Nick and the Sombrero

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Both club and player should be forced to publish their tax returns. Now it becomes a federal offence!!!

Ohh and the NRL too...

Sad thing is.....winning a bet is not considered income.

Transferring money (or just equivalent benefits) is so easy that it's no wonder that nearly every discovery of cap cheating is the result of some disgruntled former employee spilling their guts.

The NRL (or should I say Greenturd) have no interest in treating everyone equally. Can you imagine if Manly were caught doing what the Squeels did for as long as they did ? We'd have been excommunicated.

Sorry but a really dumb idea.

But like us spending all those years developing JWH only to let him be poached by the Rorters.

The trouble with that is that the best players see their worth as way way more than they could be paid through the cap, hence we get TPA’s.

Honestly, if Politis wants to buy Cronk and pay him 5 million a year who cares but in a points system they could only afford him and say Tedesco ( also on 5 million a year if they want) but that would be it as far as top line players go.

No Cordner, no JWH, no Keary , no Radley , no Crichton ( this is pure supposition here to explain what I mean ).

Say 300 points maximum.

Elite players worth 50 points.
Sub Elite worth 25 points.
Regular first graders worth 10 points.
Reserve graders who’ve played on the NRL worth 5 points.
Juniors and Reserve graders yet to debut worth 1 point.

You need 30 players

Clubs couldn’t have a team of Australian, International or State of Origin players as it wouldn’t fit in the point allowance.

This is rough and would need tweaking but you get the idea.
Nice idea but not so simple. What if you suddenly get 3 players picked for Origin or prime minister 13, next minute you are over your points limit and have to shed players. Rich clubs would ‘encourage’ star players to miss rep games, etc.

I hear one of the big US sports allows breaching the cap if you pay a fine, or tax, that then gets distributed to the other clubs. Combined with zero tolerance for cap breaches, so you play by the rules or your club is kicked out. (NBA?)

Boy isn’t the commentary around the Roosters heating up... all these propaganda fluff pieces coming out before a Grand Final featuring at least one of the Rorters/Storm AGAIN.

The salary cap is working though according to Todd...

Nice idea but not so simple. What if you suddenly get 3 players picked for Origin or prime minister 13, next minute you are over your points limit and have to shed players. Rich clubs would ‘encourage’ star players to miss rep games, etc.

No , players would have a set value for the year ( maybe two ), so that if developed during their time at that club they get the benefit of a great player on lower points.

A ridiculous article in the Telecrap today by Rothtool. He was banging on about how the Roosters simply develop the best players and established first graders are willing to take 'unders' to play at the Chooks.

Does he know that these 'developed' players were stolen from other junior nurseries with...wait for it...money?

He claims that players take 'unders' to play under super coach Robinson. In 2013, SBW went to the Chooks to play under Robinson in his first year in charge of the Roosters. Did he already know Robinson would be a super coach?

Then he listed outlandish figures for what players in the squad were worth. I am supposed to believe that Tedesco is only getting 900k a season, Mitchell is getting 675k and the best one; Angus Critchton is apparently on 600k...yeah right.

A ridiculous article in the Telecrap today by Rothtool. He was banging on about how the Roosters simply develop the best players and established first graders are willing to take 'unders' to play at the Chooks.

Does he know that these 'developed' players were stolen from other junior nurseries with...wait for it...money?

He claims that players take 'unders' to play under super coach Robinson. In 2013, SBW went to the Chooks to play under Robinson in his first year in charge of the Roosters. Did he already know Robinson would be a super coach?

Then he listed outlandish figures for what players in the squad were worth. I am supposed to believe that Tedesco is only getting 900k a season, Mitchell is getting 675k and the best one; Angus Critchton is apparently on 600k...yeah right.
The figures quoted were bull**** in my opinion.

I'm sure players such as Money-Bill Williams didn't take unders to play with Easts.

None of the stars there now would be either.

I get that a young player “ might” think he has a better chance at say the Drizzle or Rorters and sign or stay for less ( short term) but you don’t get Crichton for example moving there for unders when he came from an already successful club.

