New Coaching Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
How do you know that it was poorly handled?

Its been already discussed MT. And its not a question as to whether the decision to end the coach's tenure was right or wrong. It was patently obvious they wanted Des out but they also obviously wanted to seem fair about it and therefore made up a whole range of demands, hoping I suspect that he would refuse. But he didn't and accepted the agreement according to reports and they then turned around and sacked him. They wanted to be seen as the good guys and it backfired. It became obvious they wanted him out all the time. Now that's OK if they felt they wanted a fresh start. Its their club. But this cloak and dagger routine made them look the villains. Seen these tactics many times before. Regrettably for the club, it ended up with serious mud on their faces publicly

Agree totally all we have is the media and they cannot be trusted.

They know the media is going to report what happens. Naive to think its not something that they are fully aware of. Whether the media got it right or not, the point is that the image portrayed suggested a mess. A good PR rep would know that and make sure such an image wasn't portrayed.

Its been already discussed MT. And its not a question as to whether the decision to end the coach's tenure was right or wrong. It was patently obvious they wanted Des out but they also obviously wanted to seem fair about it and therefore made up a whole range of demands, hoping I suspect that he would refuse. But he didn't and accepted the agreement according to reports and they then turned around and sacked him. They wanted to be seen as the good guys and it backfired. It became obvious they wanted him out all the time. Now that's OK if they felt they wanted a fresh start. Its their club. But this cloak and dagger routine made them look the villains. Seen these tactics many times before. Regrettably for the club, it ended up with serious mud on their faces publicly
Ok. I thought that in the negotiating process Des threw up a whole heap of demands ie the assistant coach he wanted the mentoring process, etc then at the 11th hour again from a negotiating perspective when he knew that this demands were not going to be met he accepted the original deal. Because he says that he accepted the original deal he argues that there is no reason to sack him. Remember also that he threaten to sue the club over the pride jersey matter until he discover that his own department knew all along and authorised it. Threatening your employer with legal action I would suggest is a career limiting move

I feel that Des may have benefitted by being more conciliatory and less dictatorial.

Just sayin’

Ok. I thought that in the negotiating process Des threw up a whole heap of demands ie the assistant coach he wanted the mentoring process, etc then at the 11th hour again from a negotiating perspective when he knew that this demands were not going to be met he accepted the original deal. Because he says that he accepted the original deal he argues that there is no reason to sack him. Remember also that he threaten to sue the club over the pride jersey matter until he discover that his own department knew all along and authorised it. Threatening your employer with legal action I would suggest is a career limiting move

I feel that Des may have benefitted by being more conciliatory and less dictatorial.

Just sayin’
Point taken MT. I'm not defending Des here, I'm questioning the handling of the issue by the club, and they've made some questionable decisions over recent years that understandably have many wondering about its effective management.

In a public business like this, image is almost as important as action. As noted there are a significant number on this site who weren't impressed. There was a petition put forward by supporters. There was a generally critical perspective by both major newspapers, as well as other media.

Whether the Manly club's action was justified or not, its very important to maintain the confidence of its members and supporters. Actions taken may be highlighted and perhaps manipulated by sections of the media for a good story, but that doesnt mean that what they are writing about has no validity. Hopefully, the new coach will get Manly off to a flying start and much of that angst will diminish. But if Manly falter, look out for a general outcry from members. I also wonder how many members will renew and frankly the main important ingredient about game is about the supporters

Point taken MT. I'm not defending Des here, I'm questioning the handling of the issue by the club, and they've made some questionable decisions over recent years that understandably have many wondering about its effective management.

In a public business like this, image is almost as important as action. As noted there are a significant number on this site who weren't impressed. There was a petition put forward by supporters. There was a generally critical perspective by both major newspapers, as well as other media.

Whether the Manly club's action was justified or not, its very important to maintain the confidence of its members and supporters. Actions taken may be highlighted and perhaps manipulated by sections of the media for a good story, but that doesnt mean that what they are writing about has no validity. Hopefully, the new coach will get Manly off to a flying start and much of that angst will diminish. But if Manly falter, look out for a general outcry from members. I also wonder how many members will renew and frankly the main important ingredient about game is about the supporters

Bearfax, as always you make some excellent points however rusted on supporters/members like me will never not support the team especially when the clean out was well and truly overdue. I’m nervous but really excited about the season ahead. If losing a few fair weather supporters is collateral damage so be it. They generally flip flop anyway. I’m sure when the team starts winning and the club drops this ridiculous siege mentality we will attract new members and supporters.

Bearfax, as always you make some excellent points however rusted on supporters/members like me will never not support the team especially when the clean out was well and truly overdue. I’m nervous but really excited about the season ahead. If losing a few fair weather supporters is collateral damage so be it. They generally flip flop anyway. I’m sure when the team starts winning and the club drops this ridiculous siege mentality we will attract new members and supporters.
Spot on.

If you are rusted you aren’t going anywhere.

Politics has played , and will continue to play a very large part in the football world and has for as long as I can remember.

Coaches come and go.
Players come and go.
Staff come and go.

Supporters remain.

Some will be pissed off but I absolutely assure everyone the moment we start winning games again , they’ll be back !!

Well said.

Fine and I admire your loyalty. I of course will continue to support the team, mainly because I've seen these happenings occur from time to time over the past 5-6 decades. Not sure what 'rusted' means and I hope you werent thinking I was criticising you. My comments were about the administration alone and its impact upon its most important commodity, the supporters. I also hope Manly comes out of this fine next year. Have high hopes for young players like Schuster, Koula, Weekes, Olakau'atu and also hope Saab learns from his defensive and at times positioning issues. He's a damn fast and clever winger. Hope Garrick sticks with us and Turbo has an uninjured season. And hoping Paseka recovers well. We need him.Will be interesting to see how Seibold handles this side and whether the skill he showed at Souths was no aberration

It’s going to be interesting, as both Seibold and Flanagan have demonstrated a belief in blooding young players, rather than to stick with the established group.

I think Jake will be prop (finally) and will play big minutes.

I think Weekes may surprise where he ‘pops up’ in the team and while Croker won ‘Players Player’, I don’t see him in the mix under these two, unless they change the style he plays and he can adapt.

I think ‘centres’ is going to be where the big changes occur.

In the forwards, I think Flanagan will build some mongrel in attack, whereas Seibold will build a strong defence structure.

Exciting times ahead and while I am sad Des has departed, given how much he has achieved at the club, it may have been time for a change, just like when he went to the Bulldogs.

I also think that player managers are going to see these appointments as a positive for their players in terms of experience and education.

Spot on.

If you are rusted you aren’t going anywhere.

Politics has played , and will continue to play a very large part in the football world and has for as long as I can remember.

Coaches come and go.
Players come and go.
Staff come and go.

Supporters remain.

Some will be pissed off but I absolutely assure everyone the moment we start winning games again , they’ll be back !!
Im sticking around, but Mr Slimeball ain't getting my cash just yet. I have a gut feeling there are a few more curve balls to be chucked in anger yet.

I don't understand why the Penns didn't offer Flanagan the Head Coach role, and Seiboldt the Assistant? .. That would've made more sense.
Things aren't always as they seem. And at times done for good reason.
That the combination is like chalk and cheese shows someone has given it great thought and it just might work.

Oh the irony. I just started watching invincible, the true story about what a basket case The Philadelphia Eagles were and they got some big time coach in the turn things around.the Eagles
after an initial hiccup start, he turned things around with an unknown barman. I thought, this could be an omen . We got rid of Des and got Seibold and we bought-an unknown player Condom, I mean Condon and he became a superstar lol. Ok you can start throwing the fruit now... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8