• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's dce's next contract dilema (titans saga) that I am mostly annoyed about. Even today it is crazy money and we have since found out he is not even a dominant, organising halfback and was living off the direction of foz, stewart and co for years. Foran ****ed us over as well but he was probably angry about the treatment of senior players which I think is fair enough
Mate you have made a heap of points that sure annoy you but are a bit distant from the reality of life IMHO.
You quoted a lot of Watmough so there's your first problem. He went to Parra FFS. Regardless of what actually happened hes been bahatching about the club for years.
DcE was on the way to the GC yes. Thats until Foran screwed the club and forced its hand. Sure they could have had both their halves depart and perhaps that would have been a good option to rebuild. We wouldn't have made that GF v the roosters had we gone that way.
Look im a supporter of DCE but I'm first to admit that he's playing pretty poorly. You can blame the lifetime deal all you want but the club offered it so why would you not take it? I'm sure you would.
Perhaps the bigger picture here is that longterm deals need to be better organised. Sure offer big money but put clauses in as per performance and break clauses.
I will be interested to see how Tamololo at the cows is performing in 4 years time once he's busted up and a bit older. Taking up so much coin was always going to be a danger.

It's dce's next contract dilema (titans saga) that I am mostly annoyed about. Even today it is crazy money and we have since found out he is not even a dominant, organising halfback and was living off the direction of foz, stewart and co for years. Foran ****ed us over as well but he was probably angry about the treatment of senior players which I think is fair enough
Harry, in whatever career lies before you, I strongly encourage you to always seek to be paid what you think you are worth. If your employer isn’t paying you what you think you are worth (or what the market deems you are worth), then you are only doing yourself a disservice by not looking elsewhere.

In the ‘real’ world, people shop their services all the time looking for a salary increase elsewhere or leverage to get a raise from their current employer. Footy clubs are no different and I don’t know why we should expect players to act differently to other professionals.

As for DCE’s contract, there were only ever two realities: either he honour the contract with the Titans or Manly pay a premium for the backflip. I don’t blame him extracting that premium given the crap that he knew would come his way. And didn’t he cop it!

So in my view, DCE never held the club to ransom. It was always the club’s decision to make him the offers that he accepted. I work with listed companies and it’s always the board that is held accountable for executive remuneration, never the executives for accepting the offers that are made to them. And that’s the way it should be.

Harry, in whatever career lies before you, I strongly encourage you to always seek to be paid what you think you are worth. If your employer isn’t paying you what you think you are worth (or what the market deems you are worth), then you are only doing yourself a disservice by not looking elsewhere.

In the ‘real’ world, people shop their services all the time looking for a salary increase elsewhere or leverage to get a raise from their current employer. Footy clubs are no different and I don’t know why we should expect players to act differently to other professionals.

As for DCE’s contract, there were only ever two realities: either he honour the contract with the Titans or Manly pay a premium for the backflip. I don’t blame him extracting that premium given the crap that he knew would come his way. And didn’t he cop it!

So in my view, DCE never held the club to ransom. It was always the club’s decision to make him the offers that he accepted. I work with listed companies and it’s always the board that is held accountable for executive remuneration, never the executives for accepting the offers that are made to them. And that’s the way it should be.
I feel it's different in careers where people scrape by to make a living. But between 750K and 1.3 million for a player it is all excess. They are lucky enough they have made a successful career playing sport. imo Money can't buy a legacy, and greed can't buy success. I think in thirty years time dce will be disappointed that he hasn't won more premierships than he would have if he hadn't been so money-orientated and that not only will he could have contributed toward not having these experiences of premiership wins and finals again, but his legacy will also be diluted.

I think it is sad that people are so obsessed in excess. Obviously dce isn't our only problem but imo that contract changed the culture of our club so much.

I think im signing off silvertails for a while cause Im just very frustrated with the state of the club and its obvious my whinging about player x's greed and player y's attack and player z's **** haircut is not doing anything any good. I'll be back when we are winning and have nothing to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morale around club has been bad since we started being the doormat of the nrl.

Our current captain quit the club signed with another than backflipped when we gave him almost ownership of the club.

We have a coach who walked out on us for dollars when we should have been celebrating the premiership.

Now Foran who shat on the club seemingly being welcomed back not because he wants back and loves the club but like Hasler had no option.

We are the no option club in the nrl. If you can't get a go anywhere get your manager to call us.

Time for the club to set some new rules you do the crap on us you are never welcomed back.

Club will never find it's spirit again until DCE,Hasler and Foran are all gone and we never repeat the same mistakes.

Morale around club has been bad since we starting being the doormat of the nrl.

Our current captain quit the club signed with another than backflipped when we gave him almost ownership of the club.

We have a coach who walked out on us for dollars when we should have been celebrating the premiership.

Now we Foran who shat on the club seemingly being welcomed back not because he wants back and loves the club but like Hasler had no option.

We are the no option club in the nrl. If you can't get a go anywhere get your manager to call us.