Last edited:

Points aren't reviewed on a game by game basis that is not the concept of a points system - the player is allocated points when they sign a contract and they keep that ranking for the length of the contract - much like they keep their annual salary for the length of their contract (forget front loading and backloading for the moment) - you don't adjust a players contract value because they become a representative player do you ? When they are off contract or extend a current contract than that triggers an update on their points rating. So if you have a gun rookie you can sign him up to a 10 year deal and keep him at low points for that whole time if you are confident in his ability.

I hear one of the big US sports allows breaching the cap if you pay a fine, or tax, that then gets distributed to the other clubs. Combined with zero tolerance for cap breaches, so you play by the rules or your club is kicked out. (NBA?)

That would be awesome in a perfect world where you have a huge market and teams/investors lining up to buy "franchises". We struggle to maintain 16 viable clubs as it is. In the NRL if it was just a fine for cap breaches then those with deep pockets would just ignore the cap and pay the fine - are the NRL really going to kick out the Roosters or Broncos for salary cap breaches ?? You have to hit them where it hurts - premiership points and salary cap "fines" so it effects their roster.

I just think because of the obvious “ bending” ( let’s not call it rorting for the moment ) of the rules that allows players to earn so much more than the standard these days you are never going to get limitations on $$$.

So why worry about the $$$, the rich clubs will always buy the best it’s been that way for years.

Each club gets a salary allowance ( whatever that is deemed to be) and they can choose to work within that allowance or supplement that in any way they wish ( benefactors/ sponsorships etc etc ).

BUT they are limited through a points system as to how many high value elite players they can have.

Not perfect but would go some ways in seeing a more equitable spread of talent.

BF86A25D-446D-4825-A248-22F40E6F2EE0.jpeg

There's been a lot of public declarations about the how good the rorters are at cap management lately. I guess Nick's money buys the media as well as top-line players.:wasntme:
They're not convincing anyone but themselves though.

The media, especially the Telestuff.have always been Roosters fans. Can expect nothing less from them.

Points aren't reviewed on a game by game basis that is not the concept of a points system - the player is allocated points when they sign a contract and they keep that ranking for the length of the contract - much like they keep their annual salary for the length of their contract (forget front loading and backloading for the moment) - you don't adjust a players contract value because they become a representative player do you ? When they are off contract or extend a current contract than that triggers an update on their points rating. So if you have a gun rookie you can sign him up to a 10 year deal and keep him at low points for that whole time if you are confident in his ability.
I suppose that could work. Are there any overseas sports using a points system?

In the NRL if it was just a fine for cap breaches then those with deep pockets would just ignore the cap and pay the fine - are the NRL really going to kick out the Roosters or Broncos for salary cap breaches ?? You have to hit them where it hurts - premiership points and salary cap "fines" so it effects their roster.
I don't think it is a fine for getting caught, it is more a pre-arranged tax where the club is up front about paying extra and is allowed to, but in return must pay a sum to the other clubs. If you get busted rorting, you are out, full stop. That last part is the problem from NRL, they don't have clubs waiting in reserve to step up if someone is ejected from the comp, and because we are beholden to the TV contract we couldn't just run with a bye for a while.

I just think because of the obvious “ bending” ( let’s not call it rorting for the moment ) of the rules that allows players to earn so much more than the standard these days you are never going to get limitations on $$$.

So why worry about the $$$, the rich clubs will always buy the best it’s been that way for years.

Each club gets a salary allowance ( whatever that is deemed to be) and they can choose to work within that allowance or supplement that in any way they wish ( benefactors/ sponsorships etc etc ).

BUT they are limited through a points system as to how many high value elite players they can have.

Not perfect but would go some ways in seeing a more equitable spread of talent.
The name of the game is to get into a similar position as those clubs. We have been there before, 45 seasons of making the finals in 70 years in the competition (not including the NE years) is just one indicator of that.

We are heading that way again, provided the off-field meddling/shenanigans remain in abeyance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8