MERGED: Board Issues Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
RE: Peace in Sea Eagles boardroom may rest on independent chair

Jethro said:
I don't really know what to make of it either Cam but it does sort of come across to me that it is pointing the finger at Bob Reilly.
I have no clue but I really think a soulition is pretty easy just give penn what he wants being an extra board spot and give quantum and the footy club what they want an ind chair. Every body wins.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member

Lovefooty a no confidence motion that could see the majority shareholder leave the club, is for me, a significant decision that should have at least been discussed with the supporter base

Was it over a rotating chair position? Come on there has to be more to it

If there are legitimate reasons then they should be aired. It makes me wonder what would be the point of being a member if you only get the chance to voice your concerns at agms

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019

Townsville Eagle said:
If Penn gets a fourth spot does he not have balance of power 4-3?

Not if they add an extra spot it would
4, 2 and 2 with an indept chair

byso

First Grader

Then penn will suck up to the chair person like he did with Grant Mayer.

lsz said:
Lovefooty a no confidence motion that could see the majority shareholder leave the club, is for me, a significant decision that should have at least been discussed with the supporter base

Was it over a rotating chair position? Come on there has to be more to it

If there are legitimate reasons then they should be aired. It makes me wonder what would be the point of being a member if you only get the chance to voice your concerns at agms

Based on the info you can deduce it is not the chair alone. He apparently agreed to rotate the chair, but when time came he added conditions on it that would benefit him. I would lose confidence in someone if they pulled that kind of stunt

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member

I think its time all parties got back together and redrafted the constitution. A lot has changed in 10 years internally as well as externally. Clearly all parties are divisive on some matters and I can only see the club moving forward when all of these matters are discussed openly .

From where i sit it with NO internal information it would appear any relinquishment of power is to be avoided for fear of the unknown. Its time for all parties to openly discuss what powers they want and for a document and model to be formed to reflect all parties current needs and wants

Digging heels in and fighting for territory is not going to assist harmony and confidence. It appears all parties want more so let them all get together with what they are prepared to sacrifice to obtain more. Maybe they have done this but if all parties want whats best for the club its time to reveal all their cards, approach the table with honesty, integrity and a considerate attitude

sometimes people just liked to be thanked for what they bring with time and money , and a little understanding can help build bridges

Unless there are massive changes to the external environment its its difficult to see Manly under these guidelines being a power house in 20 years under the current model

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

lovefooty said:
Jethro said:
I don't really know what to make of it either Cam but it does sort of come across to me that it is pointing the finger at Bob Reilly.

So Reilly cop,s it again for standing up for the members again. The penns want control of the football club. They then can do what ever they like with out any questions.
I can understand Costello as the penns control the rent and loans to the leagues club. They are not trading well and need the Penn support to keep the doors open.

Just getting this straight lovefooty, I am not the one pointing the finger at Bob Reilly because I don't know all of the facts to be able to make that judgement. To me, the article comes across as pointing the finger at him. The reasons that I say this are as follows:

• It confirms that Saturday's SMH article was correct when it reported that during a three-hour meeting of directors at Manly Leagues Club last Wednesday night that the Manly board (which includes Bob Reilly as one of the two Football Club representatives), passed a no-confidence motion in Penn's chairmanship with a vote of 4-3, and asked Penn to step down as Chairman.

• The article then goes on to say that Penn has "received unanimous backing by the separate leagues club board at a meeting on Sunday".

• It then goes on to say "Bob Reilly, one of four members of the Sea Eagles board who voted to strip Penn of his role as the board's spokesman, did not attend the leagues club meeting."
I do realise that the Manly Board vote last Wednesday night was for a vote for of no confidence in Penn's chairmanship and the Leagues Club meeting on Sunday where Penn recieved "unanimous backing" was for a different matter, but, the article went to great lengths of pointing out that "The leagues club board comprises former players Max Krilich, Cliff Lyons and Peter Peters, as well as Kerry Sibraa, Brian Smith, Costello and Reilly" and the fact that Bob didn't attend the Leagues Club meeting.

ManlyBacker

Winging it

I have one question. The structure of the MWSE voting rights @ http://www.seaeagles.com.au/family has the Leagues Club having one vote. Which person cast this vote against Scott Penn holding the Chairman's position when the Leagues Club has come out in support of him? It doesn't make sense to me.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member

Control of the Leagues Club's vote was passed to Penn as part of the funding agreement that was entered into last? year. That's how he got from 2 to 3 votes. FC has 2 and Quantum 2.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
RE: BOARD ISSUES - Our Right to Know

Vidmar's post suggests that this thing is a power struggle between the Penns and others. Max's Facebook comments indicate the same, using Zorba as an example of a mouthpiece of the Penns. Other stupid people seem to be blaming Perry, though that is stupid as he is answerable to the board but not on it.

My question is - Why have the Football Club representatives consistently voted against Penns? (except on the buyout of the Leagues Club)? The infamous BS letter to members about the Penns wanting to take Manly away from Manly was not true. Is there more on the Hasler departure we don't know about? A lot of this stinks and a lot of supporters don't like their club being dragged through the mire once again.

I would love to know what the real agendas are?

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member

I would never sell, says defiant Penn
Rugby League

12 Jun 12 @ 12:35am by Jon Geddes

SEA Eagles chairman Scott Penn says he has no interest in selling his share of the club to co-owners Quantum.

Penn made the announcement after Quantum boss and fellow board member Phil Sidney said he was prepared to buy out Penn’s stake in the club after a vote of no-confidence was passed on Penn as chairman last Wednesday.

Penn Sport owns just over 50 per cent of the Sea Eagles and has three of the seven board seats, while Quantum owns 37 per cent (two seats) and the district club the rest.

“We are not necessarily seeking control, we are seeking fair representation at board level based on our shareholding,” Penn said.

Asked if he would consider selling to Quantum, Penn replied: “Absolutely not. We have always been in this to support the team, we are copping a bad wrap because the other parties are looking at some sort of power play.”

Board member Bob Reilly yesterday broke his silence to speak to The Manly Daily on behalf of the Manly district club he represents and declared the district club doesn’t want the Penns to walk away from Manly.

“We appreciate the Penns’ support within the organisation as well as that of Quantum,” said Reilly, who is also chairman of the district club.

“And we would like any bid for control of Sea Eagles stopped.”

Reilly said the district club wants to see more owners involved, not less.

And he would like to see Anthony Johnston from club sponsor URM involved after they expressed an interest in buying in last year.

Reilly said the two board spots held by the district club are protected by the company deed.

“And we don’t have to own any shares for those two board spots to be in place,” Reilly said.

“That was part of the deal when the Penns bought in and we have no interest in changing that.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/i-would-never-sell-says-defiant-penn/

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
On that note what ever happened to the court case?

As fans i would think we should get some sort of explanation - of what they are able to say

lovefooty

Reserve Grader
byso said:
Hard to disagree with Bob on this one.

I had the whole team in yesterday for breakfast and there were comments from a lot of players that there is danger in only having one owner. One senior player said to me that they would not like to be like the gold coast were no one knows what will happen next year to the sqaud. He said that some gold coast players were looking a getting out.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12