Time for the club to set some new rules you do the crap on us you never are welcomed back.

Club will never find it's spirit again until DCE,Hasler and Foran are all gone and we never repeat the same mistakes.
If I could I would give you a thousand winners. You can add penn family to that list.

(sorry this is a rant)

I don't quite understand why this post is receiving any dislikes. What has dce done since the end of 2014 that places him as the protected species he is today? Other than his occasional left-footed field goals. What Choc Watmough mentioned about dce has stuck with me and rings true.

If I squirreled my way into a 1.3 million dollar contract to be a dominant halfback I'd make sure I put in as much effort as he does, no **** sherlock. I hate when people use the effort card to defend dce. But while there's effort of course I wouldn't call it passion, because he wouldn't have signed this contract and had this whole fiasco if he was. He sold his house and was already on the plane to the Gold Coast - before finding out he could hold us to ransom and gain a contract closer to Jonathan Thurston and Andrew Johns combined. He deserves no loyalty or support for what he has done and how he has performed. Yet he will remain here until his contract expires, no one will do anything about it. And when that day comes where he rides off into the sunset we will continue to get dragged through the mud.
______
“I said to him ‘mate, you know what we’ve (the senior playing group) sacrificed to stay together, to be successful.
“Your time will come’ and he just looked me straight in the eye and went ‘nah, not turning up’. So I just went ‘f*** you’.”

Watmough’s falling out with Cherry-Evans began in 2012 the year after the pair won a premiership together.

“He just signed a four-year deal and he didn’t turn up to training,” Watmough explained.
“He said his manager told him not to.
“His idiot manager signed him for five years on no money because nobody thought he was good.
“In the end Geoff Toovey succumbed to the board and he was put on $500,000 after being on $50,000.
“Toovey chose the board and one player over the rest of the players and that’s where he lost me.”
_______

Then dce signed his 1.3 or whatever million dollar contract to be our Jonathan Thurston/Andrew Johns. No matter what 5/8 works with him he has never organised our attack like any other 900K-$1 million halfback does (Cleary, Keary, Thurston, Cronk, or even cheaper options like D. Brown and S. Johnson), yet sells to the media that he is the second coming of ****ing christ. I love the contrast of his little team huddles with his constant whinging to refs and slow play the balls while milking for penalties, his increasingly misjudged defencive reads, his bog-average kicking game and his under-12's attack. People can not be defend dce's performances with his 'effort' or 'heart', he is a selfish, insensitive 5/8 (a halfback's bitch).
That's a fair spray. I thought I was a little underwhelmed by DCE and his value for money, but you have taken it up a notch. :oops:

Money isn't everything mate - I have some very well paid jobs that I was miserable in. Better to take a bit under & live somewhere nice. Who'd want to live in Canberra or Melbourne?

Money isn't everything mate - I have some very well paid jobs that I was miserable in. Better to take a bit under & live somewhere nice. Who'd want to live in Canberra or Melbourne?
You are right, money isn’t everything and I was wrong to imply that it is. Thanks. But it isn’t unimportant (double negative, I know...).

I just think it’s important for people to know what their labour is worth and that is more the point I was trying to make. What is done with that knowledge is not my business but I think it is completely reasonable for folk to look to be paid market, if not maximise the value of their labour.

I agree with you about The Can, but I lived in Melbourne for 12 months and quite liked it. Wouldn’t want to be there now though!

You are right, money isn’t everything and I was wrong to imply that it is. Thanks. But it isn’t unimportant (double negative, I know...).

I just think it’s important for people to know what their labour is worth and that is more the point I was trying to make. What is done with that knowledge is not my business but I think it is completely reasonable for folk to look to be paid market, if not maximise the value of their labour.

I agree with you about The Can, but I lived in Melbourne for 12 months and quite liked it. Wouldn’t want to be there now though!
It is so inflated. Find your value in yourself and money is insignificant. I don't need amounts of money or concepts like "market" to determine my personal worth as a human being, emotionally, physically, mentally and/or spiritually. It's a clap trap of lazy belief systems. If it works for you or others, so be it. We are capable of so much more as humans, we sell ourselves so short.

I feel it's different in careers where people scrape by to make a living. But between 750K and 1.3 million for a player it is all excess. They are lucky enough they have made a successful career playing sport. imo Money can't buy a legacy, and greed can't buy success. I think in thirty years time dce will be disappointed that he hasn't won more premierships than he would have if he hadn't been so money-orientated and that not only will he could have contributed toward not having these experiences of premiership wins and finals again, but his legacy will also be diluted.

I think it is sad that people are so obsessed in excess. Obviously dce isn't our only problem but imo that contract changed the culture of our club so much.

I think im signing off silvertails for a while cause Im just very frustrated with the state of the club and its obvious my whinging about player x's greed and player y's attack and player z's **** haircut is not doing anything any good. I'll be back when we are winning and have nothing to contribute.
Respect, Harry. I think you have raised some valuable issues and full respect to you. That post alone made me feel human and happy again.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4