National Rugby League SHAME

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
images.jpeg

I know of family friends, which find it difficult to support their team every week because they just can't afford to attend the footy every week with four kids. The wife is a stay home Mum and he is the only bread winner in the household. Paying a mortgage, they struggle to find an extra $100- $150 a week to watch a live footy game every week, however, they all follow the NRL passionately. Also, some pensioners one would think may also struggle to pay these inflated prices, when costs could have been immediately cut by 70% years ago (that is some cut).

You start to wonder how V'landys can reduce costs by 70% all of a sudden (effective/immediately), when this could have been achieved much earlier. The savings, could have allowed more supporters struggling with ticket prices, ensuring they too, could attend games and follow their teams. Just goes to show the NRL never really gave two hoots about supporters, players and clubs.

Time for a Superleague...oh wait.

What’s really ironic is how one of the motivations for a breakaway comp in the mid-nineties was that some clubs apparently had way too much influence at head office.

Some of the then whinging clubs now have way too much influence (at least it appears that way) and another of the then ‘beneficiaries’ of Phillip Street’s largesse has repositioned itself and is doing nicely, thank you very much. The Sydney Roosters, come on down!

Plus the southern spawning of the Superleague War appears to have even more influence than Brisbane, prime mover of the said ‘war’. I wonder how the Broncos feel about that?

It's a bloody disgrace, this criminal has almost destroyed our game in his greed.

Divvying up the spoils amongst his fat cats at the top while having the hide to suggest certain clubs may have to relocate or fold due to financial struggles.

Meanwhile, the corrupt few agree to bail out St George, Newcastle & Titans when they struggle financially, inconsistently appling rules in regards to player market value, consistently turning a blind eye to blatant abuse of 3rd party payment loopholes by the favoured clubs at the same time going after lesser favoured clubs with a vengeance for minor/technical infractions etc.

The arrogance of the fat cats at the top is astounding.

Amazing that it took something like this epidemic to shut our game down & reveal just how corrupt the ruling body is.

Any wonder Beattie left after what, 1 season? He no doubt saw trouble in the near future - the sense of self-preservation within these rats is keen - but the King Rat Terd Greedburg allowed his arrogance to create a false sense of security - he probably thought he'd be well & truly a few steps up the political ladder before any of it came to light & that he could squirm his way out of it & blame it on someone else.

I hope this destroys any prospect of future employment for him!

You know, I'm not actually convinced that Greenturd voluntarily took his unpaid leave. I get the feeling that with all that is now coming out about how badly the NRL has mismanaged its finances under his watch ... he was told to take the leave.
I thought that too, otherwise why would the CEO take leave in the middle of a crisis. He has been stood down until he can be tried for his crimes against rugby league and it's supporters.

You know, I'm not actually convinced that Greenturd voluntarily took his unpaid leave. I get the feeling that with all that is now coming out about how badly the NRL has mismanaged its finances under his watch ... he was told to take the leave.
I’ve no doubt he was forced to voluntarily "fuuck off". Narcissistic scum like he is, actually think they’re in the right. You ask him, he’ll tell ya....not my fault.

And some were touting him as maybe a financial genius.

Bullsh1t...he is just a fraud.
Wasting money on crap like $100k logos, diamond rings, junkets, 2 referees, the BS bunker, scam and JT's testimonials, uncountable hangers-on, etc, etc,etc...with money he stole from the players fund and what should have been put into grassroots footy.

Hang the bastard.

I thought that too, otherwise why would the CEO take leave in the middle of a crisis. He has been stood down until he can be tried for his crimes against rugby league and it's supporters.

I more get the feeling that while he has been told to "voluntarily" take leave without pay, its more been done to let him try and save face because he's doing it for the "good of the game".

However, with what has been coming out ... I think the horse has already bolted on his reputation. He's done.

I more get the feeling that while he has been told to "voluntarily" take leave without pay, its more been done to let him try and save face because he's doing it for the "good of the game".

I have the feeling if it was about saving face it would have been Greenturd's idea, not offered to him. It looks to me that V Landys has been uncovering Greenturd's crap since he came on board and has effectively booted the turd before he can crap on about how it is not his fault. V Landys said 3 weeks ago that Greenturd was being set some "pretty hard KPI's". He knows what the turd has been doing.
I would be very surprised if we ever hear from the turd again.

Last edited:

"If" Kent is accurate the incompetence (or fraud) of the nrl gets more annoying every day.

To slash money to the clubs and then do basically sfa in cuts to head office is criminal. It once again took V'landy to get the 70% cut happening. That's right, the nrl head office was quite happy to tell clubs they get 300k each while at the same time doing bugger all cuts to head office.

