• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
New NRL is a bland exercise in box-ticking that misses the spirit of the Simply the Best campaign
PAUL KENT: Perhaps we should give them credit for aiming high – but this new NRL ad is a bland, politically correct gesture from an organisation losing touch with the majority of the game’s fans.

Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
March 2, 2020 7:15pm
Close
DAILYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU2:00
Still Simply The Best – NRL commercial for 2020
In attempting to be courageous and visionary the NRL’s new ad has failed miserably.

It is neither courageous nor visionary.

Instead the new ad is stale and cliched and, if you wanted to insult high schoolers, nothing better than ninth graders could trot out in film class.

It contains none of the daring of the original ad, which took tremendous early vision from the game’s then-boss, John Quayle, and then required courage to see it through.

If ever there was a metaphor for the game today …

The new ad attempts to call on the competition’s heritage.
The new ad attempts to call on the competition’s heritage.
Once Quayle recognised that the game needed to go in a new direction to find a new audience, and Quayle convinced Tina Turner’s manager Roger Davies What You Get Is What You See should be the new anthem, the great shadow of Rex Mossop nearly killed it all.

Mossop, then the game’s biggest media figure, called Quayle with a question that sounded much more like a threat.

“Tell me it isn’t true,” he said. He’d heard an American grandmother was going to be the new face of the game, which isn’t quite how he actually said it, and he did not think it was a particularly good idea.

FROM OUR PARTNERS https://www.news.com.au/wp-content/.../assets/dist/img/common/icons/offnet-icon.svg

Test cricket is back! Watch Australia v Sri Lanka live Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

Quayle played dumb to Mossop, saying he wasn’t sure, but within hours others inside League headquarters grew terrified of the media backlash and urged Quayle to scrap it and go with something more traditional, more familiar and easier to like.

It was going to cost them their job, they said.

Quayle refused, saying, “I’ll stake my job on it.”

Retro affections fail to capture the original spirit.
Retro affections fail to capture the original spirit.
It took only days for the ad to become the benchmark around the world for how to sell a sport. The following year, 1990, the game launched Turner singing Simply The Best and the game went to another level again.

The NRL has re-launched Turner’s song to commemorate the 30th anniversary.

It is with some reluctance that a hand goes up today to admit that I was part of a small committee, along with several other league journalists, asked by the NRL to contribute storylines from the past 30 years for the ad.

I will leave it to the others to confess their role. The smart ones will admit nothing.

Perhaps that is why the ad actually looks like it was put together by committees and interest groups.

It looks like a box-ticking exercise. Bland, politically correct gestures from an NRL losing touch with the great majority of the game’s fans as it continues its blind path towards irrelevance.

It is a dangerous path they follow, ignoring the great majority of its fans.

“A big moment for equality …” says the voiceover, while also showing a photograph of Women’s State of Origin couple Karina Brown (Queensland) and Vanessa Foliaki (NSW) kissing after the game.

Then up pops Macklemore, involved in rugby league for, oh, about 15 minutes tops, to take his place as another significant part of the past 30 years.

If there was a minority that was missed the NRL will be deeply depressed.

Meanwhile, forget about those who have volunteered a lifetime to the game, a great majority who once believed they were actually part of what was good in the game.

No, they remain unrepresented now, unless that is them in generic crowd shots, or perhaps marching down George St in support of the banished Rabbitohs, their moment swathed in anger.

South Sydney’s fans fight for their club gets a nod.
South Sydney’s fans fight for their club gets a nod.
The Super League war gets a start, another cause for division.

In all, it is an angry ad, highlighting everything that has or does divide our society. It overlooks the years of hard work many good people did to make rugby league an inclusive game, a game that actually united communities.

So Latrell Mitchell’s protest is recognised, a proud Mitchell dominating the ad while draped in the Aboriginal flag.

The actual reality, that indigenous players almost always bring a light to children’s eyes, that the women’s competition is so far ahead of its AFL rival, goes unrecognised as the game chooses to focus on other aspects of their contribution.

Is the new ad inspiring or divisive?
Is the new ad inspiring or divisive?
Rather than unite the game, as Turner’s ad once did, this ad creates the thought that there is separation.

Turner’s original ads were so outstanding you could dim the sound and it still visually stirred.

Turn down the sound on this one and by the end of it you will be angry enough to kick in your television set.

No, after 30 years all that survives is the power of Turner’s song.

The original ad made you feel a part of rugby league.

It was courageous and visionary and it made you feel good for being a part of it.

This one does not.

the ad is good. But why do we need an aboriginal flag on mitchell's back or a screenshot of two WNRL players having a pash.

It's a sport its an outlet a form of entertainment. Not a platform for politcal statements.

From where I stand I have no issue with LGBT rights or marriage, I voted yes and I'm all for celebrating indigenious players even if they arent as good as Cliffy and Dale shearer.

But when does our season anthem have to be a politcal statement. this is todds work he is the master politcan

Once I saw it was sCam centric it would take a miracle to get me to like it.
What does it take for them to realise he is more universally disliked than liked.
Time I guess...

Unfortunately for us, one of the continuing stains on our game that is Paul Kent is still writing dribble.

Yes, the NRL ad should always try and attract it's current viewers, but if the NRL wants to expand, it's needs to attract both the rusted on fans, and the new fans and show that it is a game for everyone, where everyone is welcome no matter who they are, where they come from and who they love.

