• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As Manly's performances have fallen away, attention here has focussed on shortcomings of various individual players, structure of our salary cap, and whether the coach is past it. All of which are fair points for debate, but I suspect what has really cruelled our chances this year was an accumulation of circumstances that have ended up draining the confidence and positivity from our squad.
Having Fainu rubbed out with a cloud of jail hanging over his head - that must be a massive blow, first to lose the player but equally as a distraction, a worry about their teammate, and a general concern about whether his predicament indicated possible cultural issues in the squad. You only have to look at the Dragons, who were riding quite high by the end of 2018 and the future looked bright, then Debellin was charged and they have been pretty much woeful since then.
Add to that the serious injuries to Turbo and Walker.
Every club has had new challenges this year due to the pandemic. Late last year our guys were brave, organised, and a bit fantastic but I think those circumstances have combined to end up deflating us a bit mentally. And at NRL level, even a small lack of intent can be critical. It's a tough competition.
I still think we have a lot of talented players, with a couple of spots obviously needing bolstering, and we have a good coach, but turning around the mindset will be a big part of the challenge for next year. The Dragons have found it a bridge too far.

And neither would being led by a 1.3 million dollar cat that panicks in attack like an under 12 and rushes in in defence yet still runs these stupid team huddles with him in the centre trying to "set an example" as this great (myth) leader he is!
The same as when Jake grabs everyone in a huddle and barks orders, trying to lift everyone. If it's not working for DCE it's definitely not working for Jake either.

The same as when Jake grabs everyone in a huddle and barks orders, trying to lift everyone. If it's not working for DCE it's definitely not working for Jake either.
I am in amazement how a Hasler coached team can perform like this. Something is not right, h3 commands such high standards.

Very good point @SeaEagleRock8

I said as much a few days ago it hasn’t looked a happy camp for some time and whilst it’s easy to point out one issue it may well be a combination of a whole lot.

In my opinion the #PURGE needs to be done quickly and with respect and the new team brought together after they have their holidays so they can meld before next year.

I also believe it’s very possible that Des’s rigid selection policy may well have been about loyalty and trying to pull them together than football logic.

2021 is another year , I’m not slitting wrists just yet but there’s no doubt the heat is well and truly on.

Been saying it for a while, this team lacks leadership. DCE might be Captain by name but he is no leader. We need some strong characters who are prepared to set a standard and hold others to that standard. Running around like a blue arsed fly, all frantic and panicky, trying to get involved in every play isn't leadership. Watmough used to do that, they never made him Captain, but you would never fault Choc's effort.

It seems pretty clear that the first 5 years of our 5 year plan haven't worked, so now we are into the second 5 years of our 5 year plan. Looks like we will be going down the youth path next year, Schuster, Funa, Hoppa, Fainu, Guaca, Cust, Harper, Suli....maybe some others. What this squad really needs is a BK signing - Kennedy or Kite type, doesn't matter. Just someone who will lay down a culture, set a standard, meet that standard and hold others to that standard.

Have thought about the Foran signing and whether that ticks that box ?? Foz could be inspirational, a follow me type leader. He definitely has links to the past core group that was responsible for the culture that gave us a decade of success. Maybe he can resurrect that ??

Otherwise we need to buy someone who can fill that leadership role.

Fainu cant have helped. But if we look at the season we were attitude A + for about the first 10 weeks. Somewher around there after losing turbo we had maybe 2 good weeks in them

Then free fall

The team looks gassed in attitude as opposed to fitness. What thats about , im not sure. From a fans view it had a familiar feel. The players must understand the teams ability. They seem to need to start well, try and score a hundred points , if that fails its here we go again,

My feel is the team doesnt believe it has many points in them

DCE has one more year on his deal before the two year option (in his favour) kicks in. There is a big chance he will test the market next year. Who knows where that might end up.

