Morgan ‘Lance’ Boyle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sports betting agencies would have good odds for Lance to play less than 5 games for the Sea Eagles in 2023, but they don't know who he is...

What if... Des and Don leaving Manly was the magic spell to unlock Boyle's first injury free season!?

I actually rated him in 'that game' this year

Rainbow Magic GIF by alimacdoodle

Probably more inclined to keep Davey instead of Lance but maybe a bit cheaper . Hopefully able to shake off his injury prone background , other capable players have at some latter stage of their careers . Must be in some reasonable shape now , can match it at that higher level when he is not carrying injury . Club taking a bit of a punt that his body can hold up better , No doubt a cheap option again but still taking up cap space and a bit of money , hopefully things can take a turn for the better

Was a waste of a roster spot last year and will be a waste again this year. 10 games in 3 years with a strong 20 minutes against the Roosters the only thing to write home about.

The bloke hasn't even turned out for reserve grade in all this time and we don't get any updates about his injuries, yet he keeps finding his way back in the squad. With our lack of depth in recent years surely it would be better giving his spot to a younger player who might actually play?

Was a waste of a roster spot last year and will be a waste again this year. 10 games in 3 years with a strong 20 minutes against the Roosters the only thing to write home about.

The bloke hasn't even turned out for reserve grade in all this time and we don't get any updates about his injuries, yet he keeps finding his way back in the squad. With our lack of depth in recent years surely it would be better giving his spot to a younger player who might actually play?
I wonder if part of what you say says more about how the club has functioned than Boyle himself. "Reserves" have become a bit of joke and injury management a bit of a mystery for supporters.

I wonder if part of what you say says more about how the club has functioned than Boyle himself. "Reserves" have become a bit of joke and injury management a bit of a mystery for supporters.
Agree and that was more my point - crazy to me that someone like Boyle can supposedly be on the injury list and not playing ressies, but then randomly pop up for one game when we are low on troops, then back to being injured.

Similarly we had no idea about Schuster's injury early in the year, Sironen last year and a few of Tom's injuries over the years. Hopefully we get a bit more transparency with the new staff coming into the club

Smart signing. He's potentially a beast, hopefully he can still run. (Not sure what parts of his body get hurt as he's so low-profile they usually don't even bother to identify his injuries these days.)
If he gets a few goes in NRL I've no doubt he'll be out to make them count.
I agree that he's got definite ability but his fragility is his biggest downside, if he can overcome his physical problems he could become a much needed solution to our forward problems at a bargain price, I live in hope

I agree that he's got definite ability but his fragility is his biggest downside, if he can overcome his physical problems he could become a much needed solution to our forward problems at a bargain price, I live in hope
Just on the squad size, are we bound by the NRL to have a squad size of 30 players. Was thinking back to last year, not sure we used everyone in the squad, and this will probably happen again in 23. We wont use everyone, why not just have 27 in the squad, 10 extras, 5 backs and 5 fwds. Leaving us with a bit of spare cash at 3x130k total saved 390k, what we could spend with this, chuck in another 10k, make it 400k buys a really good fwd. Thinking outside the square...

For mine Lance has never reached his potential for various reasons. I hope he can hit his ceiling this season. Props get better with age and experience. Its up to him really and hopefully he has some luck this season.
Agree in theory, TE. The problem with Boyle being that, because he's barely played footy at ANY level over the last three years, he's got the age but not the experience.

Just on the squad size, are we bound by the NRL to have a squad size of 30 players. Was thinking back to last year, not sure we used everyone in the squad, and this will probably happen again in 23. We wont use everyone, why not just have 27 in the squad, 10 extras, 5 backs and 5 fwds. Leaving us with a bit of spare cash at 3x130k total saved 390k, what we could spend with this, chuck in another 10k, make it 400k buys a really good fwd. Thinking outside the square...

The salary cap money is provided nrl ... if you don't spend it all .. you have to return the unused portion.

Can't remember the dates, but usually have to name 29 early in the season and then 30 mid year or so. So, yep nrl require 30 players in main squad.

With his size, I guess Boyle is ahead of De Luis as a depth signing. Also, it makes sense not to retain Roumanos as we have a couple of talented young props, Tuitavake & Fifita, waiting for opportunities.

We currently have the following listed as props on our official site as part of our top 30 players (really 28 names - maybe two more signings to go?)
  • Alec Tuitavake
  • Ethan Bullemore
  • Jacob Sykes
  • Josh Aloiai
  • Morgan Boyle
  • Sean Keppie
  • Taniela Paseka
  • Toafofoa Sipley
  • Villiami Fifita
That's 9 players out of 28, or 32.1% of the total current squad. All props......though only 6 of the 9 have ever played first grade in that position.
Some will immediately be shouting, "we don't need quantity, we need quality!"

Indeed - and to an extent, I agree. And I'm not even going to go into the "Jake to Prop" thing, which has been spoken about........a lot.

It does speak volumes to a philosophy about not paying huge $$ these days for forwards - Jake aside. And I'm not saying that Jake is not worth what he's on.

My conclusions are two:

I really hope that at least 5 or 6 of the above have breakout years, because we're going to need it.

Also, I hope that (when everyone knows what the cap really is in 2023) we can fill the final two spots with (a) a versatile, highly competent spine player (how about.... Official NRL profile of Adam Keighran for Sydney Roosters | NRL.com), and an exciting outside back ( Official NRL profile of Dominic Young for Newcastle Knights | NRL.com ).

I know - 'tell 'im he's dreamin'...............

Last season was strange for morgan. Never sighted, never mentioned from seasons start. We have a major personal issue, he shows up for one week when we are busted and skint and is never sighted again

the coincidence has been too much for me and nagging in my melon.

did he play injured, was he sidelined for another reason, but he seemed unavailable for every minute but the pride round. just not buying it……i could, but still kicking tyres

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4