Monaghan #9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
What Monaghan showed last night is that he is a good hooker. His defence was outstanding and his long kicking game was excellent, and would be lethal out of dummy half.

He also showed that as a firt receiver/half back that he is mediocre. Compare his attacking kicking game to sherwin close to the line. Substandard by comparison.

Compare his passing game, ability to break the line and to put a man in the gap against Jons in his prime. Sub standard.

So the club have decided he's a good hooker and have offered him say $200k. That's the going rate for a hooker these days and is a fair offer.

Monaghan and manager think he's a first string half back and want $300k+.

And we wonder why there's no deal on the table?

Good call by the club - it's worth the risk. If we get Orford and Ballin realises his promise we won't regret this.

A club captain that has taken us to equal first half way through the season from the cellar in about 6 months deserves a contract.

Last time I looked there were 17 players in a team.

Personally I reckon a bald number 13 has had a bigger impact than MM.

Having said that I think he deserves more respect than he has been accorded. Obviously his manager is not a favorite at Manly

The club said "they could not offer an acceptable offer".

Read between the lines.

Banaghan has made it clear what "acceptable" is and the club are not prepared to meet it.

Mata you are deadset kidding mate. mediocre halfback?

Yeah a mediocre halfback who his side is coming second on the ladder.

Our attack is fine. Just because were not belting some teams doesnt mean we are **** in attack. Watch the Raiders. Tigers, Souths, Cronulla games and watch how mediocre Monaghan is at halfback and get back to me.

If you expect him to carve up a great roosters side youve lost the plot. Orford cant even carve up the Roosters. Look how well hes done in finals footy over the last few years...

I dare say our side is coming second through the efforts of our forwards as opposed to the number 7.

Our pack are certainly in the Top 3 at the moment. Imagine what Orford could do behind them?

Don't forget that the Storm have just about the smallest pack going around and yet Orford can STILL look good behind them.

A club captain that has taken us to equal first half way through the season from the cellar in about 6 months deserves a contract.

Exactly.

The man has earnt the contract. FFs, just give him one!

The club said \"they could not offer an acceptable offer\".

Read between the lines.

Banaghan has made it clear what \"acceptable\" is and the club are not prepared to meet it.

After the ****e proffered by the club over the past 2 weeks he should have been offered a contract. Wether that contract was acceptable to Banagahan is irrelevant. In my most humble opinion the club had an obligation to offer an contract.

If that was not accepted then that is the world of business, what is unacceptable to me is to renege on an apparent committement.

You can just about throw the rest of this season out the window. Imagine being told by your boss that you're going to be made redundant in a couple of months but he wants you to be performing at your best until then, unlikely.

luckily for us monas wont give in but im not sure that he will be able to keep it up.

Certainly he wont get off his sickbed ala the canberra game

[quote author=c_eagle]

Exactly.

The man has earnt the contract. FFs, just give him one!
[/quote] To give him a contract requires that it meets his terms. He wants a contract that says $300k plus. Do you people understand what a salary cap is? Money does not grow on trees.

Offering a contract acceptable to the club is no problem. Delivering one that is acceptable to the Monaghan is impossible.

Can you see the difference? The club is not the bad guy here.

he said that he did not ask for more money.

prob is you are basing your arguements on what is posted by the club, both parties are sprouting crap.

if they want him to stay as hooker the club should offer what they think is acceptable. even if it is well under what he wants.

they said he had 2 weeks to prove he is worth a contract, which I think he is. albeit on Manly Management terms. that way mngt have dealt with the situation is poor, if they dont want him they should come out and say it.

they must have something in the pipeline to be doing this.

Obviously something is in the pipeline. However, it could be seen as management giving Monas the chance to show he was a top tier halfback.

What he actually showed us is that he's a top tier hooker.

I dont think he can prove he is a top tier halfback in 2 weeks, I have not been convinced he is and neither has the club buy the looks of the current situation.

I dont want him to leave. I am confused as to if the club wants him at all, even if as a hooker. if they did want him wouldnt they just offer what they are willing to pay? if he does not accept and moves on, well so be it.

I dare say our side is coming second through the efforts of our forwards as opposed to the number 7.

Our pack are certainly in the Top 3 at the moment. Imagine what Orford could do behind them?

oh man thats laughable. How many games have you been to? Against the tigers when we had our top 3 forward pack OUT... who won us the game? Watch it again and see who ran the show Mata.

Also this 'top 3' forward pack where 2 weeks ago we were coming last in most metres made stats. Do you know why we get good field position? Because of Monas and Witts great long kicking games which bail us out of the lack of forward movement we get.

Besides Watmough Kite and Choc noone else makes any metres. As you have clearly stated with your constant bagging of Kingy.

Hes set up at least 80% of our bloody tries and if you think he doesnt make much difference then youve lost the plot.

Lets not forget the backline Orford has compared to ours. With all due respect to our current backliners. Besides Stewart the rest arent going to reach any rep teams.

This is what Monas has to work with:

Stewart
Donald
Stephenson
Tezza
Hicks

compared to Orford:

Slater
Geyer
Bell
King
Webster/Inglis

If your going to compare how good Orford is going with his **** forward pack.. lets compare how Monas is going with his **** backline in contrast to Orfords.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4