Fainu cant have helped. But if we look at the season we were attitude A + for about the first 10 weeks. Somewher around there after losing turbo we had maybe 2 good weeks in them

Then free fall

The team looks gassed in attitude as opposed to fitness. What thats about , im not sure. From a fans view it had a familiar feel. The players must understand the teams ability. They seem to need to start well, try and score a hundred points , if that fails its here we go again,

My feel is the team doesnt believe it has many points in them
My take is that after that Canberra win, before Tom and Walker injured team was on a high, very confident, defense was solid and they were talking us up as the dark horse. Since then I feel the team is feeling utterly, utterly disappointed how this season has turned out. They all expected and should of been playing finals but slowly as the season has gone on its taken its toll. A lot of games we should of won to keep us in the hunt and morale high, but we just couldn't even win those very winnable games and you can see mentally they are done. I still remain positive we can turn it around next year. Shame about Addin, think his head is not right after what he copped in the media, would of been nice to see Faniu around the ruck feeding off Marty and Addin and Tom and DCE running off the back of it. Just need to get the team spirit back

DCE has one more year on his deal before the two year option (in his favour) kicks in. There is a big chance he will test the market next year. Who knows where that might end up.

I wonder what the date is where he has to activate his option.

Been saying it for a while, this team lacks leadership. DCE might be Captain by name but he is no leader. We need some strong characters who are prepared to set a standard and hold others to that standard. Running around like a blue arsed fly, all frantic and panicky, trying to get involved in every play isn't leadership. Watmough used to do that, they never made him Captain, but you would never fault Choc's effort.

It seems pretty clear that the first 5 years of our 5 year plan haven't worked, so now we are into the second 5 years of our 5 year plan. Looks like we will be going down the youth path next year, Schuster, Funa, Hoppa, Fainu, Guaca, Cust, Harper, Suli....maybe some others. What this squad really needs is a BK signing - Kennedy or Kite type, doesn't matter. Just someone who will lay down a culture, set a standard, meet that standard and hold others to that standard.

Have thought about the Foran signing and whether that ticks that box ?? Foz could be inspirational, a follow me type leader. He definitely has links to the past core group that was responsible for the culture that gave us a decade of success. Maybe he can resurrect that ??

Otherwise we need to buy someone who can fill that leadership role.
Is Ben Kennedy available?

Then free fall
The win over Raiders took a lot out of them. We got thrashed by the Sharks a week later, then regrouped to beat the Knights at Brookie but just failed to get it done. I was at that game, AFB was sent off after full time, the players' frustration and despair was palpable. In reality, we've been unable to come back from that.

As to the Raiders game:

"Tom Trbojevic inspired Manly to a courageous 14-6 win against Canberra that coach Des Hasler labelled one of the best in the Sea Eagles history before joining the club's lengthy casualty list.

"Trbojevic scored a try and set up another after Manly were reduced to just 15 players within four minutes of kick-off, but then limped from the field early in the second half after clutching at his left hamstring.

"Senior Manly players repeatedly told their teammates it would be one of the best wins they would ever be involved in if they could hang on for the final 28 minutes without the NSW and Australian star... The Sea Eagles were already without prop Martin Taupau, centre Moses Suli and winger Jorge Taufua for the clash with last year’s grand finalists and within minutes of the kick-off Dylan Walker and Brad Parker had joined them on the sideline."

Yes I’ve been wondering if that’s a point ??

Given we know Fainu & Haumole are close friends (I think even related) & we know Haumole's brother was also involved (possibly is even who was stabbed) I dont see how harmony within the Polynesian playing group can be good.

Add to that AFB's seemingly sudden & unexplained exit & no sight of Haumole on the field & it feels like there's something going on behind the scenes that's impacting the whole team.

Who's to say that tough decisions have been made on who goes and stays behind the scenes. Could be a reason why the players are not listening to Des or don't care. Allow Des to clean up this team because in the end we aren't good enough atm.

I wonder what the date is where he has to activate his option.
Yeah not sure, You would think he has most of next year to decide. No doubt his managers will be testing the waters.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2