MERGED: Board Issues Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
lovefooty i would argue the uncertainty caused by the current structure is not too different

I guess it just depends on which side of the fence you sit on

lovefooty

Reserve Grader
lsz said:
lovefooty i would argue the uncertainty caused by the current structure is not too different

I guess it just depends on which side of the fence you sit on

Not so isz. If one little spoiled rich boy wants to through his toys out of the cot when he doesn't get his own way, there are others with more toys that can continue the game. Penn has said he would leave if he doesn't get control. He said he would withdraw his funding.
That's why we need others with cash and means involved.
I wish I had more money but i do my best as sponsor.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree

I think there are as many potential issues with non financial entities having such power over the club (are the decisions based on what is best for the club or personal agenda's)

Either way i think the best way forward would be an independent review of the club structure (ownership all the way down to operations etc) to decide what is best

Fluffy

Journey Man
Penn has 50% and 3 votes just under 17% a vote.

Quantum has 2 votes for 37%, 18.5% per vote

If Penn were to get 4 votes @ 12.5% each then surely Quantum would then be entitled to 3 votes?

Fluffy said:

If Penn were to get 4 votes @ 12.5% each then surely Quantum would then be entitled to 3 votes?

Was thinking the same thing. He has the most votes, is just not happy when he doesn't get the votes going his way

lovefooty

Reserve Grader
voicefromthehill said:
Fluffy said:

Was thinking the same thing. He has the most votes, is just not happy when he doesn't get the votes going his way

And when that happens he threatens to pull funding and walk away. It appears to be control or nothing for them.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I wish we didn't have to read the spin in the later part of this thread and had some straight answers. Noone has told me a good reason why the Football Club reps have repeatedly voted against the Penns. (Apart from the alleged childish tantrums.) Max still has fingers in the pie and there is a supposed third saviour apparently in the wings.

I am so glad we have a successful footy team as otherwise there would be hell to pay.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Manly could be going back to the future in their search for an independent chairman. Sin Bin has been told there is support for the last man to hold the post, Joe Cross, to be handed the gig. It's clear Scott Penn is chairman in name only after a no-confidence motion was carried against him last week. He has also lost his authority to speak on behalf of the board, a responsibility now handed to Quantum boss Phil Sidney. While the moves suggest the Penn family is being pushed out the door, it's understood most directors are happy for them to remain as co-owners. However, recent board meetings have degenerated into slanging matches amid concerns that vested interests are being pushed. This is nothing new at Manly, but it's felt Cross, who vacated the chair in February 2008, did a good job in keeping personalities in check and on task.

From http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sea-eagles-board-glances-back-to-go-forward-20120616-20gnf.html#ixzz1y0SSgGHk
Adrian Proszenko

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Manly powerbroker Bob Reilly seeks truce

James Hooper
The Sunday Telegraph
June 17, 201212:00AM

MANLY board member Bob Reilly has called for peace in the Sea Eagles boardroom after a push to oust chairman Scott Penn sparked a fresh political brawl at the premiers.

In the latest internal brouhaha to engulf the Sea Eagles, Penn has threatened to quit the club after rival board members pushed a vote of no-confidence in him at a board meeting 11 days ago.

With a long and decorated history of being constantly at war, Sea Eagles powerbroker Reilly has called for a truce so the NRL premiers can focus on trying to win back-to- back titles.

The Sea Eagles host the Melbourne Storm at Brookvale Oval tomorrow night with the best seat in the house guaranteed to be the Manly directors' box with the seven warring board members hosting Independent Commission chairman John Grant.

"I just want control agendas to stop. I don't want the Penns to go, I don't want Qantam to go. If anything, we'd like another stakeholder to come in," Reilly said.

"We don't want to get trapped in a Michael Searle or a Nathan Tinkler-type model where someone can just spit the dummy and say, 'We're leaving.'

"This is what our issue is with private ownership. We don't want people to turn around and just spit the dummy and say we're leaving.

"We don't ever want to put the club at risk. We don't want anyone to leave, we would just like people to honour their commitments."

Reilly stressed the no-confidence motion in Penn had been put forward after his refusal to rotate the chairmanship but Penn has refuted this.

Former chairman Joe Cross has been put forward as a possible replacement as an 'independent chairman'.

Chief operating officer David Perry sent an email to the board stating he would refrain from getting involved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-powerbroker-seeks-truce/story-e6frexnr-1226397535742

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
If he was so keen to stop this i would assue it would be better to speak direct to the other parties than via the press

All this does is make it look like he is the "good guy" rather than solving any problems

Ryan

Journey Man
It's tough - when money is involved, ego's tend to be very erratic. I have no idea who is in the right or wrong, nor do I support any party over anyone else, BUT:-

These are all adults, with one common goal - Sea Eagles Premierships. Toughen up, sit down, show some empathy to one and other, and make it work.

It's almost as though the boards at Sea Eagles headquarters have the same level of inter-personal respect as the boards here at Silvertails.net.

