National Rugby League SHAME

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The missing $10M that could ‘fracture the relationship’ between NRL and its players
The NRL has short-changed its players’ retirement fund to the tune of $10 million, instead using the money to fund operational costs for more than two years.

Speaking on Sunday to Fox League Live, Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper revealed the shortfall as the league aims to forge a path out of the coronavirus pandemic.

“There’s supposed to be $30 million in that fund at the moment but as it sits right now there’s only $20 million in there,” Hooper said.

N R Leadership of Arrogance and Incompetence

gettyimages-148466892-612x612.jpg

Dear Toddy,

I was just going about my usual business in this lock down environment and heard the news I had anticipated for a while now. I couldn't help but smile in hysterics, but I must admit I did have a little bit of concern (whether my grin was big and noticeable like your grin was, on the day you wanted to take our semi from Brokie off us and move it to Bank West).

The universe works in mysterious ways, and you had your laugh at our Sea Eagles expense for many years. Boy am I anticipating to see this movie unfold. Good luck because you will need it, popcorn anyone!!

Attachments

• smiley-face-with-mustache-and-thumbs-up-smiley-sign-stock-image-blue-face-32433155.jpg
    smiley-face-with-mustache-and-thumbs-up-smiley-sign-stock-image-blue-face-32433155.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The missing $10M that could ‘fracture the relationship’ between NRL and its players
The NRL has short-changed its players’ retirement fund to the tune of $10 million, instead using the money to fund operational costs for more than two years.

Speaking on Sunday to Fox League Live, Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper revealed the shortfall as the league aims to forge a path out of the coronavirus pandemic.

“There’s supposed to be $30 million in that fund at the moment but as it sits right now there’s only $20 million in there,” Hooper said.

He's ****ed ...... deserves it for many reasons but this is deservedly the nail in the coffin. This is bad.

Big headline, then DCE doesn't get a mention. Predictable "He's all about the money comments" from the usual cretins....
Daly Cherry-Evans takes aim at NRL over players’ missing millions
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
March 29, 2020 7:55pm

Daly Cherry-Evans is not known for his outspoken ways.
But the Manly skipper sure led a fiery showdown between the game’s senior players and NRL heavyweights on Sunday.
Demanding to know where the missing million have gone, it was a marathon two-and-a-half hour meeting Rugby League Players Association chief executive Clint Newton labelled “tough” and “uncomfortable”.
Newton said it also showed that the game has “grown up a lot in the last week”, as everyone comes together to try to save the game from a financial collapse amid the coronavirus crisis.
But about 30 players took it in turns to direct their frustration at NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, who only took over the role from Peter Beattie late last year.
The players have not only had to cop a massive pay cut of 75 per cent, but they have also now discovered that the NRL has short-changed their retirement fund to the tune of $10 million.
Daly Cherry-Evans has taken aim at the NRL. Picture: Brendon Thorne/AAP
That money has instead gone into NRL operational costs for the past two years.
It comes amid revelations that the NRL has been spending $181 million annually just putting together the regular season rounds, finals series and State of Origin.
Astonishingly, the whopping $181 million does not include payments to players or clubs.
South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly and Brisbane’s Paul White were also on the phone hook-up along with representatives from each club including Wade Graham, Russell Packer, Joel Thompson and Chris Lawrence, who all had their say.
After an initial low-ball offer of $12.4 million last week, V’landys stepped into the negotiations to try and fix a mess.
That initial offer has since been upped to $20 million, which the players were last night expected to agree on.
But they also want a written guarantee that they will be given their 29.5 per cent cut of any revenue that might come into the game in coming months.
The NRL needs the players to agree to their offer before they can put it to a commission meeting on Monday that comes before the showdown with the NRL clubs later in the day.
Newton conceded it was a giant step forward compared to the lack of transparency in the past.
“It is like any good relationship, you need to be really open and honest and transparent,” Newton said.
It was crystal clear to all on the hook-up there was a huge lack of trust and a feeling that the governing body had treated them with a degree of arrogance in the past.
The players don’t have an option right now other than to try and work out a compromise.
“It is not about not telling the truth,” Newton said.
“It is the fact that we haven’t had an ability to form our own position based on transparency.
“Sometimes we need to hit these type of hurdles for there to be a recalibration.
“That is the part that I have to commend both Peter and Todd.
“To be on a zoom call with the best part of 20 or 30 players and be totally prepared to answer any questions that players had along with a couple of club CEOs, I think that has never happened in the game before.

