Moving forward with Beaver

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Menzies gets back to what he does best

Jason Avedissian

04Jul07

THE outcome of a move back into the forwards will determine if Steve Menzies will play at Manly in 2008.

Menzies is expected to return to the pack for the Sea Eagles in Saturday night's round 17 NRL clash against the Roosters at Brookvale Oval.

The veteran forward has been filling in for Manly in the centres since making his comeback from injury three matches ago.

Menzies has been forced into the position due to the unavailability of centres Steve Matai (neck), Jamie Lyon and Steven Bell who have both been on Origin duty.

But on Saturday evening the great man is expected to be back in the pack where he belongs.

``It would be good to get closer to the action and play in the forwards a bit,'' Menzies said after training at the Sydney Sports Academy in Narrabeen yesterday.

``I'm happy to do whatever Dessie (coach Des Hasler) thinks, but I would prefer playing in the forwards.

``It's been hard with Origin and Steve Matai being injured, it's been tough.

``If I have to play there, I'll do it.''

Menzies said he will use the time up front to decide if he will play beyond 2007.

The 33-year-old is contracted for next season but has the option of hanging up his boots.

``It would be good to get back in the forwards and see how I'm going, it's a different kind of fitness,'' Menzies said.

``Getting in the forwards and playing a full game in there will be a good test of where I'm at.''

Menzies' form among the backs has been lukewarm.

``It's been a little bit up and down, a couple of good things, but a few things to work on,'' he admitted.

Hasler yesterday named Menzies in the centres alongside Bell with Matai again out injured.

However, Lyon is tipped to start in the centres, sending Menzies back among his mates up front

Sounds like his 'injury' was to cover him being dropped from the blues. I guess you can't name him in the side until the last minute or it looks too obvious.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4