million and the remaining 13 players to make up the 30 are on $150,000 each.
Mitchell is on $650,000 but worth $1,000,000 LOL, yes a player will take unders to stay at a club for various reasons BUT $350,000 a season is not unders. If I was a player and someone said here is an extra $1,000,000 over three years I would be putting pen to paper that day.

It must cost a fortune to run that club, the number of people on the take to say everything is above board just keeps growing.

Look let’s give them some credit , they are bloody good at it aren’t they!!

The recent quote from John Singleton says it all, and Uncle Nick basically saying “ you’re just jealous”.

HOWEVER, I do credit them with having an incredible system ( as in financial )and a network of the rich and famous to call on.

Scrap the Cap it is nonsense. It does not create a level playing field that is glaringly obvious. It has been suggested that the cap serves to protect clubs from themselves. I say don't bother let financial attrition take it's toll and relocation will become part of an evolution rather than a product of agenda driven manufacturing. The current cap just results in alarming inconsistency from the NRL. The game is quickly losing it's credibility and appeal and once people stop watching it the broadcasters will drop it like a bad habit and the NRL's feeding trough will be empty. Talk about strangling the golden goose the game is run by a gaggle of geese. The fact that they have to give away tickets to major semi finals not only says something it is deafening.

The whole premise of a points system is that a players "points value" ISN'T necessarily tied to their $$$ value. You can pay your players whatever you want but can't exceed the total number of points allowed for the squad as a whole. If, for example, players are given a points value between 1 - 10 then you might have to keep your whole squad of 30 under a cumulative total of 200 points for example. You can pay all 30 of the $1mil each if you want. It's no different juggling a points based cap to a $$$ based cap - all clubs still have to balance their wants and needs - but it takes away all these shady areas like TPA's, backended contracts, brown paper bags etc

The problem with points system is agreeing on how individual player points are allocated and reviewed - who does that and how often.

I think that the NRL will always struggle on this front until they allow a draft system. The RLPA needs to understand that player earning potential is tied to the game itself and therefore the game should be able to dictate to some extent how the talent is distributed such that the competition remains viable and financially able to sustain player payments. You can't have one without the other. Drafts seem to work in a lot of other successful sporting codes around the globe.

The whole premise of a points system is that a players "points value" ISN'T necessarily tied to their $$$ value. You can pay your players whatever you want but can't exceed the total number of points allowed for the squad as a whole. If, for example, players are given a points value between 1 - 10 then you might have to keep your whole squad of 30 under a cumulative total of 200 points for example. You can pay all 30 of the $1mil each if you want. It's no different juggling a points based cap to a $$$ based cap - all clubs still have to balance their wants and needs - but it takes away all these shady areas like TPA's, backended contracts, brown paper bags etc

The problem with points system is agreeing on how individual player points are allocated and reviewed - who does that and how often.

I think that the NRL will always struggle on this front until they allow a draft system. The RLPA needs to understand that player earning potential is tied to the game itself and therefore the game should be able to dictate to some extent how the talent is distributed such that the competition remains viable and financially able to sustain player payments. You can't have one without the other. Drafts seem to work in a lot of other successful sporting codes around the globe.

Exactly, if the Roosters want to spend 30 million to buy the two best players in the game ( 10 million each) and pay the other 28 the other 10 million in total good on them.

BUT

They can only have two of the very best players , not as it is now, 25 of them!!!

Scrap the Cap it is nonsense. It does not create a level playing field that is glaringly obvious. It has been suggested that the cap serves to protect clubs from themselves. I say don't bother let financial attrition take it's toll and relocation will become part of an evolution rather than a product of agenda driven manufacturing. The current cap just results in alarming inconsistency from the NRL. The game is quickly losing it's credibility and appeal and once people stop watching it the broadcasters will drop it like a bad habit and the NRL's feeding trough will be empty. Talk about strangling the golden goose the game is run by a gaggle of geese. The fact that they have to give away tickets to major semi finals not only says something it is deafening.

easy fix,

1. scrap TPAs

2. cap increase % every year

3. NRL determines individual players minimum wage range based on KPI's (rep players etc)

4. all wages stay in the cap with no external top ups - incentive for this taken away by point 3 because player will already be getting their worth

5. concessions for local juniors (not bought juniors)

6. concessions for long service (5+ years at 1 club NRL level) further concessions on sliding scale per year after

7. all contracts sums disclosed for public record

Last edited:
Both club and player should be forced to publish their tax returns. Now it becomes a federal offence!!!

Ohh and the NRL too...

That won't stop the cap rorting. Nothing to stop them from employing a family member to work at the club or a sponsor of the club for $500K a year. How does the NRL police that :smoke:

easy fix,

1. scrap TPAs

2. cap increase % every year

3. NRL determines individual players minimum wage range based on KPI's (rep players etc)

4. all wages stay in the cap with no external top ups - incentive for this taken away by point 3 because player will already be getting their worth

5. concessions for local juniors (not bought juniors)

6. concessions for long service (5+ years at 1 club) further concessions on sliding scale per year after

7. all contracts sums disclosed for public record

The trouble with that is that the best players see their worth as way way more than they could be paid through the cap, hence we get TPA’s.

Honestly, if Politis wants to buy Cronk and pay him 5 million a year who cares but in a points system they could only afford him and say Tedesco ( also on 5 million a year if they want) but that would be it as far as top line players go.

No Cordner, no JWH, no Keary , no Radley , no Crichton ( this is pure supposition here to explain what I mean ).

Say 300 points maximum.

Elite players worth 50 points.
Sub Elite worth 25 points.
Regular first graders worth 10 points.
Reserve graders who’ve played on the NRL worth 5 points.
Juniors and Reserve graders yet to debut worth 1 point.

You need 30 players

Clubs couldn’t have a team of Australian, International or State of Origin players as it wouldn’t fit in the point allowance.

This is rough and would need tweaking but you get the idea.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6