New Coaching Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Things aren't always as they seem. And at times done for good reason.
That the combination is like chalk and cheese shows someone has given it great thought and it just might work.
Yes but there is a greater risk of losing Flanagan after 12 months by putting him as Assistant.

I see this more as co-coaches than anything else. Seibold may well be considered as the head coach, but I think this model will evolve differently than your traditional coaching model. Greater frontline responsibility spread through all three of the coaches.

Last edited:
I see this more as co-coaches than anything else. Seibold may well be considered as the head coach, but I think this model will evolve differently than your traditional coaching model. Greater frontline responsibility spread through all three of the coaches.
Still does not secure Flanno's services after 12 months.

Yes but there is a greater risk of losing Flanagan after 12 months by putting him as Assistant.

You do understand @Alby that the only reason we have Flanagan as a Manly assistant coach is because Seibold wanted that to happen? It's Seibold that has sold the idea to Mestrov. Not the other way round.

Flanagan's agent has then asked for the release clause to go into the agreement, before Flanagan accepted Manly's offer.

There are many reasons why this arrangement, framed in exactly the way it has been framed, suits Flanagan at present time. How do you know Flanagan even had his name up for the Manly Head Coach position?

All we really know is that the contract suits all parties at this stage, and we will wait and see how it all evolves in 2023.

You do understand @Alby that the only reason we have Flanagan as a Manly assistant coach is because Seibold wanted that to happen? It's Seibold that has sold the idea to Mestrov. Not the other way round.

Flanagan's agent has then asked for the release clause to go into the agreement, before Flanagan accepted Manly's offer.

There are many reasons why this arrangement, framed in exactly the way it has been framed, suits Flanagan at present time. How do you know Flanagan even had his name up for the Manly Head Coach position?

All we really know is that the contract suits all parties at this stage, and we will wait and see how it all evolves in 2023.
Flanno didn't have his name up for Manly HC role, as Seibold was already appointed as Hasler's 'Successor'.. however he always expressed he wanted to get back into a HC role, hence why he put his hand up for Bulldogs and Tigers HC roles... Which begs the next question.. Why were the Penn's so fixated on Seibold?.. Did they not know Flanno was also in the coaching market?

Last edited:
Is anyone going to praise the CEO …. Anyone?….anyone?

Just sayin’
Don't be fooled by headlines. The New CEO is ONLY doing what he's doing because Penn has said go.

This clean out is more to do with taking control away from the traditional side of the club by Penn and Co.

Up until now the legend of Bozo, arko and to a point Des had stood in the way of any complete clear out of the old guard. We all know how much power and cross league support Bozo had which in a way tied Penns hands. Now that he's passed on Penn has no one in his way to go hard.

Look of the clean out brings us success then great. I will stand and support this side and its coaching team without issue. If it doesn't the Penns will be even more pointless.
Some will be pissed off but I absolutely assure everyone the moment we start winning games again , they’ll be back !!
That's exactly the same mantra I said in 2020 and after 4 losses to start in 21. Once we started winning 99% of the pissed off supporters got back on the bus and enjoyed it.

Don't be fooled by headlines. The New CEO is ONLY doing what he's doing because Penn has said go.

This clean out is more to do with taking control away from the traditional side of the club by Penn and Co.

Up until now the legend of Bozo, arko and to a point Des had stood in the way of any complete clear out of the old guard. We all know how much power and cross league support Bozo had which in a way tied Penns hands. Now that he's passed on Penn has no one in his way to go hard.

Look of the clean out brings us success then great. I will stand and support this side and its coaching team without issue. If it doesn't the Penns will be even more pointless.

That's exactly the same mantra I said in 2020 and after 4 losses to start in 21. Once we started winning 99% of the pissed off supporters got back on the bus and enjoyed it.

That may be so @Eagle of London however Penn is not driving this boat at the moment, Mestrov is. That needs to be made clear.

Mestrov has been given some pretty broad parameters and boundaries in which he can operate in. Some of those parameters apply to Penn as well. Mestrov will act independently of Penn, within those clearly defined boundaries. There is no way Mestrov takes this role, without that being the case.

Penns incompetent interference in the MWSE CEO role over time has been noted by many, including Mestrov. Mestrov is clearly not just acting as a functionary for the Penns.

However, I do believe that Penns ultimate long term goal is to see the club split it's time between Perth and Brookvale. Perhaps a complete geographical relocation could happen in the longer term. (10 years)

V'Landys wants a true national Rugby league competition, and that simply won't happen while there is a proliferation of Sydney based teams. In my opinion the two clubs to move on will be us and the Sharks.