Robyn
7 hours ago
It’s all about the money with DCE. Just ask the Titans

John
8 hours ago
Cherry Evans talking about trust, ask him about his trust with the Titans.....

Daniel
9 hours ago
Dale Cherry Evans is a spoilt, greedy man who doesn’t realise his world has changed. He builds nothing, contributes nothing, and his last great achievement was to betray the Gold Coast for money

FMD

Big headline, then DCE doesn't get a mention. Predictable "He's all about the money comments" from the usual cretins....

But the Manly skipper sure led a fiery showdown between the game’s senior players and NRL heavyweights on Sunday.
Demanding to know where the missing million have gone, it was a marathon two-and-a-half hour meeting Rugby League Players Association chief executive Clint Newton labelled “tough” and “uncomfortable”.
Newton said it also showed that the game has “grown up a lot in the last week”, as everyone comes together to try to save the game from a financial collapse amid the coronavirus crisis.
But about 30 players took it in turns to direct their frustration at NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, who only took over the role from Peter Beattie late last year.
The players have not only had to cop a massive pay cut of 75 per cent, but they have also now discovered that the NRL has short-changed their retirement fund to the tune of $10 million.
It comes amid revelations that the NRL has been spending $181 million annually just putting together the regular season rounds, finals series and State of Origin.
Astonishingly, the whopping $181 million does not include payments to players or clubs.
South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly and Brisbane’s Paul White were also on the phone hook-up along with representatives from each club including Wade Graham, Russell Packer, Joel Thompson and Chris Lawrence, who all had their say.
After an initial low-ball offer of $12.4 million last week, V’landys stepped into the negotiations to try and fix a mess.
That initial offer has since been upped to $20 million, which the players were last night expected to agree on.
But they also want a written guarantee that they will be given their 29.5 per cent cut of any revenue that might come into the game in coming months.
The NRL needs the players to agree to their offer before they can put it to a commission meeting on Monday that comes before the showdown with the NRL clubs later in the day.
Newton conceded it was a giant step forward compared to the lack of transparency in the past.
“It is like any good relationship, you need to be really open and honest and transparent,” Newton said.
It was crystal clear to all on the hook-up there was a huge lack of trust and a feeling that the governing body had treated them with a degree of arrogance in the past.
The players don’t have an option right now other than to try and work out a compromise.
“It is the fact that we haven’t had an ability to form our own position based on transparency.
“Sometimes we need to hit these type of hurdles for there to be a recalibration.
“To be on a zoom call with the best part of 20 or 30 players and be totally prepared to answer any questions that players had along with a couple of club CEOs, I think that has never happened in the game before.

Robyn
7 hours ago

John
8 hours ago

Daniel
9 hours ago
Dale Cherry Evans is a spoilt, greedy man who doesn’t realise his world has changed. He builds nothing, contributes nothing, and his last great achievement was to betray the Gold Coast for money

FMD

Well, the fact it's titans fans feeling the sting gladdens me a bit. lol

And the fact people will miss the whole bigger picture of the crises just to post an anti dce comment just shows how galactically stupid some people are... and it's the reason I laugh at any residual titans pain.

No doubt greenturd will already have put together a list of people he can throw under the bus trying to shirk the blame from himself. Hopefully the unpaid leave he is about to take will be permanent

This does look particularly bad in Toddy 's case , when it was announced or claimed a couple of weeks ago or so that it was a 30 mil amount fund and now confirmed not correct , it was either a case of blatant misinformation or incompetence on his part . There should be some mandatory attention given to this anomaly [ and just not focusing on Greenberg ] and while they are at it , publicize how much cost and resources was directed at the witch hunt style investigation into Manly "s supposed cap breach No blame should be apportioned to V " landys , just hope that he can continue to play a leading role guiding the code through this present drama and chooses to continue in his current role well into the future .

