Monnaghan to make decision on Wednesday

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Manly NRL star Michael Monaghan will make a decision on where he will play next year within the next two days, according to his manager.

Monaghan, who has been granted a release from his contract at the Sea Eagles next year, was reportedly set to announce his signing with English Super League clubs Warrington or Hull for 2008.

But manager Jim Banaghan said after a meeting with the playmaker that Monaghan was still no closer to making a final decision.

"Nothing will be resolved until Wednesday," Banaghan said.

"We're doing a phone hook up with him tonight and we'll go through some issues there and talk to the NRL clubs tomorrow and then make a decision."

Banaghan said he was working through a "mountain" of interested clubs with formal offers believed to have come from three English Super League clubs and NRL outfit the Wests Tigers.

But he also wouldn't rule out Monaghan staying with the Sea Eagles in 2008.

"It's always an option, we haven't closed the gate on anything at this stage," Banaghan said.

"Michael would prefer to stay in the NRL, he's made no bones about that, but he has to sit down, and if this is going to be his penultimate contract he may as well make it a good one."

Tigers coach Tim Sheens said he believed a deal to take Monaghan to England had already been done.

"As I understand it, the thing with England is pretty well done," Sheens said.

"We discussed at one stage what he was earning was something we'd be interested in paying but not what he's now currently being offered.

"England just blew everyone out of the water."

Sheens made no secret of the fact Monaghan would be a welcome addition to the Tigers' playing ranks.

"He's a player that would give us a bit of depth in that position (halfback)," Sheens said.

"I'm not denying we're interested in the kid but that doesn't mean I'm disappointed in (Tigers halfback) John (Morris).

"It's just every year that (injury) happens with Benji we're in a bit of trouble and that fact that John has had a lot of experience at six was very much in the back of my mind when I had a sit-down with Monaghan."

The best thing Monnaghan could do is get rid of his dickhead manager.

im presuming that last line wasnt part of the story lol i was just reading away and read that , nearly fell of my chair.

true however, why does he have to carry on like a complete goose, " Mountain " of clubs, when anyone with half a brain could tell you thr clubs who would be interested and who coud afford him.

"We discussed at one stage what he was earning was something we'd be interested in paying but not what he's now currently being offered.

At this stage I don't really care what he does... I just want it to be done and dusted so we can work on where to go from if he stays or goes.

I am desperate to know what Des and the staff are thinking about now and long term.

I must admit at some stage i felt a degree of sympathy for the guy, but he is really stuffing everyone around and even i am getting sick of his antics. I still think he wants out now and is trying to force the clubs hand by threatening to stay on so the club can't make decent offers to the players they want to keep.

Yep this was supposed to be over Friday a week and a half ago.

It was meant to be announced tomorrow but again his manager has postponed.

If it continues on in this manner than the club should put a firm foot down at stop it.

It reeks of 2004's negotiations.

Monas would go very well at Union with a 10 on his back.
He can only pass one way and turns his back on the opposition the other. Very ordinary, though his long kicking into touch on the full might be a godsend.

No wonder Mullane went to Rugby. They like kicking out on the full in that game (from ones own quarter)

I must admit at some stage i felt a degree of sympathy for the guy, but he is really stuffing everyone around and even i am getting sick of his antics. I still think he wants out now and is trying to force the clubs hand by threatening to stay on so the club can't make decent offers to the players they want to keep.

i hope this is not the case, he has won many friends this year on the field, it would be a shame for his off field antics to lose them all buy stuffing the club around yet again. More so his manager who is a FWit

just when his making a name for himself hes going to england.. why?

i guess at his age.. you got to get the best $ you can get as footy doesnt go on forever.

Would you reject a $450-$500k offer? I wouldnt. Good luck to him. Im suprised its taken him this long to decide to go.

yeah thats serious money, hard to fathom, with the greatest respect to him, thats a truck load for someone of his abilties.

Not really a lot for english super league, Hecks went on 350 - 400K so you would think a playmaker would get a bit more, which is why so many head over that way mclinden, mcfadden and now monas - all the canberra boys

How long did The Ox take to make his decision, to come to Manly?
Byso - last year there was something called anti-tampering deadline and no one could talk prior to that.

This is negotiation mid-contract at Monaghan's request. You are not comparing apples with apples. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Short Memory..... I guess that’s what happens when you get old.

He didn't make his decision until about a month after the Deadline.

Remember all the mucking around with South’s, Melbourne and Manly (also another club).

Monas has also received other offers over the last few days.

CW, how long did it take you to make a decision to change schools?

It took me 2 weeks to make my decision to change jobs. I’m sure it would be more difficult for these players to do so.

This is negotiation mid-contract at Monaghan's request. You are not comparing apples with apples.
I repeat for your reading pleasure.

Congratulations for being so decisive - Do you really believe that Orford was going anywhere else apart from Manly???

If I was on $240k pa and someone offered me $450k pa for doing basically the same job (maybe even a bit easie) then I would take about 5 seconds to sign the new contract.

If Monnas is being offered the rumoured $450k pa then he should take it as he will never be offered that sort of money again in his lifetime.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4