Anyway, the above article goes into it.

Mornin' knuckleheads (and ladies)

Paul Kent: Todd Greenberg has much to answer over NRL’s squandered millions
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
March 30, 2020 8:47pm

Greenberg and Crawford might well be the greatest comedy duo since Abbott and Costello entertained us on our black and white television sets.
Abbott and Costello had a financial routine that reads like an NRL guidebook.

A woman emerges on the boardwalk to play the pea in the shell game and, pure as a lamb, she says she wants to wager $10.
Abbott, with a fist full of cash, turns to Costello, who thinks the mark is the woman.
“Have you got two tens for a five?” Abbott asks, and Costello gladly hands over two $10 dollar notes in exchange for a $5 note before it dawns.
“Wait a minute … What kind of fast one did you just give me?”
Abbott is crestfallen.
“Still beefy, huh?” he says.
“I’m your pal,” says Costello, “what are you trying to cheat me for?”

Fast hands and faster mouths are why the 16 clubs walked into Monday’s meeting with the NRL with their hands placed protectively over their wallets.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg and his chief financial officer Tony Crawford have basically evaporated any trust the game’s key earners, the 16 clubs and their players, have left in the game’s ability to run itself.
Years of financial cloak and dagger have finally been revealed at the NRL.

Last Tuesday Australian Rugby League chairman Peter V’landys threw open the books, showed clubs the NRL’s financial state, and said he believed he could honour their monthly payments of $1.18 million each until the end of July.
V’landys then handed it over to Greenberg and Crawford to do the details.

A day later, with V’landys absent, they reneged on V'landys offer, telling the clubs they would instead get $300,000 a month.

They argued the clubs were no longer paying the players so the clubs didn’t need the full freight. Damn their costs. The coaching staff sent home without pay, for instance.

Around this time the NRL met with the Rugby League Players Association and told them they had enough money to pay for April, but that was it. There was nothing more until November.
Soon after, the RLPA learned that the NRL had failed to pay an annual $5 million into their retirement funds for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The NRL defended itself by explaining their creative accounting.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement signed in 2018 calls only for the entire amount to be paid by the end of the 2022 broadcast deal, which shapes as a shocking year for the NRL, but means they forfeit any investment returns the money brings over the period as well as compound interest.
The players are the big losers in that one.

As well as the expected $25 million in players’ fund, the missing $6 million in the distressed clubs fund, which they could certainly do with now and the clubs discovered last week had also failed to be paid, the NRL also has to pay back the $49 million deferred loan from Fox Sports borrowed in 2018 when cash was short and the banks refused the game a $30 million loan.

Rugby league was not always bad at managing its money.
When the Super League war broke in 1994 several ARL big hitters assembled at the war room at Phillip St headquarters to determine exactly what they had to fight with.
The boss of Optus reckoned he could get $600 or $700 million to try to defeat the News Corp plunge.
Kerry Packer asked his financial advisor how much the Packer empire had and, a man who knew the value of wealth, the money man told Packer he would tell him later. He realised Optus had just given him the keys to the safe.

Packer then asked ARL chairman Ken Arthurson how much money the game had in the bank.
“We’ve got about $20 million,” Arthurson said. “You should love that.”
The ARL had a 20 team competition in 1994, a broadcast deal worth just $8 million a year, and yet had $20 million in the bank.

This current NRL has a 16-team competition, a broadcast deal worth $360 million a year, and has chewed through about $4 billion in the Commission era and saved about $30 million.
It took V’landys to head back into League Central last Friday to fix it again.

It seemed while the NRL had taken an axe to the clubs’ and players’ wages they had attacked their own finances with nothing more severe than nose clippers.

V’landys slashed spending at the NRL Friday morning and on Monday upped the players payments from the $12.4 million that Greenberg and Crawford could provide to $19.2 million, or basically an extra month.
He also upped the club payments to a one-off $2.5 million cheque that is above what they thought they would get, but still puts tremendous strain on clubs.

The NRL is considering borrowing up to $150 million to get through the current crisis and has told clubs, if the loan is approved, they can then borrow from them to meet their costs.
The clubs are stunned.
“They mismanaged their funds, and now can’t afford to pay us, and now they want us to borrow from them,” said one club boss.
Money comes and money goes, and where it goes nobody knows. It’s all slight of hand.

Abbott and Costello got it right.
“All right,” says Abbott, seemingly aware the ruse is up, “forget about it.”
“Here’s your five, give me back my two tens.”
And Costello hands over his two tens.
It is like an NRL manual at present.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11