How TF is the NRL spending $180MM per year. That is outrageous.

My god, think how much more money could have gone to grassroots footy, so numbers could go up.

This is ineptitude of the highest order, and they skim money as well from the retirement fund. This is what happens when you put an underqualified rsl club operator in charge of a massive corporation - farewell Greenturd, you are gone.

What about when Glenn Stewart wanted to stay at Manly in 2014 for unders and Greenberg wouldn't allow it. Talk about trying to inflate player payments himself.

Greenberg is gone. Everyone knows it. His tenure at the NRL will end in disgrace.

Just another in the list of "F U Manly" decisions Greenturd has made.

The thing that still pisses me off the most is the way he handled things when Doesn't-Matta basically got hit with a feather after it emerged that they had been doing a Melbourne-esk salary cap rort, yet we copped 2 years worth of salary cap penalties for what they even admitted was nothing more than technical breaches of TPA rules. Technical breaches that were really stretching it as far as actually finding that Manly had done anything wrong.

We copped more punishment for doing much less. And why? Because the Worms are seen as essential in the turf war between league, Aussie rules and soccer in Western Sydney. He didn't want their fans to become "disillusioned" by punishing the club too hard. Yet he didn't give two hoots about disillusioning Manly fans.

Greenturd being exposed for the self serving prick that he has been is almost (only almost) as good as Manly winning the premiership. And since we're not likely to see a Grand Final in 2020 ... I'll take that as a very big win.

Last edited:

Robyn
7 hours ago

John
8 hours ago

Daniel
9 hours ago

FMD

Just another in the list of "F U Manly" decisions Greenturd has made.

The thing that still pisses me off about the way he handled things is when Doesn't-Matta basically got hit with a feather after it emerged that they had been doing a Melbourne-esk salary cap rort, yet we copped 2 years worth of salary cap penalties for what they even admitted was nothing more than technical breaches of TPA rules. Technical breaches that were really stretching it as far as actually finding that Manly had done anything wrong.

We copped more punishment for doing much less. And why? Because the Worms are seen as essential in the turf war between league, Aussie rules and soccer in Western Sydney. He didn't want their fans to become "disillusioned" by punishing the club too hard. Yet he didn't give two hoots about disillusioning Manly fans.

Greenturd being exposed for the self serving prick that he has been is almost (only almost) as good as Manly winning the premiership. And since we're not likely to see a Grand Final in 2020 ... I'll take that as a very big win.
@HoldenV8, Teflon's pursuit of Manly came across as very personal. I can only assume that he was pissed at having not signed any Manly players (other than T-Rex) after poaching our coach. Perhaps he was promised Foran and other players, they didn't come and he was left with egg on his face?

That's my working hypothesis; as soon as we saw Hooper and the other NRL goons prosecuting the NRL's case for them, rather than letting the weight of the supposed actions speak for themselves, it said to me that the whole matter was 'substance lite'. I am pretty sure if the TPAs truly were guaranteed as alleged, at least one player would have sued the club for payment. It's not as if there was a lack of disillusioned former players at the centre of it. I am sure the Club knew it was complete BS, but when there is the risk of relocation etc, why put a larger target on your back.

While I am at it and feeling like a bit of a rant, why is it that every time there is a 'tricky' issue, the Storm always seem to be in there with the NRL working on matters of policy. E.g., when the NRL was considering options to keep the season going, it was reported that the Storm were presenting to the NRL on the options. When the "No Fault (We Reckon Your Guilty As) Stand-down Policy" was being implemented, the Storm were front and centre supporting the NRL and even were a NRL witness in the proceedings. The relationship between the Storm and the NRL has become way too close, in my view.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4