There's is nothing political with advertising our game and showing that it is for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with an organisation trying to show itself in the best possible light, but there is a bit too much virtue signalling for my liking. (To be honest, I am over corporate virtue signalling...)

Anyway, not showing Beaver’s try in the 2008 GF is unforgivable. They also forgot the event that united the overwhelming majority of league fans - the day the Storm were found to be cheats.

NRL defends new TV ad campaign the features the most divisive moments in the game’s history
On the 30th anniversary of the NRL’s iconic Tina Turner campaign the NRL wanted to celebrate rugby league’s ability to unites communities but instead it features some of the most divisive moments in the game’s history. WATCH THE AD HERE.

Jocelyn Airth, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
March 2, 2020 7:14pm
Close
The NRL has defended its controversial Simply the Best TV campaign, maintaining that it “celebrates the best on and off field moments” in the game.

The two-minute video intended to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the NRL’s iconic Tina Turner campaign, but instead it features some of the most divisive moments in the game’s history.

Spliced into the new NRL campaign are references to the Super League war and South Sydney’s fight to be reinstated into the competition.

The campaign also depicts Latrell Mitchell draped in an Aboriginal flag and women’s State of Origin couple Karina Brown (QLD) and Vanessa Foliaki (NSW) kissing after the match.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO. Every game of every round LIVE & Ad-Break Free during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The new ad recognised Latrell Mitchell’s voice in the game.
The new ad recognised Latrell Mitchell’s voice in the game.
Despite these contentious scenes, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg backed the TV campaign in a statement.

“This campaign celebrates the best on and off field moments in our game over the last 30 years and acknowledges some of the challenges we have overcome,” Mr Greenberg said.

“It also reflects on the impact of rugby league in Australian communities and how our game, like no other, brings communities and cultures together,”

“We have always stood for inclusion and the campaign addresses some of the most important social issues our game has helped shape.”

FROM OUR PARTNERS https://www.news.com.au/wp-content/.../assets/dist/img/common/icons/offnet-icon.svg

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

FOOTY TIPS! Join Australia’s best footy tipping competition for your chance to win big. Add our experts to your league and join now at TIPS.COM.AU.

How do you rate the new NRL ad?
Love it, they did a great job
Good try but just doesn't hit the mark
Kenty's right - somehow they stuffed it up
Cast your vote
The NRL boss said that the TV campaign celebrates the best on-field moments from the game since 1990.

“On the field, the campaign remembers Benji’s famous flick pass in the 2005 grand final and that tackle from Scott Sattler in 2003,” Mr Greenberg said.

“It celebrates Newcastle’s 1997 grand final win, the North Queensland Cowboys’ golden point grand final win and what those wins meant for their communities,”

“There’s so many highlights and so much to be proud of. This campaign brings it all together to acknowledge the best of our game and the anniversary of our most iconic marketing campaign.”

The NRL received input from players past and present, media identities, administrators and partners for the campaign.

No surprise there are no highlights of the biggest result in grand final history or a shot of the 40 nil scoreboard or Beaver scoring his famous try.
As usual with this mob the scaffold is put around a great idea but they just seem not to get it right when the finished product is revealed.
I have said for the last few years we needed a theme song back and was stoked when they said they were doing this.
But they gauge public opinion on what they like and I can see toddys finger prints all over this starting with sCam.
They had the perfect opportunity to really rock it out, forget about the farkin messages they think we need rammed into us and focus on the game...

I love it. I think it's amazing. Instead of just 2 minutes I wish it went for 5 minutes and I wish they had more of that young girl singing. I didn't find her singing one bit irritating. NRL is on a winner with this ad. I'm sure they'll be a boost in ratings and match attendances.

If journos had input obviously Buzz said Manly train in the dark because theyre cheapskates as I didn’t get a sandwich when I went out to Narrabeen. Surprised it wasn’t just a montage of demountable shots.

Anyway **** ad but standard NRL trash because it doesn’t know it’s own product or what the fans want.

NRL defends new TV ad campaign the features the most divisive moments in the game’s history
On the 30th anniversary of the NRL’s iconic Tina Turner campaign the NRL wanted to celebrate rugby league’s ability to unites communities but instead it features some of the most divisive moments in the game’s history.
The NRL has defended its controversial Simply the Best TV campaign, maintaining that it “celebrates the best on and off field moments” in the game.

The two-minute video intended to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the NRL’s iconic Tina Turner campaign, but instead it features some of the most divisive moments in the game’s history.

Spliced into the new NRL campaign are references to the Super League war and South Sydney’s fight to be reinstated into the competition.

“On the field, the campaign remembers Benji’s famous flick pass in the 2005 grand final and that tackle from Scott Sattler in 2003,” Mr Greenberg said.

“It celebrates Newcastle’s 1997 grand final win, the North Queensland Cowboys’ golden point grand final win and what those wins meant for their communities,”

“There’s so many highlights and so much to be proud of. This campaign brings it all together to acknowledge the best of our game and the anniversary of our most iconic marketing campaign.”

The NRL received input from players past and present, media identities, administrators and partners for the campaign.
they forgot to show the scum players signing 2 contracts or inglis getting the keys to his new boat

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7