Micheal Maquire on Matty Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Cartwright will be a better proposition that Barrett by a long shot. He is an experienced first grade coach with minor clubs and did fairly well, without being a standout. He could be a master stroke with a bunch of young talented kids ready to make their mark. I think he'll have more control over players behaviour. It also may encourage both Walker and Taupau to stick around. He has taken a low talent Titans into the final four twice. Thing is I'm sure it will be better than what we've been served up to date. The players we need are their. They just need some strategies and defence training. All is not lost guys, and maybe we'll be positively surprised.
Some of the players Cartwright had in 2009
Luke Bailey
Ashley Harrison
Mark Minichello (v underrated)
Preston Campbell
Scott Prince
David Mead (when he was great)
Kevin Gordon
Matty Rogers
Chris Walker
Nathan Friend
Brad Meyers
William Zillman (when he was at his best and fit)
Sam Tagatese
Bodene Thompson
Anthony Lanfranchi 200 plus 1st grade games and a premiership, as well as a bunch of other seasoned first graders, then they added Bird to that lot in 2010 and won one less game. So yeah... hardly a team of no names.

Same here... if the owners are now appointing such crucial positions within the club based upon who is the cheapest option, then I will have zero interest in forking out my cash for a Mickey Mouse membership. No way.

images.png

Some of the players Cartwright had in 2009
Luke Bailey
Ashley Harrison
Mark Minichello (v underrated)
Preston Campbell
Scott Prince
David Mead (when he was great)
Kevin Gordon
Matty Rogers
Chris Walker
Nathan Friend
Brad Meyers
William Zillman (when he was at his best and fit)
Sam Tagatese
Bodene Thompson
Anthony Lanfranchi 200 plus 1st grade games and a premiership, as well as a bunch of other seasoned first graders, then they added Bird to that lot in 2010 and won one less game. So yeah... hardly a team of no names.

And hardly a group of champion players either. Yet they finished 3rd that year. There was only one current Australian rep in the squad (Bailey) in 2009. And he only played 4 tests from 2003-2009. Prince played only 4 tests from 2005-8, Rogers played 11 tests, but they were between 1998-2000, and Myers played 4 tests in 2001. They were a group of solid first graders, but Prince was past his prime and Rogers and Myers were well past their prime

And hardly a group of champion players either. Yet they finished 3rd that year. There was only one current Australian rep in the squad (Bailey) in 2009. And he only played 4 tests from 2003-2009. Prince played only 4 tests from 2005-8, Rogers played 11 tests, but they were between 1998-2000, and Myers played 4 tests in 2001. They were a group of solid first graders, but Prince was past his prime and Rogers and Myers were well past their prime
At least he liked fast wingers, I recall Mead and Gordon burning us a few times back then.

Love your work @Bearfax... you’re like a dog with a bone. I like that.

If it is going to be Cartwright then i will be behind him 100% but before the fact i think there are better choices.
But like John Howard who was better the 2nd time around and went onto great success , maybe it will be the same for Carty and his 2nd chance as im sure he has learnt from his past experiences.the only thing that worrys me is was he the defensive coach ,does anyone know?because that and discipline are the 2 main areas they need to improve on

First of all I'm not a Penn family lover, but isn't there a non-player spend cap?

https://silvertails.net/threads/nrl-football-club-salary-cap-5-7-million-non-players.53021/

And ppl wanting the big name high priced option might be ruled out because of this?

Don't know but it seems we are stuck between a rock and a hard place having extended Carty and Randall whilst also probably having to pay out Barrett... Plus put on another coach + assistants etc

I'm not sure on the details of the 2019 cap (assuming it's still 5.7M until 2020) but maybe it's not a case of not putting money in, more so how much of the cap we have to spend on not just coaches but facilities related to the football operation of the club? Don't know if paying to play at Brookie is included in this cap also but if so then could be another reason why games are being taken away.

I'm not sold on Carty winning us a premiership but give the bloke a chance at least considering this might be out of the Penns control due to the other cap?

Just a thought....

Stop bashing Carty and give him a go .. Im sure none of us would mind if he ended up getting coach of the year . you never know.. Ill give him till round 13 before I start bashing him.. give him that at least..

We will all love him if he got us into top 4... #dreaming

Stop bashing Carty and give him a go .. Im sure none of us would mind if he ended up getting coach of the year . you never know.. Ill give him till round 13 before I start bashing him.. give him that at least..

We will all love him if he got us into top 4... #dreaming
Wasn't he our defensive coach this year?
Doesn't bode well really

Cartwright will be a better proposition that Barrett by a long shot. He is an experienced first grade coach with minor clubs and did fairly well, without being a standout. He could be a master stroke with a bunch of young talented kids ready to make their mark. I think he'll have more control over players behaviour. It also may encourage both Walker and Taupau to stick around. He has taken a low talent Titans into the final four twice. Thing is I'm sure it will be better than what we've been served up to date. The players we need are their. They just need some strategies and defence training. All is not lost guys, and maybe we'll be positively surprised.
SACK CARTWRIGHT

Wasn't he our defensive coach this year?
Doesn't bode well really

In our wonderful history we've only had 11 seasons where we leaked >500 points

1947 to 1998: No seasons >500 points scored against us. From 1947 to 2018 the average points scored against us in a season is 364.

1999 to 2005: All seasons >500 points against (average points against 701) - This was obviously the SL / Northern Eagles era

2016 to 2018: All seasons >500 points against (average points against 566) - The Barrett / Cartwright Era

Defence is all about attitude, teamwork, pride, commitment and not wanting to let your mates down. These are all things that are driven by Coaching and the team leadership. Cartwright has been part of that group, he has been a part of the problem and he can NOT fix this.

• 🤝
Reactions: Dan
How do we manage to spend more than $6m pa and still don't have a defensive coach or recruitment officer?

There has to be an investigation

How do we manage to spend more than $6m pa and still don't have a defensive coach or recruitment officer?

There has to be an investigation
Tooves tried to get an investigation going and they sacked him because it's a "results driven business".

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10