Other clubs, fans must be beside themselves with delight in both areas.

As Cameron has said though - Perry is outstanding. I hear things in business channels about him (from his old cricket mates etc), and all reports are glowing.

Fluffy

Journey Man
if i can win the $30 million on June 30 i might join the pissing contest as well.....

My biggest problem with arrogant pricks in business (like it seems we have on our board) is that i dont give a flying fark about you or how/why you are in that position i just want you to do a good job at what you are doing.

At work this has hurt me (boss 2 up doesnt has asked for my reviews to be re-written down despite the KPI numbers) but those close to me appreciate that i call it how i see it (including calling bluffs/bull****e) and do what i think is best for the business.

I wish/hope our directors are the same, they call the bull****e but still keep doing what is right for the eagles. So far you could say they do. Yes we have a pissing contest but that is more over "naming rights" stuff rather that policy and procedure..

We wil be fine, there will always be someone else waiting to get to the trough.

Ryan

Journey Man
Thought I'd reply to some of your posts "The Eagle" now that you have access again, and I'll cut & paste some of your comments to me:-

1."You're the type of fish an average man with a rod could catch, its pretty pathetic when you're the laughing stock of the site and you keep biting again and again!

Souths have your club playing NSW cup so until the central coast gets accepted you can be a toothless bunny,I for I've wouldn't vote for anyone who wasn't pure".

2. "I rarely drink bear so make a bigger fool out of yourself, its causing me to laugh a lot"

3. "Go get help you bi polar merkin, you're mentally insufficient
You can't beat it alone"

4. "Boring old s**t, here's a fun fact bear. I'm living an almost straight edge lifestyle (other than occasional grog say twice a year) so go drink more and out the razors in the bin

5. Lol I assume Ryan was harping on about how great Des is as a person

Des does what's good for Des,I believe Cliffy Lyons more than I believe a bear with a huge crush on a filthy turncoat merkin who tried to tear manly apart on his exit

f**k Des, f**k Greenturd and f**k the dogs, super league scum who shouldn't be allowed to compete after cheating the cap

etc etc etc - more from other threads.

Now, I won't reply individually to the comments, but I will summarise by saying, if you can't take reaction, don't cast stones. Don't be calling ANYONE cyber bullies when you post commentary like you do above (and there are MANY more examples).

Here's a tip. If this forum means so much to you, maybe you need to go find another hobby to keep you busy.

If I flew off the handle like you have every time someone berated me like you have done above many times, I'd go into meltdown - like you seem to have done.

As people have alluded to you in the past, my comments are oft reactionary. Again, if you want people to take your guff, and not reply in kind, maybe Silvertails isn't the place for you.

I'm sorry, but your comments around legal action were and are ridiculous given the inflammatory comments you frequently post at and towards me & many others.

Lastly, I post under my name, Ryan. Thoroughly transparent. You post under "The Eagle". If you think you are personally affected by me replying to your posts, then you are kidding yourself.

My advice. Relax. If you don't have a good time here, and you don't have the capacity to accept feedback to your inflammatory posts, there are many other sites for you to frequent. I'm sure if you continue to lash out elsewhere, people WILL reply in kind to you - I'm sorry - that's life.

Going forward, if I'm called a laughing stock, bipolar, impure, and that you suggest I am to commit suicide (which you have done in various threads), YES, I will suggest you are on something.

Capice?

bones

Bones Knows
RE: Peace in Sea Eagles boardroom may rest on independent chair

lovefooty said:
I have said this before, I was told that Penn had agreed to rotate the chair

Like they do on the 'The Voice'.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I read this somewhere:

There was added drama when, for second meeting in a row, a 4-3 vote of no confidence was carried in Penn's chairmanship. But Penn again refused to step-down as chairman.

His empire's ownership of the Sea Eagles has also been reduced to minority status after the District Football Club purchased $70,000 worth of shares on Thursday night.

So.... Penn doesn't own a majority anymore?

Don't people say the fc doesn't have much money?

I'm as confused as an irishman who's told to stand in the corner of a round room.

(apologies to the irish, especially my good mate, Paddy o'furniture.)

lovefooty

Reserve Grader
globaleagle said:
I read this somewhere:

There was added drama when, for second meeting in a row, a 4-3 vote of no confidence was carried in Penn's chairmanship. But Penn again refused to step-down as chairman.

His empire's ownership of the Sea Eagles has also been reduced to minority status after the District Football Club purchased $70,000 worth of shares on Thursday night.

I'm as confused as an irishman who's told to stand in the corner of a round room.

This what I was told.
The Penns are now on 49% . The are nolonger the majority share holder.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
lovefooty said:
globaleagle said:
I read this somewhere:

This what I was told.

Thanks. :)

Gina Reinhart buying in?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What is breakdown now?

Where did this $70k come from? That's a lot of new members.

lovefooty said:
globaleagle said:
I read this somewhere:

This what I was told.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16