Micheal Maquire on Matty Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Payout battle stalls Barrett departure

The Sea Eagles are involved in a bitter payout battle with Trent Barrett, delaying an official announcement on his departure from the club.

Barrett wants to be paid until midway through next year, while the club wants to cut all ties - and wages - immediately.

Lawyers are likely to be required to settle the matter.
Meanwhile, the club has back-flipped on plans to hand the coaching job to Michael Maguire in 2019, with John Cartwright set to get the position.

Maguire was keen on the job and in Manly’s sights - but assistant coach Cartwright shapes as a much cheaper option.

A former Test and premiership-winning forward at Manly, Cartwright had a fair record in his time as head coach of the Titans and already knows the Manly systems, having worked with Barrett this year.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...the-mole/282a338e-85e6-4c55-aa02-96251516f96c

So it appears Madge was keen on the job and wanted to sign on but the Penn's backed out coz Cartwright turned out to be the cheaper option!
The players are running the club because they wanted Cartwright so they could continue the laid back style next year with little changing

They knew Maguire would have shaken the crap out of the club and players which is what is badly needed

The Sea Eagles are involved in a bitter payout battle with Trent Barrett, delaying an official announcement on his departure from the club.

Barrett wants to be paid until midway through next year, while the club wants to cut all ties - and wages - immediately.

Meanwhile, the club has back-flipped on plans to hand the coaching job to Michael Maguire in 2019, with John Cartwright set to get the position.

Maguire was keen on the job and in Manly’s sights - but assistant coach Cartwright shapes as a much cheaper option.

A former Test and premiership-winning forward at Manly, Cartwright had a fair record in his time as head coach of the Titans and already knows the Manly systems, having worked with Barrett this year.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...the-mole/282a338e-85e6-4c55-aa02-96251516f96c

Really? .... I must have been stoned that season

What the hell are the Penns doing? They need to get the coaching appointment right and cheap is definitely not right. If Cartwright had of been the man he would have got the job before Zoolander. Wake up gents!

That will literally do me. Gorman, Penn are absolute ****wits IF and that's a very big IF this is true (about being the cheapest option).

It also supports what Barrett has been saying all along. We are under capitalised.

Dead****s.

What the hell are the Penns doing? They need to get the coaching appointment right and cheap is definitely not right. If Cartwright had of been the man he would have got the job before Zoolander. Wake up gents!
Dont the Penns' realise that if they get Madge & we win a heap of games, then more revenue will be generated from gate-takings, merchandise etc. This should easily pay for his salary, even when it is much more that that for Cartwright.

For all we know the Penns may be using the Cartwright story to drive down Madge's asking price.
I guess if you look after the couple of hundred grand here and the couple hundred grand there, the millions take care of themselves?

If that's true because he is cheaper what hope do the Penns have on improving membership numbers next year? I for one will be asking for a cheap membership in order to watch this cheap team play..

If that's true because he is cheaper what hope do the Penns have on improving membership numbers next year? I for one will be asking for a cheap membership in order to watch this cheap team play..
Same here... if the owners are now appointing such crucial positions within the club based upon who is the cheapest option, then I will have zero interest in forking out my cash for a Mickey Mouse membership. No way.

Again you would have to call BS on that story its the 1st time i have heard that Maguire was in the sights at all let aline keen to sign Zorba went of out of his way to say we couldnt affotd some of the names mentioned
And as others and myself have said more winning games equals more revenue so get a winner in as a coach.mcguire qualifies as he overcame 43 dreary years of mediocrity to get souffs there 2014 win
Cartwright just sends all the wrong messages surely they can see this
If u want to be a top 8 team apart from the palyers which we largley have you need a top8 coach , now go and get him Mr Penn

Cartwright will be a better proposition that Barrett by a long shot. He is an experienced first grade coach with minor clubs and did fairly well, without being a standout. He could be a master stroke with a bunch of young talented kids ready to make their mark. I think he'll have more control over players behaviour. It also may encourage both Walker and Taupau to stick around. He has taken a low talent Titans into the final four twice. Thing is I'm sure it will be better than what we've been served up to date. The players we need are their. They just need some strategies and defence training. All is not lost guys, and maybe we'll be positively surprised.

Cartwright will be a better proposition that Barrett by a long shot. He is an experienced first grade coach with minor clubs and did fairly well, without being a standout. He could be a master stroke with a bunch of young talented kids ready to make their mark. I think he'll have more control over players behaviour. It also may encourage both Walker and Taupau to stick around. He has taken a low talent Titans into the final four twice. Thing is I'm sure it will be better than what we've been served up to date. The players we need are their. They just need some strategies and defence training. All is not lost guys, and maybe we'll be positively surprised.
Guess 40 odd % win ratio is good comparatively speaking, but jeez, we are setting the bar very, very low.

I guess a heap more of these feel good type posts might encourage a few people.

Guess 40 odd % win ratio is good comparatively speaking, but jeez, we are setting the bar very, very low.

I guess a heap more of these feel good type posts might encourage a few people.

I guess one has to get it all into perspective. Cartwright had a 45.3% win loss ration with a team only just returned into the comp after its earlier disastrous exit. Henry could only manage 37.3% with the same team. The teams Cartwright had, had a few good players including Prince, but he was really trying to get the best out of a second rate group. And yet he got them to 3rd and 4th at one stage. So I think the guy can coach, its just a question as to what level.

I don't think he would have made the mistakes Barrett has been making, though one wonders what he was offering as an assistant coach. Certainly as assistant coach for the Cows, he was on a winner. For mine, I think he'll be significantly better than Barrett, but whether he's got the ability to get Manly into a contenders role is open to conjecture. Wont hurt though if he helps to develop the side for 2 years and then if not able to get us higher than the bottom half of the finals, we get someone else. Even the Penns know that winners make the money.

First, you want us to jump on the local junior bandwagon, by suggesting Parker is going to somehow transform himself from Park footballer into a hole running, Beaver like backrower.... and now you want us to believe that Cartwright is really a good coach in disguise. Come on @Bearfax... you never heard the saying-if it looks like a turd and it smells like a turd...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12