In that sense I agree with you on the cleanout. The goal of the cleanout is to remove the Manly old guard, but not necessarily for the reasons you are seeing in the short term. (5 years)

That may be so @Eagle of London however Penn is not driving this boat at the moment, Mestrov is. That needs to be made clear.

Mestrov has been given some pretty broad parameters and boundaries in which he can operate in. Some of those parameters apply to Penn as well. Mestrov will act independently of Penn, within those clearly defined boundaries. There is no way Mestrov takes this role, without that being the case.

Penns incompetent interference in the MWSE CEO role over time has been noted by many, including Mestrov. Mestrov is clearly not just acting as a functionary for the Penns.

However, I do believe that Penns ultimate long term goal is to see the club split it's time between Perth and Brookvale. Perhaps a complete geographical relocation could happen in the longer term. (10 years)

V'Landys wants a true national Rugby league competition, and that simply won't happen while there is a proliferation of Sydney based teams. In my opinion the two clubs to move on will be us and the Sharks.

In that sense I agree with you on the cleanout. The goal of the cleanout is to remove the Manly old guard, but not necessarily for the reasons you are seeing in the short term. (5 years)
Have to disagree on that I'm afraid. Mestrov is under direction from the owner so really doesn't have a great deal of rope other than to follow orders.

Penn would have made the decision to sack des. No one else.

Have to disagree on that I'm afraid. Mestrov is under direction from the owner so really doesn't have a great deal of rope other than to follow orders.

Penn would have made the decision to sack des. No one else.

Let's agree to disagree. I would argue that within the proscribed parameters and boundaries I defined in a previous post, the implementation is all Mestrov.

Let's agree to disagree. I would argue that within the proscribed parameters and boundaries I defined in a previous post, the implementation is all Mestrov.
So you think Mestrov has been given full control to make changes as he sees fit or has been given a set of instructions by Penn that allows his some rope but in the end he has to do penns bidding?

That’s the scary part. ‘Where’ does Penn want to take things.

I know he cannot move away from the NB base, the FC will not allow that to happen.

All the people who have been having a crack about Hasler’s coaching in 2022 - he was wearing several hats at once, including the de facto CEO role.

Roy Masters wrote an interesting piece in an obituary for Bob Fulton, after the latter’s death, here it is:

He points out how Fulton had his hands full in 1995, dealing with the Superleague War, which ultimately impacted on Manly’s preps for the 1995 decider.

There are a few echoes between Fulton’s 1995 and Hasler’s 2022.

Last edited:
What I don't believe is that Mestrov is acting purely as a functionary for Penn, and further to that, that many changes are happening at MWSE in spite of Penn and not because of Penn. Clearly, he has to operate within the limitations of his contract, and therefore hasn't been given carte blanche to act outside those parameters. I have stated this in my two previous posts @Eagle of London

Other posters on here have a similar perspective on this to me

He is working quite hard on establishing a culture which, to be frank, is the very antithesis of past Manly board and management teams and your comment about the time and energy on this front is well noted and observed.

He goes on to write that "I find it interesting that many contributors on this forum who attribute an agenda/narrative that Tony Mestrov was appointed as CEO to function as [the] Penns' mercenary, to fulfill a pre-determined agenda set by the Penn family.

I have made my feelings quite clear on “The Yank” and his family along with his true “lapdog” in my posts throughout the year, unfortunately, there is a CLEAR agenda here, the Penn family DO NOT wish to continue with Des HOWEVER it is not solely on their shoulders.

There are more parties agitating for Des to walk and those parties are privately playing both sides of the field, leaving the agenda to be set as a "Penn v Hasler" brief whilst they too do not wish for him to continue."

No I don't believe Mestrov is there solely to do Penns bidding. I think its a little more complicated than that actually, and if it was so Mestrov would not have taken the role.

That’s the scary part. ‘Where’ does Penn want to take things.

I know he cannot move away from the NB base, the FC will not allow that to happen.

All the people who have been having a crack about Hasler’s coaching in 2022 - y

Something I wrote earlier on this very topic @Terry Zarsoff

[/QUOTE]

I do not think the club will ever relocate in any foreseeable timeframe. There is no evidence of that and again, the FC constitution prevents that from happening. The Penns bought in knowing that that was a hard and fast requirement.

My concerns are that attempts to ‘de-Manlyfy’ like this latest one, ultimately lead to another dead end. We could be back here in a few years time because Penn, based on history, dies not have the patience to build up the club for long term success.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8